Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lohikaarme
    • Jul 2013

Anyone got experience with Across by M.A+? I've heard anything from "old man books" to "very woody base."

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Lohikaarme View Post
      Anyone got experience with Across by M.A+? I've heard anything from "old man books" to "very woody base."
      I'll sell you mine, 99.5% of the bottle left. Not that I don't like it - I think it's really lovely, but I have too many fragrances. It's a beautiful scent, definitely floral/edible but not feminine. It certainly does not smell musty. There is almost like a madeleine note in it, very Proustian :-) It's not a hard-hitting, overly masculine smell, so if you love things like CdG Black, you may find this too soft.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Lohikaarme
        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        I'll sell you mine, 99.5% of the bottle left. Not that I don't like it - I think it's really lovely, but I have too many fragrances. It's a beautiful scent, definitely floral/edible but not feminine. It certainly does not smell musty. There is almost like a madeleine note in it, very Proustian :-) It's not a hard-hitting, overly masculine smell, so if you love things like CdG Black, you may find this too soft.
        We can take this to PMs after this if you prefer. I'm sort of on the fence with buying fragrances since I have another in the mail anyhow.

Since you mentioned CdG and floral, how is it compared to Floriental?

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Lohikaarme View Post
          We can take this to PMs after this if you prefer. I'm sort of on the fence with buying fragrances since I have another in the mail anyhow.

Since you mentioned CdG and floral, how is it compared to Floriental?
          It's not like Floriental from what I remember about Floriental (admittedly I smelled it a long time ago). I think I expressed myself wrong when I mentioned floral. But, yeah, if you want it, take it to PM.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shifts
            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by darkbydesign View Post
            Wow. Not the conversation I'd expect to see here. FM EdP may have some traditional fragrances but to me while he enables the most classic of perfumers and the line is a romantic tribute to classic fragrance traditions, the actual fragrances released (to me) are far from bland or traditional. Basically, the chemistry and method may be, but the fragrances themselves are modern. The Night, The Dawn, Promise, POAL, Geranium PM, Superstition, Carnal Flower are all far from bland or traditional. :). Some of the other fragrances are more classic - such as French Lover, but it's still quality. What rises above more fragrance houses is the quality. Basically the chemistry and design period behind each of the frags is extensive - the process. The ingredients, the projection, the longevity are all on point as a result.

The concept of Night-Dawn-Promise-POAL-Geranium-Super-Carnal beast mode as "bland" and"lacking personality" is literally an LOL moment for me. Those are some of the most complex and loud fragrances around. Anytime I wear any of those selection at least like 5 people that day ask me about it.

I think it's interesting that people think of CdG as outrageous. I own like half the CdG frags and well, soda smells like soda, garage smells like a garage tribute, harissa = harissa, the incenses series is amazing but except for Zyg there's nothing unexpected at all, all the reds smell like they should, greens = exactly their title, etc etc. :). If you want outrageous you should blind buy.......UNUM - But Not Today. Then you'll know something legit outrageous. :).
            I agree with everything you say here, but want to just expand on CdG as being outrageous as that was my comment: For someone not well experienced in scents, I believe Malle could feel bland and traditional in comparison to CdG – a brand I mention as I know it is probably one fragrance brand most known to members of this forum.

CdG's concepts are usually (not always) communicated min a very clear and direct way. Also going back to the early 2000:s, CdG was not seen has your average brand releasing average scents – they did something completely different to pretty much everyone else then. It is from this standpoint I say "outrageous", but it is not my view on the brand's scented output.

Comment

• delicious_not
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by darkbydesign View Post
              If you want outrageous you should blind buy.......UNUM - But Not Today. Then you'll know something legit outrageous. :).
              for a truly bizarre experience, i would suggest "Io Non Ho Mani Che Mi Accarezzino il Volto" - that fucking thing smells like death, or maybe morgue, and not in a perfume-y "nice way", very literal actually. "But Not Today" is very interesting too, but i didn't find it shocking at all. although i must admit, i kinda imagined myself a vampire drinking a virgin's blood haha.

Comment

• depressiveweeb
                • Jan 2019

I use "At The Barbershop" from the Margiela replica line, picked it up about 5 months ago and love it so much still

Comment

• stagename
                  • Oct 2011

I'm taking suggestions for church scents. I have/had CDG Avignon, Armani Bois d'Encens and Heeley Cardinal. UNUM LAVS is next up on my list if I can manage to find it, but I'd happily get something else. Thanks!

Comment

• Ahimsa
                    Vegan Police
                    • Sep 2011

This is the best thread I could think of to post this here:

LOVE AND DEATH: COLD CAVE X BLACKBIRD

StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• Nickefuge
                      • Nov 2014

I hope the smell is superior to the appearance of the packaging. Looks like either hair gel or a Bruno Banani fragrance.
                      "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                      -Paris Hilton

Comment

• bukka
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Nickefuge View Post
                        I hope the smell is superior to the appearance of the packaging. Looks like either hair gel or a Bruno Banani fragrance.
                        Yep...
                        Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• haydn
                          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by stagename View Post
                          I'm taking suggestions for church scents. I have/had CDG Avignon, Armani Bois d'Encens and Heeley Cardinal. UNUM LAVS is next up on my list if I can manage to find it, but I'd happily get something else. Thanks!
                          Essence of John Galliano by Diptyque is the closest thing to what I would say is distilled orthodox Catholic Church in a bottle. It’s only available in candle and room spray, but I use the room spray to scent clothes or a spray on the chest (it’s potent - a bottle will likely last you years). Most Diptyque boutiques have it and it’s easily found online - but not at the shop in shops like we have in Toronto at saks and holts. Very well crafted, and worth looking for when traveling.

Comment

• Law
                            • Dec 2013

Originally posted by stagename View Post
                            LAV’s is what you seek. Although. Long discontinued, Norma Komali incense is holy grail territory (if you can find it).

Comment

• stagename
                              • Oct 2011

Thanks haydn and Law! Super appreciated. I've added both and going over the border next week so I'll keep my eyes open.

Comment

• k3mist
                                • Apr 2013

Avignon is my fav churchy scent by far. Never liked UNUM Lavs, didn't work well on my skin.

Though my all time fav scent is Iris Silver Mist from Serge Lutens and my everyday one now is Aesops Hwyl haha, very underrated but I think some of you would really like it!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎