• docintheory
    • May 2008

Originally posted by ddohnggo View Post
    om did a record about it

Unbelievable album...

Comment

• soultek
      • Feb 2007

If we are to acknowledge MA as an artisan (which I personally believe him to be), should we be expecting a theme or arc of his work?

I don't necessarily think so. I know this a why Faust and others have not been able to get into MA+ because there doesn't seem to be depth in the line beyond appreciation of the individual garments. I originally had the same issue with MA+, LUC, etc., however lately I have begun to appreciate just the existence of non-fashion artisanal lines that make clothing with care on a small scale. In this day an age, I would rather some companies focus on just making quality unique things without worrying about fashion. Keep the suit making for suit makers and themed work for fashion designers.

Comment

• Tiger
        Banned
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by soultek View Post
        In this day an age, I would rather some companies focus on just making quality unique things without worrying about fashion. Keep the suit making for suit makers and themed work for fashion designers.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Amen +2, hence my comments in the Rodarte and TB thread. However, that's not why I am not keen on MA+. I am exactly not excited by it BECAUSE it lacks much of the artisanal spirit. Yea, it has nice seamwork, but beyond that his garment construction can't hold a candle to CDiem, Poell, or LUC.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Raw Edge
            • Jan 2008

this is an interesting discussion,and be very curious to hear why you think this, Faust.
            an aside- I've definitely been critical of ma+, because many of the items seemed overpriced and underdelivering. but after owning a few things, i realize something very obvious- here makers tend to get discussed as if you'd have to buy and wear their whole collection. you don't. i think ma+ makes a couple great things a year, and those things are really nice. a lot of the rest of the stuff is big fails, but that's ok with me, i couldnt buy it all anyway, and even if i could im not really into the whole head to toe thing that is easier with more accessible/less failing stuff like RO.
            in fact, id prefer more lines were discussed here that might be otherwise quickly dismissed, and instead were appreciated for the few good things they do make, instead of some all or nothing judgement. after all, while its true ma+ has lots of fails, i think luc, ccp, ann, yohji etc do too. maybe rick or julius dont if you are just all about that, but who cares, thats not the only measure here, cant wear the whole collection at once anyway.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Amen +2, hence my comments in the Rodarte and TB thread. However, that's not why I am not keen on MA+. I am exactly not excited by it BECAUSE it lacks much of the artisanal spirit. Yea, it has nice seamwork, but beyond that his garment construction can't hold a candle to CDiem, Poell, or LUC.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

I've explained my position before - the DIYesque construction is the main problem for me. It comes off as lazy. Add the crazy prices, and it comes off as arrogant. And yea, I don't see why we shouldn't look at a designer's oeuvre. I readily admit that grandMA+ makes some nice things.

I hear the next season's stuff is really excellent though.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• snafu
                • Apr 2008

i dont think its diy constuction the things i own a perfectly constructed just because ma simplifys the construction doesnt mean its diy or any worse constructed than alot of other brands i mean i love ann and i buya fair amountof her stuff but the construction there is pretty shit imo compared to likes of ma.
                he puts more thought into the design, pattern and strips a garment down to what is needed and no more this i think is his concept minimal but not in a traditional way
                i wouldnt class this as diy after owning a fair bit of ma i have never had any problems or i have never heard of any
                i mean damir is more diy and trys this same sort of rough craft thread and cloth approachbut he fails as how many flaws in garments have we heard on here but never have i heard of my ma seam bust sure maybe his stuff could be reproduced but i doubt people would have though of it if they had not seen the ma first

im not doubting ccp and others are made fantastically but ma is just a differnt approach to the construction of a garment its not complex tape glue seaming its more simple tradtional cloth and thread really personally i find his work beautiful ( i think my eyes are slightly damp now ha !!! nah but each to their own) but how can you see his bags and coats the silver hardwear he uses and say its DIY

Comment

• Johnny
                  • Sep 2006

. , : ; " !

Comment

• philip nod
                    • Aug 2007

i think faust actually needs to be given some MA by Ma or by members here so he can change his mind. you really need to own this stuff to make a proper judgment, simply as that.
                    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                      • Nov 2007

to own it is to it
                      LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• snafu
                        • Apr 2008

he he im not the only who feels this way ahhh

also trueism : once you own it you forget about the price tag

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                          . , : ; " !
                          seriously.

Pnidz, I don't need to own it. I've seen plenty of it in real life. In order to own it, shouldn't I be excited enough to want to buy it in the first place?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
                            • Aug 2007

nobody gets excited spending 1200 on pants or 2000+on a jacket etc

thats why you need to test drive some
                            One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• orphée
                              • Apr 2008

^^that might even apply to the plaid trousers, which are growing on my the more I look at them. I love the layered construction on the front and find that the plaid makes them stand out even more than would have been the case if they were plain black.

Comment

• DHC
                                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Faust
                                fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎