X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jogu
    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
    I have to say I don't experience the same problems with my stuff. I mean, I have a LOT of rick, so I don't wear the shit out of one thing on a daily basis
    ya same here i havent noticed any big noticeable problems . last year i wore the same rick shorts a couple times a week like all summer long , only issue i noticed was a small tear on the leg which i stitched together myself . some of the stitching on the waistband of other rick shorts has gotten sorta bad , i mean like it looks like it might break apart but im not sure i consider that unusual from normal wear n tear

Comment

• kunk75
      Banned
      • May 2008

depends on what you can tolerate. I have 8-10 rick cashmere sweaters and they all look like moths got to them.

Comment

• Lane
        • Aug 2010

beardown I enjoyed that post, I always enjoy what you have to say because there is no lying in you. There is nothing I ever have to filter out. You are real

Rick, while I am a faithful buyer, and standby his leathers over anyone elses, I just increasingly feel dirty buying things that keep diminishing in the quality aspect. I'll indulge here and there in special cases, but I have mainly been after older pieces lately.

I don't know him personally but i think at some point paying the bills and greed for any human being takes priority, but I don't hate or dislike him for that because its the natural course of action for such a big company. If he has people willing to pay for this stuff, so be it.

That said a lot of my stuff is holding up well, asides from the obvious like unstable cotton shirts.

my reverse combats might need re-stitching too, but that's fair for how much I wear those.

Comment

• BSR
          • Aug 2008

don't forget Rick does not own 'his' company...
          pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
          Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• tron
            • Dec 2010

can you elaborate on that? I've always wondered how that company was held - how much creative control does rick have if he's not the primary holder?
            "I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion."

Comment

• Nikov
              • Nov 2008

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

I love Rick. Everything he says is just so well thought-out. I want rock crystal toilets. And yeah, who needs a fucking ball gown, dinosaurs from the upper east side?
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jogu
                  • Jun 2009

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
                  depends on what you can tolerate
                  thats a good pt i hadnt thought about , i went back and looked at the shorts i was talkin about and saw another fuckin tear at the bottom of the pocket that ripped about like 1/4" down the side . i was just like eh whatever but my friend was like " dude thats not ok those are too many rips " , me i dont rly mind i just expect rips and tears

Comment

• eat me
                    • May 2009

Originally posted by Nikov View Post
                    man crush .

Comment

• mrbeuys
                      • May 2008

Originally posted by eat me View Post
                      man crush .
                      ^ This.
                      Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• cjbreed
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by jogu View Post
                        ... i was just like eh whatever but my friend was like " dude thats not ok those are too many rips " , me i dont rly mind i just expect rips and tears
                        ah life. if you expect the worst, you will never be disappointed.

even if rick doesn't "own" his company he surely has a vested interest in it. and he seems like a caring man and not overly money hungry or anything. so i think it would matter to him if he thought his loyal patrons and supporters felt like they were getting ripped off in the quality category. and i also think (know) that there are folks on rick's team that occasionally browse SZ. so I do hope someone passes this along to someone that matters.

if we leave the unstable cotton out of it then i think the most egregious offender is the shoes. we pay for the look, and i am willing to pay $1k+ for a shoe, but damn shouldn't i expect them to last at least as long as a $35 pair of canvas chuck taylors? without multiple trips to the cobbler. (i have a pair now that i love. but even so, there are obvious shortcomings)

i also think rick used to be more focused on luxe fabrics. i can't speak on the womens but for the mens at least this seems to be an area of neglect at the moment. i mean sure, many of the fabrics are nice. well nice enough. but i really want more from rick in that area. ok is not good enough. you can't be just about your vision/design/silhouette, etc. we want that decadent luxury that the "Rick Owens" brand stood for...

i do think we all pay for the design. we love it. and there are hits and misses in quality each season. but there will be a tipping point if the misses keep piling up.

all that being said i think the leathers remain strong every season. and i love the unstable tee's even tho they are tissue thin and guaranteed to develop holes etc.
                        dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Lane
                          • Aug 2010

i think with leathers some are great, but some are getting quite bad, the blistered stooges and scuba are like sandpaper right now, but the safari is a nice juicy lamb/calf usually. Thickness isn't everything but still.

Comment

• curiouscharles
                            • Jan 2008

cjbreed hits on a lot of points that resonate. i don't know if there's much [or anything] at all that can be done about the trainers falling apart [because of the way their ginormous sole interacts with natural human pronation] but i've dealt with countless clients, and heard from countless friends that the footwear just isn't holding up like it should.

which is startling to me because the last piece of rick owens footwear i owned was the crepe-sole combat boots from s/s 07, which i wore all day & every day for nigh on three years, to & from work & social engagements - and i could barely even tell they'd been worn. and, to be honest, the blistered leather used on these was frighteningly thin, yet it held up better than any other boot i'd worn before (and better than many i've worn since from more expensive brands).

remember the heirloom debacle with his heels continuously falling apart and the brand doing nothing to take care of him? when i had a zipper break on my fall 2010 ann demeulemeester back-lace / side-zip boots, all it took was an email and two weeks turnaround for the label to repair my boots for me for free.

as cj was saying, rick's focus definitely used to be on the use & inclusion of luxe fabrics. one of my favorite interviews had rick saying that he was all about private decadence - and would rather make his clients feel special by lining his jackets with silk, than draw the attention of the masses with hybrid alien silhouettes made from crap fabrics.

but, i suppose he has become the poster-boy for alternative high-fashion, and that is largely because of the 'unique' silhouettes popularized by his brand. i wouldn't mind the fabrics taking a hit in quality if the price reflected it - but [especially considering my tax bracket] i can't justify buying cotton-variety replacements for basics that used to come in luxurious viscose/rayon & cotton/silk blends for [correct me if i'm wrong/nostalgic] the same prices. regardless of fabrics, rick's basics have always aged to a world war II, thompson-machine-gunned aesthetic for me - it was just easier to take when i could tell myself such damage was a reflection of the fabric's luxury.

-

Comment

• mrbeuys
                              • May 2008

remember the heirloom debacle with his heels continuously falling apart and the brand doing nothing to take care of him?
                              well, it might be beside the point but that's not really what happened.
                              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• curiouscharles
                                • Jan 2008

oh, sorry if i was mistaken - i thought he bought a few pair of heels that busted and they wouldn't repair them for him? :S

-

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎