Clear All
  • justine
    • Jan 2007

-----

Comment

• justine
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by laika View Post
      The all white thing is creepy indeed, but it makes sense in the theatrical (and architectural) context, no? And i agree that it's scary, but it's supposed to be!
      Fashion is a rather strange medium to pass this kind of message. I wonder what it means to wear this in real life.

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
        To be fair it seems he did mix some fascistic references with his usual 50s thing. Or rather he made them more obvious. In fact the whole thing sorta remind me of a short I'll try to find again (got it on a dvd) where people are working in groups inside, filling something or other and you hear the sound of gunshots outside. In the end I believe you end up seeing Wehrmacht soliders taking a break.
        That's exactly what I meant by theatrical and architectural context.

Would like to see that short sometime.
        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

That's exactly what I meant by theatrical and architectural context.

Would like to see that short sometime.
          If I remember correctly it is rather freaky (in a quiet way) as the camera is mostly focused on one of the office workers, who seem to be the only one upset by what seems to be going on outside. You see her fiddle with her earings and show other signs of nervousness yet no one appears to care in the least aside from her.
          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• laika
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by justine View Post
            Fashion is a rather strange medium to pass this kind of message. I wonder what it means to wear this in real life.
            That's a very good point. Though I think the clothes lose much of their "fascism," when they are worn by individuals, rather than en masse. That's what I notice seeing them on the street, anyway.
            ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

The world is not ready, let's wait until striping technology catches on to our inovative genius. I propose to skip the 5 stripes and go straight to 6, that'll make 'em quake in envy!
              careful, you know what THEY do to people who are ahead of their time.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

That's a very good point. Though I think the clothes lose much of their "fascism," when they are worn by individuals, rather than en masse. That's what I notice seeing them on the street, anyway.
                Is a representation of fascism through the artifice of a fashion presentation worse/different than Dior body fascism that is integral (was) to the clothes?

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

The all white thing is creepy indeed, but it makes sense in the theatrical (and architectural) context, no? And i agree that it's scary, but it's supposed to be!
                  and if it's the 50s he's trying to reflect, it makes sense.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    careful, you know what THEY do to people who are ahead of their time.
                    I might play it safe and do the 5 stripes then, CFDA here I come!

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

and if it's the 50s he's trying to reflect, it makes sense.
                      Have you ever seen those fascist-era buildings, there's no way it doesn't skew the presentation that way, those things have a sort of aura of their own.

Comment

• laika
                        • Sep 2006

Is a representation of fascism through the artifice of a fashion presentation worse/different than Dior body fascism that is integral (was) to the clothes?
                        I'm not sure what you mean by "worse," but it's definitely different, precisely because the constructedness of the aesthetic--its forceful imposition on the body--is highlighted as being staged, artificial, "unnatural."

Whereas I think DH tried to erase this artifice by making a certain ideal of beauty appear as the desirable, "natural" norm....

edit: sorry, i can't use nature or any related word without putting in quotes...

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

What is it about that bastard that makes us have interesting discussions?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                            • Sep 2006

What is it about that bastard that makes us have interesting discussions?
                            He doesn't seem to think too deeply about it itself, maybe we feel we must provide the interpretations ourselves if we want to be entertained?

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

I'm not sure what you mean by "worse," but it's definitely different, precisely because the constructedness of the aesthetic--its forceful imposition on the body--is highlighted as being staged, artificial, "unnatural."

Whereas I think DH tried to erase this artifice by making a certain ideal of beauty appear as the desirable, "natural" norm....

edit: sorry, i can't use nature or any related word without putting in quotes...
                              Yes exactly, the Dior aesthetic is built-in every item and part and parcel with it's "nature". If you disaprove of it I'd see it as much scarier from a consumer point of view.

Comment

• justine
                                • Jan 2007

Yes exactly, the Dior aesthetic is built-in every item and part and parcel with it's "nature". If you disaprove of it I'd see it as much scarier from a consumer point of view.
                                Well, if you disagree with DH's aesthetic you don't buy it; if you agree or like it, you buy it. Clear enough. But where does that leave TB's view? If you buy it you become one of the clones? Do you have to wear the suit with a grain of salt, or you wear this seriously? Probably with a grain of salt, ironically? Don't know....

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎