• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: RICK OWENS

/\ Good question. Same thing has been debated in literary criticism - do you judge a text solely on its own merit, or do you connect it with the author?

I say, both :-)

In case of Rick, for example, I can easily separate his persona from his creations. He does his thing, and he does it well.

In case of Ann, not so much. Her work is deeply imbued with her personality and her outlook on the world. It's also deeply intertwined with her own taste in art (Patti Smith, Jiliet Margaret Cameron, etc.), and there is just too much internal feeling that she projects into her clothes. It's always cool to see a manifestation of one's feelings - isn't that what art is about, at least in part?

Maybe Rick does that too, I just don't feel/see it. I've never read Rick explain why he does what he does. There is a definite gothic viking vibe with some s&m thrown in, but I can't figure out if it's genuine or not. It does not detruct from his clothing in my opinion - I still like a lot of it.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

Good point, I'd say literary analysis is one of the most "evolved" form of criticism we have access to, which is a boon considering that A)books rock and B) a lot of it is transferrable to other fields where the body of knowledge is less impressive.

As for Rick, I don't really understand anything about Mr, Viking, I mean referring to someone like Brancusi, who presented creations of pure abstraction, could be approriate for a sculptor or a painter but a designer is someone that takes a stand towards reality and solving the problems inherent to our time so I doubt this applies. I mean, while they may love and get some inspiration from Kandinski, I certainly hope no architect think they present similar work.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• een
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="Casius"]You would think, but I have only come to find Maxfield as being the only RO menswear carrier in LA. Planning to check it out around my birthday in May and see what they have for Spring. I'm curious to see if thier pricing is any different from Ateliers'.[/quote]

Weird - I'd imagine Barneys would have it for sure.

[/quote]

barney's has DRKSHDW, but not a very deep stock. maxfield bleu still has a fair amount of RO and DRKSHDW, as well as some l'maltieri and linea. acres of current RO at maxfield. my guess is that most of the odd (i.e. not dark) colors in the cotton pieces will be available on sale after the season for half or two/thirds off at bleu (i recently picked up 3 long sleeved t's from fall for about $125 each - caramel - orange - beige). maxfield tends to hold on to the better bits for a season or two. or six.

maxfield's markup is inconsistent, and tends to be higher than atelier. that said, the store is pretty amazing, and the stock is deeeeeep, the staff very cool (by la standards - the staff at A are exceptional) and my girlfriend and i have purchased many items from them at, ahem, full (or full+) retail. cos, well, y'know.....

Comment

• Casius
          • Dec 2006

[quote user="een"][quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="Casius"]You would think, but I have only come to find Maxfield as being the only RO menswear carrier in LA. Planning to check it out around my birthday in May and see what they have for Spring. I'm curious to see if thier pricing is any different from Ateliers'.[/quote]

Weird - I'd imagine Barneys would have it for sure.

[/quote]

barney's has DRKSHDW, but not a very deep stock. maxfield bleu still has a fair amount of RO and DRKSHDW, as well as some l'maltieri and linea. acres of current RO at maxfield. my guess is that most of the odd (i.e. not dark) colors in the cotton pieces will be available on sale after the season for half or two/thirds off at bleu (i recently picked up 3 long sleeved t's from fall for about $125 each - caramel - orange - beige). maxfield tends to hold on to the better bits for a season or two. or six.

maxfield's markup is inconsistent, and tends to be higher than atelier. that said, the store is pretty amazing, and the stock is deeeeeep, the staff very cool (by la standards - the staff at A are exceptional) and my girlfriend and i have purchased many items from them at, ahem, full (or full+) retail. cos, well, y'know.....

[/quote]

Thank you so much for the info een, greatly appreciated. I just might have to make a trip this week. :)
          "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Casius
            • Dec 2006

New A/W sneakers. I prefer the all black or white, these are just 'okay' in my opinion. Comes in black with white or white with black.

Comment

• PrinceOfCats
              • Jan 2007

The image of Rick Owens in heels is sewn onto the insides of his men's t-shirts.
              the extraordinary metamorphosis of one black liquid into another

Comment

• Casius
                • Dec 2006

[quote user="PrinceOfCats"]The image of Rick Owens in heels is sewn onto the insides of his men's t-shirts.
                [/quote]

It's sewn into pretty much every DRKSHDW piece (also, those sneakers above).

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="PrinceOfCats"]The image of Rick Owens in heels is sewn onto the insides of his men's t-shirts.
                  [/quote]

The question is, is it the ego or the id?

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
                    • Dec 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

[/quote]

The question is, is it the ego or the id?

[/quote]

I'm going to have to say both. I mean, who puts pictures of themselves on thier own clothing line? haha

Comment

• cem
                      • Apr 2007

[quote user="Casius"]New A/W sneakers. I prefer the all black or white, these are just 'okay' in my opinion. Comes in black with white or white with black.

[/quote]

Oh, the black / white accent sneakers are sick! Anyone know how much they run?

Comment

• Casius
                        • Dec 2006

Anywhere from $950-1200 depending on where you get them. Why-lip (the place those pictures are from) is doing pre-orders for them and I believe they are asking 148,000 Yen which is $1,239 US.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Casius"]Anywhere from $950-1200 depending on where you get them. Why-lip (the place those pictures are from) is doing pre-orders for them and I believe they are asking 148,000 Yen which is $1,239 US.[/quote]

that's just nuts.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• PrinceOfCats
                            • Jan 2007

They look like something Bape would make.
                            the extraordinary metamorphosis of one black liquid into another

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

the zipper in the side is nice, i dont like them though, reminds me too much of the eighties hip-hop scene, which is something I dislike very much
                              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Casius
                                • Dec 2006

[quote user="zamb"]the zipper in the side is nice, i dont like them though, reminds me too much of the eighties hip-hop scene, which is something I dislike very much
                                [/quote]

Haha, I think that's why I like them! Although, I would never actually go out and buy them, just a tad bit too clunky for my big feet. I also wish he would have made an all black version, without the white on the sole, I think that would've been hot.

Faust-I know, $1200 for sneakers! And we all thought Ann D.'s sneakers were expensive.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎