• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TriggerDiscipline
    • Apr 2013

not enough blackbird talk in here tbh
    Originally posted by unwashed
    Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
    Originally posted by Ahimsa
    I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
      not enough blackbird talk in here tbh
      We did a piece on Blackbird way back, and another one on the incense they did with Cold Cave.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by dddr View Post
        Thank you for the article, as I've only just recently relocated to japan and didn't know the guy before, would definitely pop down to one of the stockists.

speaking of japanese fragrance, i noticed there aren't that many options when it comes to niche perfume like tobali, i don't recall seeing much in the thread either except for cdg obviously, there are lots of incense around on the other hand, probably it has something to do with the culture, if anyone know of any decent japanese perfumer would love to hear more about it, whether it's traditional or the new creative ones!
        It's true - there doesn't seem to be all that much out there.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• demifiend
          • May 2019

as with most things fashion & aesthetics i am a newcomer to perfumes (and very late to the party, in the latter half of my 30s), i latched on to CDG black last fall which i love, but i've been in search of some new scents. after reading the SZ editorial on tobali i decided to snag a few vials from aedes and i'm very much digging the iron wind.

i struggle with this area a lot though; i can tell you that i enjoy something, but i don't have much of a vocabulary to describe precisely why.

when i studied psychology, perception was one of the areas that really fascinated me, but it largely dealt with the "how" of things in a more mechanical sense. accordingly i have a reasonable notion (insofar as any layperson can) of how olfaction works, but sorting out all of the subtle notes & development that seems to come so effortlessly to perfume enthusiasts is totally mystifying to me.

is fragrance an area where you all have a natural affinity, or is it something you've had to develop over time? i'm curious if this is something that can be trained, or if it's just a question of who is blessed (or cursed) with having an unusually sensitive olfactory capacity.

anyway, hi, SZ folks! i hope this line of inquiry isn't too insufferably basic.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by demifiend View Post
            as with most things fashion & aesthetics i am a newcomer to perfumes (and very late to the party, in the latter half of my 30s), i latched on to CDG black last fall which i love, but i've been in search of some new scents. after reading the SZ editorial on tobali i decided to snag a few vials from aedes and i'm very much digging the iron wind.

i struggle with this area a lot though; i can tell you that i enjoy something, but i don't have much of a vocabulary to describe precisely why.

when i studied psychology, perception was one of the areas that really fascinated me, but it largely dealt with the "how" of things in a more mechanical sense. accordingly i have a reasonable notion (insofar as any layperson can) of how olfaction works, but sorting out all of the subtle notes & development that seems to come so effortlessly to perfume enthusiasts is totally mystifying to me.

is fragrance an area where you all have a natural affinity, or is it something you've had to develop over time? i'm curious if this is something that can be trained, or if it's just a question of who is blessed (or cursed) with having an unusually sensitive olfactory capacity.

anyway, hi, SZ folks! i hope this line of inquiry isn't too insufferably basic.
            Heh, try WRITING about it ;-) It comes over time, and I'm still a noob - I don't really have the vocabulary necessary to take a deep dive. But that hasn't stopped me enjoying it and even interviewing the mighty Frederic Malle twice, which I admit was terrifying.

Welcome to the forum!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Avalon
              • Sep 2017

I bought the Hinoki this spring, tested a bunch in the shop and fell for the woody tones. Yesteday I bought myself the standard CDG Black bottle, thinking it will suit the colder temperatures better, but still similar. I also think the Hinoki is short lasting...

I'm new to "better perfumes" and exploring this area of expression is very interesting. There's many good tips in this thread which I will take into account in the future.
              Originally posted by Faust
              Boots. Always, boots.

Comment

• haydn
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Avalon View Post
                I bought the Hinoki this spring, tested a bunch in the shop and fell for the woody tones. Yesteday I bought myself the standard CDG Black bottle, thinking it will suit the colder temperatures better, but still similar. I also think the Hinoki is short lasting...

I'm new to "better perfumes" and exploring this area of expression is very interesting. There's many good tips in this thread which I will take into account in the future.
                Hinoki I also find very fleeting - as is the case with most scents intended for a Japanese market (not saying that all CDG are short lived or intended for a Japanese audience only, rather that I’ve never came across a long lasting Hinoki fragrance).

Similar but longer lasting, CDG Standard has improved longevity and has very similar woody undertones

Comment

• Nickefuge
                  • Nov 2014

I can suggest doing a blind test to find the perfect scent. It’s what I did two years ago and I ended up with "Cuir Blanc" by Evody, a brand I hadn’t heard of before in a flacon I surely wouldn’t have reached for. But it’s exactly what I’ve been looking for and I’ve been using it regularly ever since.
                  "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                  -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Avalon
                    • Sep 2017

Yeah, speaking of blind testing I almost bought BBS' perfume, only because of the brand it must be what I'm looking for kind of thing. Even the staff tried convincing me since it "suits my aesthetic".
                    Boots. Always, boots.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Avalon View Post

I also frequently use CDG Black in the winter. It feels warming.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Avalon
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                        I also frequently use CDG Black in the winter. It feels warming.
                        Indeed. It brings back woodwork memories from high school, in my case.
                        Boots. Always, boots.

Comment

• haydn
                          • Feb 2013

New fragrance project associated with Sruli Recht (under the Norlan glass company)

The Vam Terrain Fragrance Is an olfactive hologram, reflecting the aromatic contours of three distinctive regions of Scotland, developed to enrich your interior environment.

What makes this interesting aside from Sruli Recht is the involvement of Mark Buxton, who is the nose behind many Comme Des Garçons and Le Labo fragrances (aside from more commercial work for Cartier, Givenchy, etc). Seems to be interior fragrances only at this time.
                          Last edited by haydn; 10-08-2019, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

I have all three samples in my possession. They are good. One is very grassy, too are very smoky, woody. I love Scotland (or the idea of Scotland?), so it all works for me. I spray them on my Mad et Len lava rocks...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mikemikemike
                              • Jun 2011

has anyone had a chance to try Yoyogi scent from cdg / monocle ?

Comment

• Anton
                                • Oct 2014

I've been using Tom Ford's Oud Wood for the office recently, it's nice but nothing really special. I want something that smells great and fits most social situations. Any recommendations to check out? The perfume needs to be accessible (easy to get), I like deep (woody, musky) smells or fresh ones but nothing sweet.
                                I love beautiful melodies, telling me terrible things.
                                My Music: https://soundcloud.com/iamanton

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎