X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nqth
    • Sep 2006

Re: Ann Demeulemeester SS07 - Womens, Paris

Yes, it was such a nice experience:-) (the show of course, I was scared to death when I realized I was at the other end of the superlong "boulevard")

It seemed that every model wore just one outfit. Before the show Ann D. went out the backstage for a while. It started quite late.

Comment

• casem
      • Sep 2006

It seems odd that she shows the men's show months earlier, then shows the same men's looks again during the women's show. I guess there is such a strong connection between how the men's and women's wear looks she wants to show it all together at some point.

I love this show but it's got me wondering how people actually wear her clothes in real life. It seems like her look relies on so much layering and accessories (all sold separately of course) that you would have to spend a lot of money to get one of these looks. Do you guys go for the whole look or do you find her clothes incorporate well with what you have? It just seems like some of the pieces may not be so unique if you don't style them as shown.

Looking at this collection makes me really want a cut away or asymmetric blazer of some type, but I can't decide which one I like best. Do you think S/S 07 would be the best time to get something like this or is the current collection better? Are her blazers pretty snug (i would need IT 46)? Most of my pants are fairly skinny so I would want something that fits close to the body but is unstructured.

Looks like the feather necklaces are back, which makes me happy, I was just getting jealous of those that were able to get one last spring. I'm also drawn to that hand print tee, I kinda want to go for a "i just washed up on a deserted island" look next spring (it's so early to be thinking about this but i can't help it!)
      music

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="casem83"]It seems odd that she shows the men's show months earlier, then shows the same men's looks again during the women's show. I guess there is such a strong connection between how the men's and women's wear looks she wants to show it all together at some point.

I love this show but it's got me wondering how people actually wear her clothes in real life. It seems like her look relies on so much layering and accessories (all sold separately of course) that you would have to spend a lot of money to get one of these looks. Do you guys go for the whole look or do you find her clothes incorporate well with what you have? It just seems like some of the pieces may not be so unique if you don't style them as shown.

Looking at this collection makes me really want a cut away or asymmetric blazer of some type, but I can't decide which one I like best. Do you think S/S 07 would be the best time to get something like this or is the current collection better? Are her blazers pretty snug (i would need IT 46)? Most of my pants are fairly skinny so I would want something that fits close to the body but is unstructured.

Looks like the feather necklaces are back, which makes me happy, I was just getting jealous of those that were able to get one last spring. I'm also drawn to that hand print tee, I kinda want to go for a "i just washed up on a deserted island" look next spring (it's so early to be thinking about this but i can't help it!)

[/quote]

Ann has always showed mens collection with the womens - she did her first stand alone mens show three (or is it already 4?) seasons ago. I suspect it was a business decision influenced by Ann Chappelle who bought a piece of Ann's company. Ann herself is a believer in androgyny - it's not a underlying force in her collections, but a part of her work. I personally love menswear and womenswear together and the consistency in vision that it brings.

As far as layering - excellent question. My answer is no, you don't have to layer a lot to look like that and you can substitute a lot of basic pieces for lower priced ones. As a matter of fact I was genuinley pizzled when Barneys bought a ton of simple expensive spagghetti strapped tops that could be easily found elsewhere. Layering is fun though, and Ann loves it - she never does superwarm pieces, relying on layering. I think Ann's key items are her jackets and her boots - if you can get those, you can find the rest elsewhere.

As far as the assymetrical cut-away jacket I suggest fall rather than spring. They are just done in more luxurious materials (I don't really like cotton blazers). There is a lovely one in the collection that's currently in stores.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
          • Sep 2006

Faust, your knowledge is most impressive.

BTW, Aloha Rag just posted a bunch of Ann Dem accesories (finally).

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• xcoldricex
            • Sep 2006

you can also see some new stuff here:

mens / womens

Comment

• casem
              • Sep 2006

Yeah, that makes sense Faust. That's a good point, it can save you a lot of money if you learn what pieces you should get from designers and what you can get away with doing cheaper and it helps to know what the designer's strenght's are.
              music

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="xcoldricex"]

you can also see some new stuff here:

mens / womens

[/quote]

Damn, I want those arm-warmers!!! Why the hell didn't anyone buy them here?

BTW, if I know anything about anything - those scarfs on AlohaRag will fly out in 1..2...3... - so don't hesitate if you really want one.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

Faust, your knowledge is most impressive.

BTW, Aloha Rag just posted a bunch of Ann Dem accesories (finally).

[/quote]

Thank you! [:$]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
                    • Sep 2006

I'm really regretting not buying the arm warmers from DSM at the same time I got my hood. They've sold them now, of course. Sorry to rub it in Faust, but they looked great on.

Comment

• Verb
                      • Oct 2006

[quote user="nqth"]

It was a very nice show, very crowded, and models walked quite slowly:-)

Patti Smith was very patiently giving an interview after the show.

I took a wrong direction, too:-))

[/quote]

Ahhh you went?! I was in town at the time and planned to attend but everything I heard indicated that even people WITH invitations would be turned away, much less us struggling with basic US journalism credentials.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="dontbecruel"]I'm really regretting not buying the arm warmers from DSM at the same time I got my hood. They've sold them now, of course. Sorry to rub it in Faust, but they looked great on.
                        [/quote]

Damn it - I can't believe it. I wonder if IF did buy it and I did not see. I'd wear them over my black leather jacket - it would look awesome.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                          • Sep 2006

Oooh, something to look forward to when I pop in at IF tomorrow!

Although, I did see that H&M is doing a VERY VERY similar if not identical arm warmer for their women's section. $7-8 at most. I think they have them in red and in black.

If not there, they're quite basic (a nice thing of course)... can be sewn at home in 1 hour if you've got the fabric!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

Oooh, something to look forward to when I pop in at IF tomorrow!

Although, I did see that H&M is doing a VERY VERY similar if not identical arm warmer for their women's section. $7-8 at most. I think they have them in red and in black.

If not there, they're quite basic (a nice thing of course)... can be sewn at home in 1 hour if you've got the fabric!

[/quote]

Those looked knit. Thanks for the H&M tip - I'll take a look. Everything looks busted in that store, though. Maybe someone made something better quality, but still not expensive? APC?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• casem
                              • Sep 2006

Ooh, I've wanted arm warmers for the past few winters but never took the plunge. I really like the one's miu miu is doing, but haven't seen them around. People have recommended I knit them myself, but I am useless with a needle and thread.
                              music

Comment

• dontbecruel
                                • Sep 2006

The Ann ones are a lovely heavy raw knit. I've tried on other arm warmers but these were a cut above. They were about £60 so I don't suppose something like APC would be a significantly cheaper option.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎