X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Re: Women's bags

I love this and the other CP bags you&#39;ve posted, but I really do need something black. My winter wardrobe demands it.</p>

I emailed Aloha Rag to get the dimensions of the Margiela bag. That would be a very big purchase for me, although it&#39;s not really that much considering most women&#39;s bags are well into the $1000&#39;s (and ugly too). </p>

Thanks for the input--I really must get down to IF!
    </p>
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;laika&quot;]

I love this and the other CP bags you&#39;ve posted, but I really do need something black. My winter wardrobe demands it.</p>

I emailed Aloha Rag to get the dimensions of the Margiela bag. That would be a very big purchase for me, although it&#39;s not really that much considering most women&#39;s bags are well into the $1000&#39;s (and ugly too). </p>

Thanks for the input--I really must get down to IF!
      </p>

[/quote]</p>

Looked at aloharag - not a bad price, indeed. I may go to IF today, I&#39;ll take a look.
      </p>

</p>
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• goethe
        • Oct 2006

no it wasn&#39;t me faust. i got mine from joan shepp in philadelphia. my friend works there and she said they had a few more backstock. i think someone in the previous post said they wanted it. try calling the store they could probably ship it to you!

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user=&quot;goethe&quot;]no it wasn&#39;t me faust. i got mine from joan shepp in philadelphia. my friend works there and she said they had a few more backstock. i think someone in the previous post said they wanted it. try calling the store they could probably ship it to you![/quote]</p>

Oh, really? I love that store! What does she look like? I might have seen her. I can&#39;t believe such a store stays in business in Philly, to be honest - it&#39;s really well edited!</p>
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Laika, I went to IF yesterday. They did not have those Margiela bags. The only Margiela bags in black they had were the huge duffels.</p>

They had one awesome tan bag, 3-D, rectangular, pretty big, with two-zippered flap closing the bag on top. It was like a slim box with a strap. I loved it. They did have many other beautiful bags. And many other beautiful things. They should have kleenex at the entrance, for whiping drool.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

Thanks Faust! Very sweet of you to check. That tan bag sounds really nice. Sigh. I am assuming that all IF&#39;s bags are extremely expensive? I&#39;ve never even bothered to check the prices...
              </p>

So, the small version of the Margiela bag is about 12 X 14. I will probably stalk it a bit longer before I take the plunge, but it seems perfect.</p>

Goethe, how are you finding your bag?
              </p>
              ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Thanks Faust! Very sweet of you to
                check. That tan bag sounds really nice. Sigh. I am
                assuming that all IF&#39;s bags are extremely expensive? I&#39;ve never
                even bothered to check the prices...
                </p>

So, the small
                version of the Margiela bag is about 12 X 14. I will probably
                stalk it a bit longer before I take the plunge, but it seems perfect.</p>

Goethe, how are you finding your bag?
                </p>

[/quote]</p>

Yea,
                they are pretty expensive. :-( There has got to be
                something in the middle, dammit!!! The only more or less good
                bags with palatable prices I&#39;ve seen so far are Jas MB (and the
                palatable prices are in the UK, because it&#39;s a London brand).
                There has got to be more that we don&#39;t know about, dammit!</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

Faust, it appears that Coop carries JAS MB--most prices are below $500. Not bad.</p>

Pics from Barneys:</p>

</p>

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

I love the last one, I&#39;ve seen it in person.</p>

Stopped by the Margiela store, they had almost nothing as far as the bags. Apparenlty they do REALLY well. A second boutique is not out of the question, from what I was told. That&#39;s pretty incredible. Maybe people do really want just well-made clothes that are well made, well fitting, and just a tad interesting, as Johnny pointed out. I mean, everyone and their mother carries Margiela in NYC, and it does well.
                    </p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                      • Sep 2006

Thanks for the report! That&#39;s good news about the Margiela store--at least something good is doing well here.
                      </p>

So, I went to Butter yesterday for the first time. They had a gorgeous Beguelin bag, among other things. I was very impressed with their entire inventory, but the prices!!!!! I was incredibly frustrated, because they had a number of items that would have been perfect for me, if I were able to justify $800 for a cardigan or $500 for a cotton blouse.</p>

Have you been there, Faust? Does it seem unusually expensive to you?
                      </p>

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Thanks for the report! That&#39;s good news about the Margiela store--at least something good is doing well here.
                        </p>

So, I went to Butter yesterday for the first time. They had a gorgeous Beguelin bag, among other things. I was very impressed with their entire inventory, but the prices!!!!! I was incredibly frustrated, because they had a number of items that would have been perfect for me, if I were able to justify $800 for a cardigan or $500 for a cotton blouse.</p>

Have you been there, Faust? Does it seem unusually expensive to you?
                        </p>

[/quote]</p>

Sure, I&#39;ve been there. I bought my showpiece Ann boots there, and I gave them a very good client (a photo gallery owner and a big Ann admirer). It is a little more expensive than some other stores, but not by much. I like the store, and I am proud that something like that can grow in Brooklyn (pun intended). They don&#39;t have the economies of scale, I guess. I am actually constantly surprised by how little they are allowed to buy from the showrooms. They are opening a menswear store next season.</p>

Prices are insane everywhere. People have way too much money!!! I do like their inventory as well, they tend to buy different pieces than many other stores. BTW, did they tell you about the outlet? It&#39;s around the corner and you could score some nice deals there.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                          • Sep 2006

An outlet?! [&lt;:o)] I had no idea--can you share the address?</p>

You are rightfully proud, I think. I also thought their inventory was quite unusual, especially the Dries buy. Even their Marni pieces were atypical.</p>

I suppose you are right about prices being high everywhere. Barney&#39;s mark-up is usually relatively decent, so they are always my point of comparison.</p>

I&#39;m going to be holding out for sales....</p>

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

An outlet?! [&lt;:o)] I had no idea--can you share the address?</p>

You are rightfully proud, I think. I also thought their inventory was quite unusual, especially the Dries buy. Even their Marni pieces were atypical.</p>

I suppose you are right about prices being high everywhere. Barney&#39;s mark-up is usually relatively decent, so they are always my point of comparison.</p>

I&#39;m going to be holding out for sales....</p>

[/quote]</p>

Me too, between the falling $, inflation, and designer greed (don&#39;t know the proportions), I have been essentially priced out of the full price market in the past 3 years.</p>

Barneys does keep everyone else honest, it is also my point of comparison! Example - that beautiful black Raf sweater with shawl collar is $580 in Barneys and $650 at Atelier (and like $900 in Japan).
                            </p>

The outlet is right around the corner from the store, on Bond St. It&#39;s really really cramped, I wouldn&#39;t go just for the outlet, but next time you go to Butter, worth checking out. They opened it during the summer when the main store was being renovated, and they were planning to keep it open. Make sure I don&#39;t send you on your way for nothing, and give them a call or email http://www.shopbutter.com/
                            </p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• goethe
                              • Oct 2006

faust:
                              her name is emily... petite girl with brown hair. they do have some great stuff there.

laika:

the margiela bag (the large black shopping bag) is in the mid $700 at joan shepp. i forget the exact price but i think its $760. not too bad for a quality margiela piece! plus, it fits everything!
                              the jas bags are a really good option if you dont want to spend toooo much money on a bag. they are reasonably priced and hold up well! also, they are relatively simple, which i assume is what you were looking for! just beware because some of them have little fake diamonds on the handels which make them look a bit tacky. other than that, they are great! good luck finding something!

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Collection Privee?</p>

</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎