• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Thom Browne

[quote user="philip nod"]

f, what is your evidence for this? wouldn't it be all over everything since everybodys out to get him anyway? my friend said that he's pretty sure that's his family as he recalls seeing other members of his family w the same name on documents name and maybe his name was thomas and he shortened it. but of course, its still a mystery because he wasn't totally positive.

[/quote]

I remember reading it somewhere a long time ago, it was an article about how he came from jcrew (edit, or was it club monaco? can't remember) to what he is today. i wouldn't be surprised if he's intensively trying to bury that (along the fact that he devoted most of his career to jcrew). i can tell you absolutely sure that he put "h" in Thom and "e" in Browne, but I don't think even Tom Brown is his real name, just a "pen name."

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• iSuck
      • Mar 2008

Sooo umm Faust asked me to dig up this thead. ;)

Just skimmed through it; but, to make a comment: I did find it interesting that of all people to wear the TBxHW jewelry and get coverage was Robert Duvall at the Golden Globes. He wore a diamond tie clip.

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

you're etro, aren't you?!

Welcome. [51]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="iSuck"]

Sooo umm Faust asked me to dig up this thead. ;)

Just skimmed through it; but, to make a comment: I did find it interesting that of all people to wear the TBxHW jewelry and get coverage was Robert Duvall at the Golden Globes. He wore a diamond tie clip.

[/quote]

can you shed some light into his name? i am positive that i read an old article that said it's not his real name.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• iSuck
            • Mar 2008

[quote user="laika"]

you're etro, aren't you?!

Welcome. [51]

[/quote]

While I am new here I am going to update my sig to help everyone out. ;)

Comment

• iSuck
              • Mar 2008

[quote user="Faust"][can you shed some light into his name? i am positive that i read an old article that said it's not his real name.[/quote]

You know it's the one area that I never really cared to investigate.

I did do plenty of sleuthing to find out (before retailers and many others) that it was actually Trickers who made his shoes.

He was the Creative Director at Club Monaco (anyone see their windows recently with the cuffed tux style trousers with black longwings?) for a while and I almost want to say at one point he was even working for Ralph. He is pretty vocal about his Lancaster, PA upbringing and obviously was around in the industry before launching "Thom Browne" so I figure if his name really was Harvey Finkleberg that someone would come forth and say. If there was any mutation of his actual name I would put my money on Tom Brown ---> Thom Browne.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="iSuck"]

[quote user="Faust"][can you shed some light into his name? i am positive that i read an old article that said it's not his real name.[/quote]

You know it's the one area that I never really cared to investigate.

I did do plenty of sleuthing to find out (before retailers and many others) that it was actually Trickers who made his shoes.

He was the Creative Director at Club Monaco (anyone see their windows recently with the cuffed tux style trousers with black longwings?) for a while and I almost want to say at one point he was even working for Ralph. He is pretty vocal about his Lancaster, PA upbringing and obviously was around in the industry before launching "Thom Browne" so I figure if his name really was Harvey Finkleberg that someone would come forth and say. If there was any mutation of his actual name I would put my money on Tom Brown ---> Thom Browne.

[/quote]

Well, that's for sure - I've read that. Oh, well, I don't really care, just remember us talking about it.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• iSuck
                  • Mar 2008

[quote user="wire.artist"][

I knew it...thanbks for the confirmation..they are so similar in terms of construction and chunkyness

[/quote]

Here are mine.

Chunky and clanky (from the taps).

Comment

[quote user="iSuck"]

Chunky and clanky (from the taps).

[/quote]

I'm curious about this. I have these too, and the taps make an enormous amount of noise on the concrete floor in my office. To the point where I'm self-conscious about it. I've thought about putting rubber soles on instead, but that seems like it would an important part of the shoe. How do you deal with the noise? (I can only imagine these shoes on the diamond plate aluminum.)

Comment

• iSuck
                      • Mar 2008

I hate wearing shoes so it really isn't a problem when I am home because they come off the second I am in the door.

We don't have concerete at work...but, even worse are the marble floors in the hallways around our showrooms and exec offices. I've learned to sort of walk on the ball of my foot when I have to go through that area.

Other than that who cares? They can already see my ankles, what more is it to give them a soundtrack too?

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

the upside is - tap dancing!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• asho
                          • Nov 2007

A certain Sydney Shoemaker has been ripping on your obsession with those... Something relating to an affair with the "Army Nut"... Ha

Comment

• Real Real
                            • Feb 2007

I went to the American Folk Art museum today to see the Henry Darger exhibit they've been promoting. There were a bunch of Anthony Goicolea items as part of the exhibition, and it was kind of crazy how closely some of Thom Browne's stuff mirrored things that you saw in the Goicolea videos/works (and less closely mirrored other artists in the exhibition). I found it all pretty interesting.

Comment

• philip nod
                              • Aug 2007

they collaborated
                              One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

CHA-CHING!!!

Browne To Design New Moncler Line
                                By JEAN SCHEIDNES
                                Sept. 15, 2008

NEW YORK — As the news of Thom Browne’s plans to show in Florence spread last week, the influential designer also revealed that Moncler, the French skiwear brand beloved by the fashion flock, has tapped him to design a new men’s collection called Gamme Bleu (French for “blue range”).

DNR has also learned that Browne is developing items for the home, including champagne glasses.
                                Gamme Bleu will combine Browne’s singular Anglo-American sartorial style with Moncler’s sportif heritage.

Unlike Moncler’s prior collaboration with designer Junya Watanabe, Gamme Bleu will not be co-branded with Browne’s name. It will be the male counterpart to Gamme Rouge, Moncler’s women’s line designed by Giambattista Valli, who replaced Alessandra Facchinetti in the role when she went to Valentino.

Gamme Rouge prices range from $2,500 to $7,000, while Moncler’s mainline outerwear costs about $850 to $2,000. Gamme Bleu prices will probably not be as high as those of Gamme Rouge, since the men’s line will not have the same degree of costly decoration, but will be comparable, according to Moncler chairman and creative director Remo Ruffini.

This brand strategy resembles that of Browne’s collaboration with Brooks Brothers, called Black Fleece. That union is lauded partly because Browne’s aesthetic is highly influenced by mid-century Brooks Brothers.

Moncler is famous for duvet, or down, jackets and for super-glossy cire nylon, but some of its most recent styles feature British fabrics and arm stripes, which mesh nicely with Browne’s signatures.
                                “We are very much in sync,” agreed Browne. “It’s going to be a really good collaboration.” Down jackets will certainly be part of the lineup, with potential for sportswear and accessories to follow, and everything in the collection will be functional for sport, said Ruffini, who sought Browne for the job and calls him his favorite men’s wear designer.

“The only one who can do this project is Thom. For me he’s the best in the market, and he works with very, very traditional fabrics,” said Ruffini. “This is the moment to do this for men, because we finished our collaboration with Junya,” he added.

Browne’s contract is for three years, or six seasons. The Gamme Bleu brand strategy allows for him to renew at that point or for another designer to take over.

Gamme Bleu will be presented in January in Milan, where Moncler typically has a presentation during Men’s Fashion Week. Moncler is Italian-owned, but still made near Grenoble, France, where it started making outerwear in 1952. It had already made mountain survival gear since 1933.

As DNR first reported online Sept. 5, Browne will show his fall 2009 collection in Florence as the featured guest at the Pitti Immagine Uomo trade fair. Every season one designer is invited to put on a creative event or installation during Pitti. Recent featured designers have been Walter Van Beirendonck, Adam Kimmel, Diesel and Kris Van Assche.

“It’s a huge honor and I can’t wait for people to see what I’m going to do. I have a vision, and they’re totally open to going for it,” said Browne, who had wanted to show in Europe for some time but never took the leap before. He wouldn’t disclose the location he chose, only that it hadn’t been used in a long time. “When you arrive you will know it is so perfect for my whole thing,” he said.

Browne’s New York shows are highly art-directed, conceptual affairs that generate intense and differing opinions. (See New York Fashion Week reviews, page 11.)

He presents avant-garde showpieces that are often influenced by women’s wear and unnamed, dark forces. But he also gets credit for the shrunken, ankle-revealing suit silhouette that has become de rigueur in men’s fashion. Browne’s shocking silhouettes subvert the rigorous, mid-century-banker style that his customers generally go for.

As for designing housewares, Browne confirmed, “In a very small way. I’m not launching Thom Browne Home, but I’ve always wanted to develop things like champagne coupes that I would like to use myself.”

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎