X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Not as an intellectual per se, but certainly as someone who has something deep to offer in the realm of fashion.
    nothing deep there,
    the pants are short and the jackets shallow........
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Hey, that's what I said since day one. But who listens to me...
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

Not as an intellectual per se, but certainly as someone who has something deep to offer in the realm of fashion.
        I don't really see anyone lauding him as deep (but maybe i've missed something?). I think (some) people are attracted to the narrative behind the clothes, however artificial it may be. And I think journalists find him interesting because he has actually directly influenced the way men dress on the streets, at least in urban areas. I agree with Johnny that the articles are repetitive, but I think that's kind of the point...

***I also would not call him "deep," but deep is kind of an ambiguous word, no? I'm not sure what designer I would call deep, apart from the die hard conceptualists...
        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I didn't say he's deep, I say the media (and himself I'm sure) claims that he has something deeper to offer than say Tim Hamilton or Adam Kimmel.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Here is just one example.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

I didn't say he's deep, I say the media (and himself I'm sure) claims that he has something deeper to offer than say Tim Hamilton or Adam Kimmel.
              Yes, I realize, I would never accuse you of such a thing!!

I was just wondering what one means by "deep," which does not strike me as a particularly meaningful word on its own. I do think he has more to offer than the two people you mentioned, if only because the image/story he has built for his line has proved to be very compelling and influencial, even if only for a moment. He has caught a whiff of the zeitgeist, one might say...
              ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• laika
                • Sep 2006

yeah, calling him a philosopher is definitely pretty silly. Cathy has since changed her mind about him, if i recall correctly. Fashion is such a fickle business....

Comment

• misc_msc
                  • Jan 2009

i find his suits, though meticulously crafted, aren't cut very well

Comment

• misc_msc
                    • Jan 2009

and by god, the black fleece suits are even worse... feels really cheap

Comment

• rlschwart
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by misc_msc View Post
                      and by god, the black fleece suits are even worse... feels really cheap
                      I don't mind the suits. I just can't fathom paying $3,000 for anything at Brooks Brothers.

Comment

• Johnny
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                        Are you a 48?
                        Yes, but I'm about an inch out in terms of proportion at the waist. I blame it on Christmas excess.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by laika View Post

***I also would not call him "deep," but deep is kind of an ambiguous word, no? I'm not sure what designer I would call deep, apart from the die hard conceptualists...
                          Exactly.

Nothing is deep. Let alone fashion.
                          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by laika View Post
                            I don't really see anyone lauding him as deep (but maybe i've missed something?). I think (some) people are attracted to the narrative behind the clothes, however artificial it may be. And I think journalists find him interesting because he has actually directly influenced the way men dress on the streets, at least in urban areas. I agree with Johnny that the articles are repetitive, but I think that's kind of the point...

I don't think "deep" is an ambiguous term, especially in opposition to "shallow". Yohji - deep, Tom Ford - shallow. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Real Real
                              • Feb 2007

Black Fleece feels cheap? You may not like the cut (I don't on a lot of it), but the materials and construction are about as good as it gets, just like everything TB does.

That's at least true for the first couple of seasons, I don't really know what the more recent seasons have been like.

Comment

• philip nod
                                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                                Exactly.

Nothing is deep. Let alone fashion.
                                a swimming pool is deep. if you're not in the shallow end. which is where you appear to wading day after day.
                                One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎