X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

Dior Homme S/S 07

First I was wondering has anyone found a full video for this show? The same 4 min. clip is on youtube and vogue.co.uk but I can't find anymore, for some reason it's still not on the diorhomme sight either.
    So what do you think of this collection? I get the impression that many of you, if you ever liked Dior, haven't liked it since Strip or VOTC, so I'm curious as to what you think of this collection because in someways it looks back to those ealier shows. Personally I've found something to like in all the shows, but I especially like the S/S 07. I think it's much more modern looking without all the rock/indie references that people criticize the other recent collections for. It makes a stronger and more cohesive statement than some recent collections which were a bit of a mish mash of rock/indie eras. He managed to keep the razor sharp silhouette that he's known for while still tweaking it with the long, flowy shirts that go well below the cropped jackets and cover the waist. As always, I like the experimentation with blazers in this collection, like the tail coat with the tail cut into segments, the short boxy blazer with some different type of closure, and the blazers tied around with a belt (though these weren't as succesfull). So is this old hat or has Dior Homme regained some fans?
    music
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Dior Homme S/S 07

Well, to regain some old fans, DH will not only have to lean on Hedi to actually design, but also bring back those luxurious fabrics and detail-intensive atelier work - and I don't think this is happening. I could already see the same damn cheap cotton that they've been using for their jackets for the past several season. Why don't they stop using that fabric - it's so cheap! As far as the desing aspect, sorry to say, but I could not find anything redeeming in that show [N]. The blazers with the belts totally did not work. The balloon sleeves on some of the tops are simply funny in a bad way. And he dared to bring back that totally useless coat-without-the-bottom-half atrocity!

I seriously dislike the whole Berlin rentboy vibe as well. I have a very strong reaction when I see 40 year old white men with 20 year old asian effeminate boys trotting down the Greenwich Village here - I feel like these guys are prostituting themselves, and I feel very angry. The show has the same vibe for me - I can just see Karl Lagerfeld licking his lips in the front row.

Case, maybe you can post your favorite looks so we can discuss them.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• implicit
      • Sep 2006

I must say that I completely agree, Faust. I haven't seen anything innovative out of DH in far too long. The S/S collection just looks lazy; which, as a fan of Hedi's early work, irritates me to no end.

What irks me most, however, is the truth of what you stated regarding the sort of materials used in recent seasons. I'm of the mind (perhaps wrongly) that high-end designer work (with the attached high-end pricetag) should show through in the choice of fabrics and so forth. I just expect that, if I'm paying out for a "designer" product, the materials/construction should merit the price. Sad to say, DH (and others, to be sure) has fallen into the trap of lazily investing in a name/lifestyle instead of focusing in on the garments themselves.

I expect the bubble to burst soon, as selling a hollow image without the quality to support it cannot last forever. But, of course, I'm often wrong.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="implicit"]

I must say that I completely agree, Faust. I haven't seen anything innovative out of DH in far too long. The S/S collection just looks lazy; which, as a fan of Hedi's early work, irritates me to no end.

What irks me most, however, is the truth of what you stated regarding the sort of materials used in recent seasons. I'm of the mind (perhaps wrongly) that high-end designer work (with the attached high-end pricetag) should show through in the choice of fabrics and so forth. I just expect that, if I'm paying out for a "designer" product, the materials/construction should merit the price. Sad to say, DH (and others, to be sure) has fallen into the trap of lazily investing in a name/lifestyle instead of focusing in on the garments themselves.

I expect the bubble to burst soon, as selling a hollow image without the quality to support it cannot last forever. But, of course, I'm often wrong.

[/quote]

I so wish and hope you were right! Unfortunately, I don't see this happening as long as we have the emerging markets with appetite for Western hype, and those are not going away in any forseeable future.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mic
          • Sep 2006

its better then i thought but im still disappointed, not bad not good, looks okay. but nothing i would buy. nothing special and its way too basic for the amount of money they demand.

but obviously it works for them, this summer i think dior homme were at their top peak in sweden, its crazy. everyone wants it, the swedish magazine have discovered dior now and they are beeing hyped in every fashion magazine here (ok we have like three but anyway). for 3 years ago our only retailer of dior homme had to put almost everything on 50-75% sale. tuxs, waxed jeans, shoes, you name it.

Comment

• casem
            • Sep 2006

I guess the reason I thought this collection might regain some fans is that it's much less commmercial than other recent seasons. The look is so severe that it would be hard for most people to pull off and there are no slogan t-shirts or jeans in sight. But all of your points are well taken. Maybe it's just that I haven't been following Dior long enough to be sick of it. I was just getting into fashion when luster came out (i still have the mags from that season) but at that time I couldn't imagine paying that much for clothes. After that I pretty much bought Helmut Lang until last winter when Helmut was gone, that was the first time I bought some Dior stuff, but I've been really happy with everything I've gotten. I can't reallly speak about a decline in quality, since I don't have ealier pieces, but I think the quality is better than other high priced designers like Prada, Dolce and Gabbanna etc. (that may not be saying much though). The other thing I like is Dior Homme is still relatively unknown. It may seem ubiquitous in certain circles in New York, but outside of that few people have heard of it (like they have gucci, prada, dolce). Actually, New York is the only place I every saw other people wearing Dior. They still only have 3 boutiques in the U.S.

As for the models/rent boys thing Faust, I can see what you mean. It is a little wrong all these old fashion guys fauning over these young models. I do appreciate the attempt to redefine male beauty, as something that can be fragile and delicate, and I think the models are beautiful and striking, but the same question is raised as with women's wear: why show clothes on boys (girls) when men (women) will be buying the clothes? And of course there are other ways to redefine masculinity (as Ann D. does) without using 15 year old boys.

I'll post some pics later of my favorite looks. Mabye Hedi is still mining the same territory he started with, but to me it's still a fresh and unique perspective in the fashion world and this collection seems like all his ideas distilled into a very pure and concise form.
            music

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="casem83"]I guess the reason I thought this collection might regain some fans is that it's much less commmercial than other recent seasons. The look is so severe that it would be hard for most people to pull off and there are no slogan t-shirts or jeans in sight. But all of your points are well taken. Maybe it's just that I haven't been following Dior long enough to be sick of it. I was just getting into fashion when luster came out (i still have the mags from that season) but at that time I couldn't imagine paying that much for clothes. After that I pretty much bought Helmut Lang until last winter when Helmut was gone, that was the first time I bought some Dior stuff, but I've been really happy with everything I've gotten. I can't reallly speak about a decline in quality, since I don't have ealier pieces, but I think the quality is better than other high priced designers like Prada, Dolce and Gabbanna etc. (that may not be saying much though). The other thing I like is Dior Homme is still relatively unknown. It may seem ubiquitous in certain circles in New York, but outside of that few people have heard of it (like they have gucci, prada, dolce). Actually, New York is the only place I every saw other people wearing Dior. They still only have 3 boutiques in the U.S.

As for the models/rent boys thing Faust, I can see what you mean. It is a little wrong all these old fashion guys fauning over these young models. I do appreciate the attempt to redefine male beauty, as something that can be fragile and delicate, and I think the models are beautiful and striking, but the same question is raised as with women's wear: why show clothes on boys (girls) when men (women) will be buying the clothes? And of course there are other ways to redefine masculinity (as Ann D. does) without using 15 year old boys.

I'll post some pics later of my favorite looks. Mabye Hedi is still mining the same territory he started with, but to me it's still a fresh and unique perspective in the fashion world and this collection seems like all his ideas distilled into a very pure and concise form.

[/quote]

Make no mistake, Dior Homme is HUUUUUUUUUUUGE. Do you visit the MSN group that Winston started? Take a look, if you haven't. DH may not have the reach of Gucci just yet, but it is certainly pinned on every celebrity imaginable and is in absolutely every magazine from i-D to GQ. Hell, even New Yorker profiled Hedi in their last fall's issue on fashion. BTW, that's how you know it's time to move on to something new in fashion - when New Yorker prints it! [:D] As a matter of fact, I think I will apply for a job there - fashion is not exactly their forte. What do you think guys, can I lift New Yorker's fashion profile?

As far as not being able to see older DH pieces, that's a loss - those were true stunners, simply amazing craftmanship, complex details, and luxe materials. It is still evident in the suits sometimes. I would definitely suggest hunting in Manhattan's consignment stores, some pieces turn up here and there.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• casem
                • Sep 2006

Finally got around to finding my favorites, feel free to comment even if you don't like, I'm enjoying the discussion.

I really like the effect of the see through black shirt with the long silky shirt underneath and the sash (didn't solitaire feature a similar diagnol sash thing?)

I don't know how wearable this is, but I like all the things going on with the detatched sleeves, piece of a vest and strips of black fabric.

Similar idea, I love the long shirt with the fabric tied around.

I always like how he plays with cutting up jackets in different ways, I think this one is particularly effective.

I hope I'm not coming off as a metallic whore since I want those Ann D. shoes (i don't actually own any) but I LOVE this jacket, and the model.

Not very practical, but another way of reinventing the trench (something he's done many times), it looks normal from the back which is long.

I like the detached sleeves and dress type thing over the pants looks totally masculine to me.

music

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

Like others have said, it's literally a rehash of his past collections... clearly a retrospective collection. Like you had suggested, the diagonal sash was something he had put into a number of dress shirts and tees in a plisse pleated form. Nothing new.

Although the reworked trenches and coats are always interesting to look at, they are rarely practical. In fact, most of the runway is not practical AT ALL. If worn on the street, it'd look like you were trying too hard.

It's reminiscent of the "rabbit eat" blazer with the high back and the regular front. Ugly as hell. Basically only Mick Jagger could rock it and that's because he's on a stage.

I've said it a million times before, but it really is too bad that DH for all intensive purposes to those on this forum, has come to an end. Having been a huge fan since the end of Follow Me, it's just been downright disappointing these 3 seasons.

I've joined the church of CCP/CDiem/Ann, and the tithing required is higher than even the church of scientology.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• butbeautiful
                    • Sep 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56Q2cn1VBOw&eurl=

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎