• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Re: RICK OWENS

[quote user="ddohnggo"]what about his persona do you find pathetic?[/quote]

I need to think about this before I really respond--it's really a gut reaction, not one that I've consciously thought out.

It has to do with this though: "his longish hair sweeping against brawny shoulders bulging from a wifebeater. His gym body and California-bred conversational ease..." [+o(]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Casius
      • Dec 2006

[quote user="laika"]

[quote user="ddohnggo"]what about his persona do you find pathetic?[/quote]

I need to think about this before I really respond--it's really a gut reaction, not one that I've consciously thought out.

It has to do with this though: "his longish hair sweeping against brawny shoulders bulging from a wifebeater. His gym body and California-bred conversational ease..." [+o(]

[/quote]

I think that sentence just explains his general persona, he's fit and from California. I actually really enjoyed that article, made me realize a lot more of where he is coming from and what his clothing stands for.
      "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• pbt
        • Jan 2007

Laika, I'm pretty much with you.

There's minimal and straightforward:

And there's minimal and straightforward:

"I'm more interested in retail than press. I concentrate on doing tasteful separates at a decent price. I'm not kidding. We do some pretty basic things that flatter a lot of women. I think that's really cool. I'm just a wannabe Calvin Klein or Giorgio Armani."

Comment

• pbt
          • Jan 2007

I should add, I'm a big Rick Owens (clothing)fan -- mens and womens stuff. And though I feel he's being kind of self-aggrandizing to compare himself to Brancusi, the sculpture analogy is notwrong.His clothingoften is (nicely)scultpural (in the way he works with folds and drape for example). And, the shapes can be playful, gestural. There's a funny bad example in that article, cf. pic of the fur hat contraption with chin guard.

Comment

• Seventh
            • Dec 2006

I go back on forth on the Rick Owens persona. While it can be deeply annoying at times, it strangely doesn't feel fake or staged (my impression is that is really just how he is and lives his life). He is clearly a egotist and a performer, but I don't get that he is doing it for the media or as a way to sell clothes. Maybe more as some sorta way to comunicate with his customers or express himself.

Maybe I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt because I do like some some of his designs. His furniture, however, I find horrendous (so much for the Brancusi reference!)

Laika, is it the macho posturing / violence that really annoys you about Rick?

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

pbt, that was elegantly illustrated. [:P]

Seventh--He just seems really needy to me, lol. When a guy has to
              blow-dry his hair, spend a billion hours at the gym and wear high heels to
              achieve his "persona", it's kind of a turn off, you know?

Compare to Alber Elbaz, who says,

"Usually, I spend my day perfecting a
              dress rather than perfecting myself.
              Thank God I don't have to look
              like a model to promote my work, because that would be a catastrophe.
              Nobody would buy anything! I'm behind the scenes. I could be on a diet
              of leaves and go to the gym 17 times a week if I really wanted it, but
              what I really want to do is my work. But I have asked myself: if I had
              a different look, would I design differently? And I think I would. I
              think the fact that I never feel perfect and I never feel beautiful and
              I never feel skinny makes me search for lightness and beauty, because
              these are what I feel I am missing. I always go for whatever I think I
              don't have."

Makes me weak in the knees. [:$]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• justine
                • Jan 2007

[quote user="laika"]

[/quote]

I don't mind this at all, there is something interesting in someone building a persona, as fake as it might appear (who's real anyway, is Fashion real?). Would you make the same comment about Oscar Wilde, or any dandy from the XVIII spending billions hours in front of their mirrors for that matter?

I think you have to take him in a literary sense almost, his references to "A Rebours" (Against the Grain) are telling something.

Comment

• Casius
                  • Dec 2006

Either way, he makes some darn cool clothes.

On another note, does anyone know if LuisaViaroma is picking up the Spring '07 mens line?

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="Casius"]Either way, he makes some darn cool clothes.

On another note, does anyone know if LuisaViaroma is picking up the Spring '07 mens line?

[/quote]

Weird. I could've sworn they had it. Could it be that they really sold everything already? I remember prices being much cheaper than in North America, but still...

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
                      • Dec 2006

Yea, I was wondering if it sold out as well. The girls is all there for the most part and the prices are actually pretty good for some of the pieces.
                      I wonder if Rick is going to get some more U.S. dealers in the future? Seems pretty limited right now. But maybe his stuff doesn't sell well here in the States.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Casius"]Yea, I was wondering if it sold out as well. The girls is all there for the most part and the prices are actually pretty good for some of the pieces.
                        I wonder if Rick is going to get some more U.S. dealers in the future? Seems pretty limited right now. But maybe his stuff doesn't sell well here in the States.

[/quote]

He has more than enough in New York, especially for DRKSHDW. I'd imagine he'd have plenty in L.A. - his hometown after all.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
                          • Dec 2006

You would think, but I have only come to find Maxfield as being the only RO menswear carrier in LA. Planning to check it out around my birthday in May and see what they have for Spring. I'm curious to see if thier pricing is any different from Ateliers'.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Casius"]You would think, but I have only come to find Maxfield as being the only RO menswear carrier in LA. Planning to check it out around my birthday in May and see what they have for Spring. I'm curious to see if thier pricing is any different from Ateliers'.[/quote]

Weird - I'd imagine Barneys would have it for sure.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="justine"][quote user="laika"]

[/quote]

I don't mind this at all, there is something interesting in someone building a persona, as fake as it might appear (who's real anyway, is Fashion real?). Would you make the same comment about Oscar Wilde, or any dandy from the XVIII spending billions hours in front of their mirrors for that matter?

I think you have to take him in a literary sense almost, his references to "A Rebours" (Against the Grain) are telling something.

[/quote]

good point, justine. [51] His persona is artificial (in the sense of "constructed") but there's nothing wrong with that. And his story obviously speaks to plenty of people.

I think the Oscar Wilde type of dandy is different though--there's a politics to it that goes beyond vanity. But that belongs in the dandyism thread, of course.

Comment

• Fuuma
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

good point, justine. [51] His persona is artificial (in the sense of "constructed") but there's nothing wrong with that. And his story obviously speaks to plenty of people.[/quote]

But does
                                creating a simulacrum absolves you from having your actions and conceptions
                                being judged in the same manner as anyone else, regardless of the ?greater
                                truth? (about you, society, creation, fashion etc) this persona aims at
                                revealing? I don?t have an easy answer on that as we now know the auteur and
                                his work are intimately linked and often approached in conjunction, making the
                                presentation of an alternative persona a possible addition to the aforementioned
                                work. You need to look no further than the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde persona of
                                Gainsbourg/Gainsbarre. I was also reminded of this when viewing ?La môme?, a
                                biopic of Édith Piaf that spends the whole movie creating parallels between her
                                life (the real topic) and her work (a manifestation of the first). I guess it?s
                                also important to take into account the mediatisation of the public life of
                                entertainers (and to a lesser degree artist?s), I?m sure a lot of people know
                                more, and are more interested, in Tom Cruise?s life than the life of the
                                characters he portrays onscreen.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                                http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎