X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

ARMY OF ONE: For his show at Pitti Uomo in Florence, men’s designer Thom Browne conceived a tightly synchronized and hyper-condensed day in the life of an office drone, circa 1955. Forty models, moving in unison, typed at identical desks, ate identical lunches, and…wait for it…wore the exact same outfit. Forty of them. For the largely European audience, Browne opted to show his greatest hits — a shrunken gray suit, cardigan with arm stripes, heavy wing tips and camel overcoat. “In the beginning it was the gray suit, and that’s how every collection starts. So I wanted people to see an army of that. This is what my guy does. He gets dressed and looks good, and he’s serious about work.” The show epitomized the influential designer’s perversely businesslike aesthetic.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• J_J
      • Apr 2008

before the TB show

jak&jil

Comment

• philip nod
        • Aug 2007

mus k top
        must kpop\\
        kop
        One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• philip nod
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post

ARMY OF ONE: For his show at Pitti Uomo in Florence, men’s designer Thom Browne conceived a tightly synchronized and hyper-condensed day in the life of an office drone, circa 1955. Forty models, moving in unison, typed at identical desks, ate identical lunches, and…wait for it…wore the exact same outfit. Forty of them. For the largely European audience, Browne opted to show his greatest hits — a shrunken gray suit, cardigan with arm stripes, heavy wing tips and camel overcoat. “In the beginning it was the gray suit, and that’s how every collection starts. So I wanted people to see an army of that. This is what my guy does. He gets dressed and looks good, and he’s serious about work.” The show epitomized the influential designer’s perversely businesslike aesthetic.
          salo?

Comment

• nycd
            • Oct 2006

brazil?

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

Pitti Immagine: Thom Browne in Florence
              By Suzy Menkes

Thursday, January 15, 2009
              FLORENCE: Everything was so pin-sharp - the taut tailored suits, the metallic clatter of typewriters and the modernist Mussolini architecture - that Thom Browne's Florentine excursion was a pure and powerful distillation of his message.
              Just two outfits - suits and knits - appeared at the American designer's first European show during the Pitti Uomo menswear fair in Florence. But the essence of Browne's sartorial style does not begin to describe the atmospheric sense of pent-up masculinity and menace.
              A line-up of models, with identical slicked hair and exactly the same camel coats and brief cases, walked into the "office" space created at the Istituto di Scienze Militari Aeronatiche. The brick edifice was built in 1938 and has kept everything from its streamlined squares of the parquet floor to aeroplane-shaped door handles intact.
              A "boss" figure pinged a bell as the models took off their short coats and snug suit jackets, both with striped linings, to sit at 1950s desks, where they tapped away. Although nothing broke through the rigid façade, you knew that there was a Clark Kent Superman under the prim gray cardigans, trimmed with buttons at the side and short pants (with more buttons at the back to strike a faint fetishistic note). The boss's minions, wearing suits with shorts, the better to reveal the red/white/blue tabs at the shoe heels, then strode the room to collect wads of typed sheets.
              "Just very simple," Browne said about a show that could best be described as "simply" perfect. Having used his irony in a heavy-handed way in his recent New York shows, offering weird variations on formal dress, the designer reduced his fantasies, as if making a good sauce: The same ingredients of taut, even tortured, manhood were there but presented in a subtle way.
              A more surreal effect was the face-off between the air force cadets and officers in their smart service uniforms with the provocative fashion version. It made for a memorable show and an example of how the Pitti Immagine focus can bring out the best in a designer.
              ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Vahiren
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by J_J View Post
                before the TB show

jak&jil
                I'm loving the 50's looking one smoking in the back with the black trousers and the b&w vest.
                Don't fuck with me fellas, this aint my first time at the rodeo.

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

More pics

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
                    salo?
                    Gattaca
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                      • Sep 2006

Comment

• Magician
                        • Jul 2008

I really, really like this. It seems a very clear, well-realized presentation of his aesthetic. It's theatrical without the gumball machine silliness of his past runway shows.

I think I will have to someday have a gray flannel Thom Browne suit.
                        Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• philip nod
                          • Aug 2007

when did it go from 3 stripes to 4? i missed that memo.

Comment

• Casius
                            • Dec 2006

Yea, that's kinda weird. I like at 3, looks more symmetrical and fits the arm better.
                            "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Johnny
                              • Sep 2006

perhaps when adidas threatened to sue?

Comment

• snafu
                                • Apr 2008

ha so everyone who has a 3 striped cardi now needs to cop a 4 stripe cardi
                                browne is a business man

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎