X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrbeuys
    • May 2008

Watch Rick dye his hair. Yes.

Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
      For those like me who refuse to click on any Hypebeast link

The designer begins his day by answering a few emails, taking a shower — and dyeing his own hair.

Also, how can you not love Rick after this?
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• stemcell
        • Jul 2011

I love the hair dye video. He always feels so relatable.

Another random note of discussion: I really wish he'd experiment with bottom pieces more. I can't help put look at cyclops and wish some of those sculptural tunics had been designed as large, abstract statement pod shorts. He always puts the best stuff up top, but especially in summer, sometimes it would be nice to have a basic tank top and then something wild on the bottom. Not just giant pants, but something more unique, yet easy enough to wear and walk in. The wreck tee is one of my favorite pieces that I own, but I really wish I had something like it to wear on the lower half sometime.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by stemcell View Post
          I love the hair dye video. He always feels so relatable.

Another random note of discussion: I really wish he'd experiment with bottom pieces more. I can't help put look at cyclops and wish some of those sculptural tunics had been designed as large, abstract statement pod shorts. He always puts the best stuff up top, but especially in summer, sometimes it would be nice to have a basic tank top and then something wild on the bottom. Not just giant pants, but something more unique, yet easy enough to wear and walk in. The wreck tee is one of my favorite pieces that I own, but I really wish I had something like it to wear on the lower half sometime.
          Interesting that you notice this. I've said this several years ago, that Rick seems less comfortable designing the bottom. Which must mean that contrary to the water sports Chresteene video, he really is a top.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DudleyGray
            • Jul 2013

^lol

Originally posted by stemcell View Post
            I think he's actually done a terrific job on expanding his bottoms offerings since the 2008-2011 golden era; I can barely keep up myself. My little obsessive mental checklist:

Walrus – bulldozer pants
            Mastadon – pannier/firbanks/bells and cargo joggers
            Cyclops – cargo boxers
            Sphinx – ?
            Faun – jumbo and flounced shorts
            Moody – mega shorts
            Vicious – short shorts
            Plinth – memphis
            Island – ?
            Mountain – astaires
            Naska – pillar skirts
            Limo – skirted detroit
            Anthem, Gleam, Release, Crust - triangle wedge pod
            Stag, Strutter – basket swinger

And that's not counting all the little variants that he plays around with, like the pods have changed a lot since their introduction. I might be wrong on some of these as far as when they were introduced, I'd love to know where I'm wrong or what I'm missing. I did notice that he didn't have any substantially new shorts offerings this season, which is fine, I don't want to want more clothes.
            bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Sorry, to clarify, I meant the women's offerings. I myself live in the DRKSHDW Detroits and Memphis and jonezing for the new slim cargo model, which will surely become a staple in my wardrobe.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jurassicsnark
                • Sep 2015

For what it's worth, as a woman, I agree completely.

Although Ann is my favorite designer, I'd wager that I own more pieces from Rick than any other designer. But, while I have several jackets, tops, sweaters, and even skirts, dresses and leggings, I only have one pair of proper trousers from Rick, and I still struggle to make them work. Certainly my own body shape and style plays into this, but on the whole, I'd say it's definitely where he's weakest as a womenswear designer.

Comment

• stemcell
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
                  ^lol

I think he's actually done a terrific job on expanding his bottoms offerings since the 2008-2011 golden era; I can barely keep up myself. My little obsessive mental checklist:

Walrus – bulldozer pants
                  Mastadon – pannier/firbanks/bells and cargo joggers
                  Cyclops – cargo boxers
                  Sphinx – ?
                  Faun – jumbo and flounced shorts
                  Moody – mega shorts
                  Vicious – short shorts
                  Plinth – memphis
                  Island – ?
                  Mountain – astaires
                  Naska – pillar skirts
                  Limo – skirted detroit
                  Anthem, Gleam, Release, Crust - triangle wedge pod
                  Stag, Strutter – basket swinger

And that's not counting all the little variants that he plays around with, like the pods have changed a lot since their introduction. I might be wrong on some of these as far as when they were introduced, I'd love to know where I'm wrong or what I'm missing. I did notice that he didn't have any substantially new shorts offerings this season, which is fine, I don't want to want more clothes.

None of this quite crosses into what I was talking about. It actually proves the point I was trying to vaguely make. He releases so many pants. Between preco, drkshdw, and mainline the buys for shorts and pants seem to get more massive every season. I love all the pants you listed and I am glad he offers those variations, but regarding these, we're still talking about relatively basic pant shapes or relatively basic iterations of what have become his basics. Sure over all he's offered some really special pants, but releasing a version of pod shorts with cargo pockets is not what I meant. I meant larger scale design experiments for the lower half of the body. The pillar skirts or bulldozer pants come closest, but again referencing the sculptural tunics of cyclops, or the experimental top pieces from mastodon or especially walrus and glitter— I'm just suprised we haven't seen something like this on the bottom. A total abstraction of his pod shorts, the way we've seen total abstractions of jackets and tops. The "emotion" sweatshirts from mastodon for example, I'm just so curious to see what if what's going on there was actually going on around the legs instead.

Comment

• stemcell
                    • Jul 2011

Island had the savage pods.

Sphinx had the cashmere knitted pods, that's a perfect example of what I am surprised there isn't a little more of, that kind of experimentation on the bottom. It's not like I need this, it was just more so something I have noticed when checking the new arrivals— it's like a million pairs of the same pants lol.

Comment

• Lex1017
                      • Jul 2015

Draping a top is much easier than draping a bottom with 2 legs. He has definitely done draped skirts for women that have been very interesting. Draping around 2 legs would be quite difficult to make a sample, grade, and sell. For me, I love the trousers, and contrary to popular opinion I love the direction he is taking them.I honestly think a pair of trousers with all of those draped elements would look awful but that's just my thoughts. I think the bulldozer trousers bridge that gap nicely without being over done. I love them.

Comment

• ahn
                        • Jul 2012

I now have three? I think... pairs of pants by Rick, and the fits are all wildly off. I have some drkshdw denim leggings which are eye-waveringly tough to get on they're so tight in a size S... yet in the same size I have some drkshdw waxed denim biker pants/leggings that are huge in the waist and crotch. Also got the same biker pants design in the leather/knee-cap version from mainline, which fit differently AGAIN although could possibly be the fabric. It's really frustrating, esp considering his background in pattern making.
                        some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• wubay white
                          • Feb 2017

I have a question in what season did rick stop putting the strap in drkshdw jeans hoodies and shirts? thanks in advance

Comment

• Anton
                            • Oct 2014

Not sure if this was posted already, but just noticed that ssense has a Rick Owens exclusive...https://www.ssense.com/en-us/men/pro...jacket/2129767

Are they selling a ton of RO so they got an exclusive?

I love beautiful melodies, telling me terrible things.
                            My Music: https://soundcloud.com/iamanton

Comment

• mrbeuys
                              • May 2008

RICK OWENS — Maybe kids need acid.

Last edited by mrbeuys; 03-27-2017, 12:24 PM.
                              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• etgreg
                                • Jan 2011

Thanks mrbeuys. Always interesting to read.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎