X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Casius
    • Dec 2006

Re: RICK OWENS

Zamb, I agree with all your points and I think we both answered the question. I think it's just a matter of opinion. I for one, am like yourself; I would choose to leave some things out in respect to others if I ever were to create clothing. Obviously Rick isn't holding back as much as we would, haha.
    "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

Zam's question is really interesting, as are all the responses.

I was thinking about the same thing when I was posting the Galliano show, and then today while looking at pictures of the Dior Versailles HC collection. As much as I hated the men's collection, I had to admit to myself that the show really wasn't about the clothes, had nothing to do with the clothes, and that it would be foolish to try and judge it in their terms. I guess he reminded me that fashion can be so much more--and is more-- than just garments to be worn. I won't go on about that here, although I would like to hear more responses to the show....

In contrast, what's funny with Rick is how little his persona and his personal history have to do with the actual designs. The two things are completely separable, so you can hate what he stages with the suicide T and the dvd, but still love his clothes. Or, conversely, buy his clothes as a means to getting a bit of his persona, as Faust suggests.

I wonder who the bigger egomaniac, is, John or Rick. [:P]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Laika, I think you are being a little bit unfair to Rick here :-) To me it's obvious that, notwithstanding Queen Karla, Galliano's ego stretches beyond infinity and goes faster than the speed of light. Look at his menswear shows - there is no clothes there. Look what he sells in stores - jeans, tshirts, and sweatshirts. Faux pas. It screams, "I will make it, and you will buy it," to me. That's why he can stage spectacles instead of runway shows.

What I like about Rick is that he is not a chameleon (a la Galliano). He makes the clothes that clearly come from a certain set point of view (and from what I was told, he's a real workaholic, he spends 10 out of 12 months at his factory in Italy, not at S&M clubs). Regardless how that point of view has arisen, he manifests it in his clothes. And he wears his own clothes, I love that. That's what I love about Ann, too - she wears her own clothes. This is the clothes they make for themselves and their friends and share with us (for money, of course). I think there is a bit of integrity in this. It's seeking understanding. I, for once, always feel happy when someone else likes the same thing I do - there is a moment of affinity there, a certain absolutely basic satisfaction of longing for being understood, for not being alone in this world. Maybe I am romanticizing this, but I could feel it.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
          • Oct 2006

I still think the mens high-heeled boots look pretty awesome and would definitely wear a pair if I dressed that way. Hell, I'd probably actually be able to join the "people of moderate height club," at 6 feet tall.

Assuming that the heels are at least 4 inches.
          WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• zamb
            • Nov 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"]I still think the mens high-heeled boots look pretty awesome and would definitely wear a pair if I dressed that way. Hell, I'd probably actually be able to join the "people of moderate height club," at 6 feet tall.

[/quote]

Here is the great modifier of your statement.........

the fact is you dont dress that way, and 99.9% of men dont, (at least not publicly) , I see you are the same height as i am, and i just want to say something about height/ looks etc.

barring some serious deformity, i honestly believe people ought to accept themselves as they are. While i admire the handsomeness of other men,

( i think Mike b is Handsome, and i am a straight man) sometimes wish i were 2-3 inches taller, I dont want to achieve it by artificial means (i am not saying that you do either)

It is the same reason why i wont do cosmetic surgery on the facial scars that i have, i am me, the way i was created and thats life, of course we all want to better ourselves, but what does it means to be better?

Someone once asked me why i am always so happy, as if i dont care about things in the world, my response was very simple.....................

whatever i can fix in life i do, and whatever i cannot, i either leave alone or have someone who is better able to do so address it.

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Servo2000
              • Oct 2006

[quote user="zamb"][quote user="Servo2000"]I still think the mens high-heeled boots look pretty awesome and would definitely wear a pair if I dressed that way. Hell, I'd probably actually be able to join the "people of moderate height club," at 6 feet tall.

[/quote]

Here is the great modifier of your statement.........

the fact is you dont dress that way, and 99.9% of men dont, (at least not publicly) , I see you are the same height as i am, and i just want to say something about height/ looks etc.

barring some serious deformity, i honestly believe people ought to accept themselves as they are. While i admire the handsomeness of other men,

( i think Mike b is Handsome, and i am a straight man) sometimes wish i were 2-3 inches taller, I dont want to achieve it by artificial means (i am not saying that you do either)

It is the same reason why i wont do cosmetic surgery on the facial scars that i have, i am me, the way i was created and thats life, of course we all want to better ourselves, but what does it means to be better?

Someone once asked me why i am always so happy, as if i dont care about things in the world, my response was very simple.....................

whatever i can fix in life i do, and whatever i cannot, i either leave alone or have someone who is better able to do so address it.

[/quote]

In this case it is a financial, rather than aesthetic, decision. I find it easier on the wallet to dress well, rather than in a manner that might be inspiring as a statement about gender roles in fashion. It wouldn't be that hard to lose 20 pounds and be as thin as a model for me, however, making the amount of money to, in my opinion, tastefully make that statement, greatly outweights what I would gain. I don't really see why it matters what 99% of the population can or cannot do, as I am not doing things for them. I'm doing them for a select few who, I hope, may identify with me and my decisions.
              WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• andrewislasorad
                • Nov 2006

I've always loved this look.

Comment

• H-R
                  • May 2007

is it just me or the boots on that pic above are really made of different leather from the pic posted by cas a couple pages back?

Comment

• Casius
                    • Dec 2006

Some new pics, courtesy of lift Japan.

Loving some of the looks here!
                    "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• justine
                      • Jan 2007

Zamb, could you stop saying Rick dresses like a "tranny". Or please elaborate, what are you refering to _exactly_? Tranny as in Transexuals (pre-op or post-op), transvestites, cross-dressers, drag-queen, .... ? You seem very disturbed by him wearing high-heals ('that look like women shoes") and I'm sure if you clarify why your point will be interpreted better.
                      Don't take my comment the wrong way but the repeated use of 'he dresses like a tranny' is a little offensive and sounds like the comments from straight boys (not the good kind either) I hear when I happen to go out with some of my friends who do wear heals out.
                      Sincerely.
                      J.

Comment

• kavaj
                        • Sep 2006

Casius - where can I find those pictures in a bigger size?

Comment

• cem
                          • Apr 2007

[quote user="kavaj"]Casius - where can I find those pictures in a bigger size?
                          [/quote]

I'm also interested in pictures in a larger size! :)

Comment

• cem
                            • Apr 2007

[quote user="kavaj"]Casius - where can I find those pictures in a bigger size?
                            [/quote]

I'm also interested in pictures in a larger size! :)

Comment

• cbdas
                              • Oct 2006

Lifts pictures are so small , such a tease .. so I doubt you are going to get those pictures a bigger size .

Comment

• zamb
                                • Nov 2006

[quote user="justine"]Zamb, could you stop saying Rick dresses like a "tranny". Or please elaborate, what are you refering to _exactly_? Tranny as in Transexuals (pre-op or post-op), transvestites, cross-dressers, drag-queen, .... ? You seem very disturbed by him wearing high-heals ('that look like women shoes") and I'm sure if you clarify why your point will be interpreted better.

Don't take my comment the wrong way but the repeated use of 'he dresses like a tranny' is a little offensive and sounds like the comments from straight boys (not the good kind either) I hear when I happen to go out with some of my friends who do wear heals out.

Sincerely.

J.

[/quote]

Good Day J,

I said many things in the posts that i made previously, and i think if you look at all of them taken together, you will understand where i am coming from, what my positions/ viewsare, and there would be no need to try and interpret my statements as they are quite basic and clear.

I think I do a reasonably good Job of saying exactly what i want to communicate, this prevents the neccessity of trying to interpret my statements as opposed to taking them as the are.

the comment that i made about dressing like a "tranny" is in regards to a particular picture, and not how he generally expresses himself in his everyday dress.

Also, why should you find my statements offensive?

We live in a free society with laws and provisions forus to do whatwe want (so long as the law permits)and repremand and punishthose who would try to prevent you (or me) from doing such, so what does it matter what i say or what my views are with respect to you?.

I too have (male)friends who wear heels, as some of my most notable friends are not straight persons.

It doesnt mean that i agree with them wearing it, nor are they any less my friend because they do.

i have certain convictions about certain things, but i will not get into them here,simply because this is a forum for fashion (albeit with its relevance in the wider society) not for me to promote my personal views on a given subject, there are other times and places for that.

all things being equal , I do like Mr. Owens work (at least some of it) and dont know him well enough as a person to like or dislike him................I just thing hat his work (as a designer) is too good for him to feel he needs all of these shenanegans attached to it

Also, sorry you are offended, as that was never my intent.......
                                “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                                .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎