Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fade to Black
    • Sep 2008

Yeah I saw those Jack Purcells, really awful, the worst out of the 4 actually (the others being MMJ, Libertine and N(N)). I think they're cheaper here though, Joyce selling them for a little over $7K HKD which is less than a grand in USD.

Thom Browne is being worshipped by the local fashion media right down to the streetwear magazines who are praising the virtues of Black Fleece oxford button downs and saying that the TB X Converse are a must must have.
    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• rach2jlc
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      I concur. But there is always someone to say that he is a visionary and he challenges the notion of American by using sinister undertones in his shows, bla, bla, bla, bla...
      I agree and they do it because it is new, hot, and they have a financial, material, or professional stake in its success by making it be the next big thing.

I called it "Emperor's New Clothes" from the beginning and I think, at the end of the day, he'll be known for his nice, simple twists on basics... not for anything more high-brow or intellectual.

The proof is in the pudding and, like Prada, some people think that just because you keep calling it intellectual, it becomes it. Eh... not really.

If you make nice, well-made basics with simple twists... go with that. Doing more without the requisite conceptual or artistic "meatiness" just makes it a stupid gimmick for people who don't know any better.

Comment

• Fade to Black
        • Sep 2008

bit of a tangent but agreed with the point about Prada...nothing intellectual about it, the pieces from her brand that had staying power in a wardrobe were the basics. Likewise with Thom, and to a certain degree I'd say Hedi as well.
        www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• reborn
          • Aug 2008

Was at Barneys NY Boston last week...a full rack of TB button downs as part of the Spring '09 selections. Nothing spectacular or noteworthy aside from the quantity.

Comment

• laika
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by reborn View Post
            Was at Barneys NY Boston last week...a full rack of TB button downs as part of the Spring '09 selections. Nothing spectacular or noteworthy aside from the quantity.
            The button downs are ridiculous--they are completely identical to the ones from Black Fleece only silly expensive. The fit is fantastic though, especially for women...
            ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

not exactly identical to the Black Fleece shirts - the fit on the eponymous label shirts are more modern, sleeker and more tapered, less square. Don't know if this makes any sense, guess it's just my perspective after having tried on shirts from both lines. I felt like I was walking in cardboard when I tried on a BF shirt.
              www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• reborn
                • Aug 2008

The price point between the two labels (for button downs) isn't all that off...black fleece $150 USD, TB $225/250 USD.

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by rach2jlc View Post

I called it "Emperor's New Clothes" from the beginning and I think, at the end of the day, he'll be known for his nice, simple twists on basics... not for anything more high-brow or intellectual.

The proof is in the pudding and, like Prada, some people think that just because you keep calling it intellectual, it becomes it. Eh... not really.
                  Who is intellectualizing him though? Certainly TB is not presenting himself as intellectual.
                  ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• laika
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                    not exactly identical to the Black Fleece shirts - the fit on the eponymous label shirts are more modern, sleeker and more tapered, less square. Don't know if this makes any sense, guess it's just my perspective after having tried on shirts from both lines. I felt like I was walking in cardboard when I tried on a BF shirt.
                    Really? I guess I don't know what i'm talking about then...
                    Fit wise, I can only speak about the womens, and the BF shirts are excellent in this regard---button downs can be very difficult for women. I just don't really wear oxfords myself.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                      • Sep 2008

yeah from what i've seen BF works pretty well styled on women - i like it more than the men's.
                      www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Fade to Black
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by reborn View Post
                        The price point between the two labels (for button downs) isn't all that off...black fleece $150 USD, TB $225/250 USD.
                        the 200 range price for TB shirts is just the basic white oxford though...most patterned/detailed/textured shirts are 400+
                        www.matthewhk.net

Comment

• Johnny
                          • Sep 2006

Yes FtB is right on the fit thing. I have both and even if you size down on the BF, the fit is still more forgiving. Truth be told I have TB1 BF shirts and thus for the mainline I should be a 2, but the 3 is more, ahem, comfortable shall we say. Run fat boy run.

Comment

• Fuuma
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                            Yes FtB is right on the fit thing. I have both and even if you size down on the BF, the fit is still more forgiving. Truth be told I have TB1 BF shirts and thus for the mainline I should be a 2, but the 3 is more, ahem, comfortable shall we say. Run fat boy run.
                            Are you a 48?
                            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• mass
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                              yeah from what i've seen BF works pretty well styled on women - i like it more than the men's.
                              the women's jackets fit me perfectly!!!!

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by laika View Post
                                Who is intellectualizing him though? Certainly TB is not presenting himself as intellectual.
                                Not as an intellectual per se, but certainly as someone who has something deep to offer in the realm of fashion.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎