X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

I fucking hate Tom Brown.

Yes Moncler, make your $2500-7000 outerwear that only shitty people that want to be seen skiing Vail or in the Alps will buy. Leave the actual, functional, GOOD mountaineering/survival gear to those that specialize in it.

I wouldn't trust my life with Moncler anything.
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• reborn
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      CHA-CHING!!!

Browne To Design New Moncler Line
      I don't know how I feel about this collab. The Gamme Rouge stuff is awesome...but a TB Moncler hybrid would seem unnecessary and way over priced (much like the brooks brothers stuff).

Of course, I'll probably change my mind once I see it at Yoox randomly priced at $288.

Comment

• philip nod
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
        I fucking hate Tom Brown.

Yes Moncler, make your $2500-7000 outerwear that only shitty people that want to be seen skiing Vail or in the Alps will buy. Leave the actual, functional, GOOD mountaineering/survival gear to those that specialize in it.

I wouldn't trust my life with Moncler anything.
        whos tom brown?
        One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
          whos tom brown?
          Some Yankee impostor who is trying to pass him off as a true English gentleman, but keeps lapsing into ill proportionate Americana. But maybe the Americana is purposeful? Then what's with the pretentious name? Hmmm... Nice suits though...
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• reborn
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
            whos tom brown?

Tom Jones' step brother...their duet of "sex bomb" is awesome and its a personal favorite.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

reborn, send me the link to the smilies you post, maybe i'll upload some to SZ.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
                • Sep 2008

strangely enough i feel this collaboration makes more sense than LV X CDG.
                www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• reborn
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                  strangely enough i feel this collaboration makes more sense than LV X CDG.

The fact that the CdG - LV collab doesn't make sense seems to work for me. Luxury and avant garde, independent and mass market...Opposites attract.

TB already does moncler-eque pieces in his main collection. Moncler Bleu will probably be parrallel of TB's existing efforts with his own label...but that does not show growth, development, perspective, etc...for me, the jury is still out.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by reborn View Post
                    The fact that the CdG - LV collab doesn't make sense seems to work for me. Luxury and avant garde, independent and mass market...Opposites attract.

TB already does moncler-eque pieces in his main collection. Moncler Bleu will probably be parrallel of TB's existing efforts with his own label...but that does not show growth, development, perspective, etc...for me, the jury is still out.
                    No it doesn't. The whole point of avant-garde is that it's not for the mass consumption, and mixing it with a mass brand like LV is nothing but a commercial enterprise and any artistic pretense here on Rei's part (not sure if she has any though) is laughable.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• reborn
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      No it doesn't. The whole point of avant-garde is that it's not for the mass consumption, and mixing it with a mass brand like LV is nothing but a commercial enterprise and any artistic pretense here on Rei's part (not sure if she has any though) is laughable.
                      I thought Avant Garde was about being experimental. For CdG, this may be another branch in that tree...I mean Dover Street Market is a commercial venture but is still avant garde...perhaps I am pushing the definition a little...

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by reborn View Post
                        I thought Avant Garde was about being experimental. For CdG, this may be another branch in that tree...I mean Dover Street Market is a commercial venture but is still avant garde...perhaps I am pushing the definition a little...
                        I think you are. I don't see what's avant-garde about DSM? It's just a department store. Yea, it's cooler than say Jeffrey or Louis Boston, but is it a sign of its avant-gardism or simply good editing skills of its buyers (except the inexplicable John Galliano)?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

The Brown Doctrine (WWD)

Thom Browne, New York’s most theatrical and polarizing men’s wear designer, makes his European debut next week, showing his fall collection at the Pitti Immagine Uomo fair in Florence.

As Pitti’s featured guest designer — an honor bestowed on Walter Van Beirendonck, Adam Kimmel and Kris Van Assche in recent seasons — Browne has an opportunity to reach people in the market who perhaps haven’t seen his New York shows and don’t know what he stands for. So for this season he reconsidered the avant-garde antics and perverse, themed spectacles his New York audiences have come to expect.

Like countless women’s wear designers, Browne has a history of including outlandish showpieces that are meant to stir the imagination or set a mood for a runway show without regard for practicality or commercial viability. But this common practice in women’s wear doesn’t go over the same in men’s wear, and sets up Browne’s detractors to dismiss his work as “unwearable” or “a joke.” In defense, Browne’s fans say he delivers a much-needed goosing to American men’s wear, which certainly isn’t often celebrated for provocation or wild creativity.

For his part, the designer always says it is his goal to incite strong responses, favorable or not. Therefore, one might expect him to dial up the absurdity for European audiences, who are known to have a higher tolerance for it. But it wouldn’t be like Browne to do something widely acceptable. He always seeks to upend the status quo. Next Wednesday, the audience will determine whether he succeeded.

“A lot of Europeans don’t know me,” Browne said. “So I wanted to do something very signature. This presentation shows where it all started and what I’m all about.”

Where it all started is with a gray suit.

Browne left a design job at Club Monaco to open a bespoke tailoring shop in New York’s Meatpacking District. His signature suit, with cropped and tapered pants, arrived on the downtown scene in 2001, and before anyone could sneer, “Where’s the flood?” the hems of the male fashion editors began inching upward, at least until the fabric lost the break at the ankle, and then, maybe higher. In combination with Browne’s extremely square, mid-century, businesslike aesthetic, the creepy new leg subverted not only saggy pants but also America’s wholesome, preppy self-image.

The shrunken, ankle-baring silhouette received an official stamp of approval of sorts when Browne won the CFDA’s Menswear Designer of the Year Award in 2006 — not that the award settled the issue. The men’s industry remains divided over Browne’s merits. In one camp, people still ridicule “Pee Wee Herman pants,” as well as “the wedding dress” and “the chicken suit,” which were memorable showpieces. But in the other camp — the smaller one where people tend to be more fiercely devoted to fashion — Browne is a vanguard. In fact, a small number of men zealously wear the relatively conservative and distinctly tailored clothes from his commercial collections the same way he does — as a tidy uniform. Countless more men have adopted a leaner suit silhouette that was inspired by Browne, though they may not even know it.

What is no longer disputed is Browne’s influence, especially not since he caught the eye of Brooks Brothers. That bastion of American sartorial orthodoxy unexpectedly chose Browne to design its Black Fleece collection in 2007. The clothes are a snugly cut hybrid of Brooks and Browne — traditional fabrics, modern shape — which is not too much of a stretch for a designer who always evidently channeled classic Brooks in his namesake collection. Black Fleece reportedly got off to a rocky start, and the commercial success of the partnership remains unclear, but it created mountains of publicity for both parties, who extended their contract. By then, Browne had also collaborated briefly with jeweler Harry Winston.

Meanwhile, Browne longed to take his show to Europe. Pitti Immagine finally gave him the push he needed.

“The great thing about the Pitti organization is they really encouraged me to do something outside of just a runway show. My shows are pretty out-there anyway, but they encouraged me to do something very different,” he said.

He revealed the show would have no runway and would be strictly choreographed.

“It’s so singularly striking that every single piece has to be perfect for it to work. So we’ve been killing ourselves,” he said of his atelier. The show location will be the assembly hall of the Italian air force academy, the Istituto di Scienze Militari Aeronautiche.

“At first I thought it would be great to cast the cadets, but they declined,” Browne said.

Regardless, he saw the school’s “fascist” architecture as the ideal setting for an exploration of uniformity in men’s business attire. If invoking fascism in Italy seems risky, Browne insists he’s not trying to make a political statement.

“It’s the beauty in the uniformity that I find refreshing. Not having so much choice is what I find refreshing,” he said. Indeed, Browne is personally known for his regimented daily habits, which extend to the gray suits and white button-down oxford shirts he dons every morning. Having rewritten the rules of suiting up, he doesn’t deviate from them.

Later this month, another Browne collaboration, Moncler Gamme Bleu, will launch with a show at Milan Men’s Fashion Week. And Browne’s Pitti presentation will also feature a bit of co-branding: a one-off, Samsonite Black Label briefcase that every model will carry. One objective of all this additional effort is to steer traffic to Browne’s booth at Pitti Uomo, where the full range of his fall collection will be on view. If the space feels militaristic, like a recruitment center, in a way it is one.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rach2jlc
                            • Sep 2006

I tend to like individual pieces that TB does, but TB himself, the way he markets himself, and the runway collections just make me want to gag.

If he'd just offer the nice, simple, slim Americana type basics that are in the main collections... I'd be fine. But, instead, with the goofy high-waters, the Little Lord Fauntleroy smarmy grin, the gimmicky runway collections, and the odd collaborations... he just gets on my nerves.

True, they say "all publicity is good publicity," but I think TB is supersaturating his market all at once.

It might work out for him, who knows. I just don't think he's got the talent to make this a lifelong enterprise. It's "hot" right now... but where can he take it from here?

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

I concur. But there is always someone to say that he is a visionary and he challenges the notion of American by using sinister undertones in his shows, bla, bla, bla, bla...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Johnny
                                • Sep 2006

I am beggining to find the whole Thom Browne story really dull - every artilce is the same (his repetitious life habits feature especially highly; so he wears the same stuff every day - well blow me down). His S/S runway really is a joke. Speaking of which has anyone seen his take on the jack purcell on collette.fr. Yours for only Euro1450.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎