X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrbeuys
    • May 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    I find mirrors tacky and off-putting. There was a brilliant passage on mirrors in gyms in Milan Kundera's Immortality. It dealt with lack of bodily privacy in the contemporary world. I feel something along these lines - too much spectacle...
    I can relate to this, I don't enjoy looking at myself in or walking past mirrors, makes me feel like someone (myself) is watching me which feels like I am being exposed. Something about their only purpose being to duplicate reality doesn't sit right with me. I am still trying to grasp the original, don't bother me with another copy.
    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

/\ haha, so true, the last sentence.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Sombre
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        I find mirrors tacky and off-putting. There was a brilliant passage on mirrors in gyms in Milan Kundera's Immortality. It dealt with lack of bodily privacy in the contemporary world. I feel something along these lines - too much spectacle...
        Mirrors in gyms are for watching your technique so you can perfect it and avoid serious injury.

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
        I can relate to this, I don't enjoy looking at myself in or walking past mirrors, makes me feel like someone (myself) is watching me which feels like I am being exposed. Something about their only purpose being to duplicate reality doesn't sit right with me. I am still trying to grasp the original, don't bother me with another copy.
        I suppose it's a matter of perception and overall comfort. For me, the only way I will completely grasp and be comfortable with "the original" as you put it, is to see it the way others do - detached. There are also parts of myself I cannot see without a mirror, so its usefulness cannot be denied. For the matter of me watching myself, I certainly have nothing to hide from myself, so it isn't an issue.

I do prefer private mirrors, so the ones at RO Seoul should be supplementary to ones in the fitting rooms. I'm not too fond of the set-up at Atelier, where you have to exit the fitting room to know what something looks like on you. There's no inner monologue.
        An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
        I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• theetruscan
          • Jan 2008

At least in a gym, mirrors around the free weight area are a safety consideration as much as anything. This summer my gym had no mirrors anywhere except in one tiny room, and so whenever I started doing a new exercise my trainer and I needed to go there so I could know what proper form looked like. I'm always uncomfortable using weights with no mirrors (cardio, cables, and other machines are another issue).
          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• diamonds
            • Dec 2006

I guess some people are afraid of their own reflections.

Comment

• whitney
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
              New Rick Owence [sic] store in Tokyo reviewed (I think) here:

http://openers.jp/fashion/news/rickowence.html
              thanks for sharing.

the mirrors seem to be here and there..then theres the zigzag wall of mirrors.. for a sec there i thought the whole store, wall to wall was mirrored..that would be freaky.

but i agree, its nice to hold up the garment, look at it, then put it in front of yourself in the mirror and think, does this shade look nice with my skin? is it too long on me? etc before taking it to try on in the dressing room.

if it was an outer piece like jacket or cardi i'd just try it on there
              you stole my signature :insert mad face:

Comment

• Fade to Black
                • Sep 2008

not to carry off topic for too long, but just one comment on -

Originally posted by SombreResplendence View Post
                Mirrors in gyms are for watching your technique so you can perfect it and avoid serious injury.
                This is the ideal, intended use for mirrors in gyms. The actual, practical use is to see if your arms or legs have pumped up a bit after an intense set of curls or squats.
                www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• merkuri
                  • Sep 2009

it is critically important to form to have mirrors around IMO. when i am military pressing 275, i don't want to guess as to hand position.

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                  At least in a gym, mirrors around the free weight area are a safety consideration as much as anything. This summer my gym had no mirrors anywhere except in one tiny room, and so whenever I started doing a new exercise my trainer and I needed to go there so I could know what proper form looked like. I'm always uncomfortable using weights with no mirrors (cardio, cables, and other machines are another issue).

Comment

• polishmike
                    • Jan 2007

so arod is doing it wrong?

Comment

• lowrey
                      ventiundici
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by merkuri View Post
                      it is critically important to form to have mirrors around IMO. when i am military pressing 275, i don't want to guess as to hand position.
                      tell me about it, when I'm pressing that 45lbs, that shit could kill me
                      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Castor
                        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by gnarjen View Post
                        Feb issue of Vogue Paris

dariaro
                        Even Daria can't save this photo . . .
                        Originally posted by DRRRK
                        The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                          • Jan 2007

I agree that the mirrors are excessive. Many stores seem to do this. I like having some mirrors outside of the changing rooms because it means you can try on a coat or some shoes without having to go into the changing room. But sooner or later it gets too much. On the other hand, not having mirrors in the changing room should be a punishable crime. Chegini does it, and it bothers me every time because the fawning SA always tell you how great everything looks before you've even taken a look yourself. Obnoxious.

I like every other aspect of the store though. The choice of stone/cement, the color of it, the extreme adherence to basic geometrical forms. Really beautiful IMO.

On the subject of mirrors:
                          Originally posted by jogu
                          i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• LupinTheFourth
                            • Aug 2009

Yes

Originally posted by ProfMonnitoff View Post
                            On the subject of mirrors:
                            Mirrors are great! :) and camcorders.
                            Last edited by Faust; 02-05-2010, 06:36 PM. Reason: do not repost pictures on the same page
                            modern man

Comment

• kbi
                              • Feb 2009

has someone been to the NY store lately and noticed wether they've got the black cap toe sneakz in leather?

Comment

• mononon
                                • Sep 2009

two questions:

(1) how does leather jackets in milk colour age / does it get really dirty easily?

(2) does anyone have stock pics / runway pics for 2008/2009 Fall? Can't find them anywhere for Stag (not womens).
                                calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎