Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Do_Decor
    • Jul 2018

Cold days: Tom Ford Tobacco Oud Intense.
    It is working well with leather clothes and thicker fabrics.
    Due to the castoreum I guess.
    I had the Oud Wood Intense before, but I prefer the tobacco because it is a tad sweeter and not quite as „beastly“.

Warm days: For thin fabrics, T-Shirts, cotton I wear Kenzo Air pour Homme Intense. It has vetiver, some Anise, some light wood. It is summery and light but dark at the same time.
    It is very light with poor sillage but for the summer it is fine. This is not made anymore so the poor sillage can also be related to long storage. If anyone knows of a similar fragrance with a better sillage would appreciate a pointer.

Comment

• miserableman
      • Dec 2009

Antonioli used to fragrance their deliveries with something, not ordered for about 5 years but does anyone with a good memory know what Im talking about?

Comment

• qazwsx
        • Feb 2012

Recently discovered this "Santo Incienso" Extrait de Parfum by The Different Company at Nose (20 Rue Bachaumont, Paris). Spent about an hour and a half looking for an alternative to "Graphite" by Mad et len (a bit too pricey) and I turned out picking this woody & bergamot parfum. Lasts fairly long (5+ hours). Got plenty of compliments everytime i wear it.
        "Things you own, end up owning you." --- Tyler Durden [FightClub 1999]

Comment

• Nomadic Planet
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by qazwsx View Post
          Recently discovered this "Santo Incienso" Extrait de Parfum by The Different Company at Nose (20 Rue Bachaumont, Paris). Spent about an hour and a half looking for an alternative to "Graphite" by Mad et len (a bit too pricey) and I turned out picking this woody & bergamot parfum. Lasts fairly long (5+ hours). Got plenty of compliments everytime i wear it.
          I recently discovered that NOSE store too, it's a really nice place. If you like niche perfumes, there's also JOVOY, near Place Vendome, but it's a way more luxurious store, nice experience too... Nose is less intimidating tho.
          I went there to check UNUM perfumes, which I discovered at Orimono in Berlin, a really nice discovery and definitely in my purchase list. ;)

I'll check out the Different company too at Nose as soon as I have the opportunity to hop there.

cheers fellow parisien.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

For Paris, if you want the uniquest of unique, go to Sense Unique in the lower Marais. It's run by two Russian girls, and, man, do they know their stuff!
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Nomadic Planet
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              For Paris, if you want the uniquest of unique, go to Sense Unique in the lower Marais. It's run by two Russian girls, and, man, do they know their stuff!
              I know that store too, but I just went once very briefly and didn't spend any time there nor chatted with the staff. Saw on Instagram they did an event with Elixir Gallery in Greece recently, it seems a nice store with a great expertise / curation.... it remains the smallest of these 3 stores for niche/alternative perfumery , with Nose and Jovoy.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Latest addition is Promise by Frederic Malle. It's fabulous in its richness. Brings my Malle collection up to three.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Nomadic Planet
                  • Dec 2012

Latest addition is Promise by Frederic Malle. It's fabulous in its richness. Brings my Malle collection up to three.
                  I had the opportunity to discover EDP Fred Malle at work because they are a new client of my company so I met their marketing team and they gave us some samples.
                  As much as the concept behind the brand is really appealing (an anti-marketing brand), I've found their perfumes to be rather bland and lacking personality.
                  I'm no perfume expert AT ALL, but I really have the impression it's like the brand where all the perfumers of the great commercial houses can do what they can't elsewhere in terms of ingredient quality etc. but the perfumes still smell very classic to me, because the prefumers are the same as those of regular commercial brands....It's like old people perfume... but well made.

Again, I'm no perfume expert, my nose is not particularly sophisticated... but I tend to appreciate perfumes I find a bit "weird". These smell very classic / mainstream, although elegant.

I hear the "selling ceremony" at the store is really cool and you get to understand better the products, I might have to go to a store and check that out.
                  Last edited by Nomadic Planet; 11-11-2018, 07:44 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Nomadic Planet View Post
                    I had the opportunity to discover EDP Fred Malle at work because they are a new client of my company so I met their marketing team and they gave us some samples.
                    As much as the concept behind the brand is really appealing (an anti-marketing brand), I've found their perfumes to be rather bland and lacking personality.
                    I'm no perfume expert AT ALL, but I really have the impression it's like the brand where all the perfumers of the great commercial houses can do what they can't elsewhere in terms of ingredient quality etc. but the perfumes still smell very classic to me, because the prefumers are the same as those of regular commercial brands....It's like old people perfume... but well made.

Again, I'm no perfume expert, my nose is not particularly sophisticated... but I tend to appreciate perfumes I find a bit "weird". These smell very classic / mainstream, although elegant.

I hear the "selling ceremony" at the store is really cool and you get to understand better the products, I might have to go to a store and check that out.
                    Hmmm, to each their own, I guess, especially with perfume.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shifts
                      • Jul 2013

Fredric Malle bland and lacking personality? Those were two statements I never thought I'd see in regards to Malle to be honest. I respectfully disagree. :)

Comment

• Nomadic Planet
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Shifts View Post
                        Fredric Malle bland and lacking personality? Those were two statements I never thought I'd see in regards to Malle to be honest. I respectfully disagree. :)
                        I know I know ! That’s why I say I’m No perfume expert , I know I’m missing something here ....

It’s just to my inexperienced nose it smells just nice, but not very interesting. I know I have to give another try, and maybe go beyond the samples that were given to me, which I assume are their best sellers ...

Comment

• Shifts
                          • Jul 2013

Naw, no need to spend time not interesting to you. It is all subjective in the end anyway. That time is better spent searching for a scent you enjoy.

For me Malle might not be outrageous like CdG, but they have done lot's for the niche fragrance world we see today, putting the names of the perfumers into the public's eye. I don't like all their offerings, but still rarely find them bland (apart from some recent releases like Eau de Magnolia and Cologne Indelebile. Sure they are working on very recognisable themes, but do it so well and usually by exaggerating certain aspects of that theme.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Shifts View Post
                            I know, it's funny, because the entire raison d'etre of Frederic Malle was to stand against the blandness of mass market perfume. Nomadic, it could be that you are coming late to the game, but as Shifts says, Malle was THE pioneer (along with Serge Lutens) of niche perfumery - his contribution cannot be underestimated. Perhaps by now we are so spoilt for choice it may no longer seem radical. Still, like Shifts, says, if you don't like it, you don't like it. But if you haven't, you should read our interview, and it may shed some light.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• casem
                              • Sep 2006

I think I get what nomadic is saying as I had the same experience at first with Malle. I think it depends on your point of reference, I was coming from mostly knowing CDG perfumes and by comparison Malle seemed very traditional. I do think all Malle scents stick to some very traditional elements of good perfumery in the way they are structured and even their adventurous ones seem tame if you are used to the synthetic punch of brands like CDG, Byredo, Le Labo etc. But the quality and nuance of Malle fragrances REALLY grew on me after multiple tries, and several of them that made me go "meh" at first have become my favorite perfumes.

So I would say give them another try (or multiple tries), try to get your hands on their nice generous samples, but of course don't force yourself to like it just because it is highly regarded.

I know, it's funny, because the entire raison d'etre of Frederic Malle was to stand against the blandness of mass market perfume. Nomadic, it could be that you are coming late to the game, but as Shifts says, Malle was THE pioneer (along with Serge Lutens) of niche perfumery - his contribution cannot be underestimated. Perhaps by now we are so spoilt for choice it may no longer seem radical. Still, like Shifts, says, if you don't like it, you don't like it. But if you haven't, you should read our interview, and it may shed some light.

https://www.sz-mag.com/news/2017/03/...rfume-passion/
                              music

Comment

• darkbydesign
                                • Sep 2010

Wow. Not the conversation I'd expect to see here. FM EdP may have some traditional fragrances but to me while he enables the most classic of perfumers and the line is a romantic tribute to classic fragrance traditions, the actual fragrances released (to me) are far from bland or traditional. Basically, the chemistry and method may be, but the fragrances themselves are modern. The Night, The Dawn, Promise, POAL, Geranium PM, Superstition, Carnal Flower are all far from bland or traditional. :). Some of the other fragrances are more classic - such as French Lover, but it's still quality. What rises above more fragrance houses is the quality. Basically the chemistry and design period behind each of the frags is extensive - the process. The ingredients, the projection, the longevity are all on point as a result.

The concept of Night-Dawn-Promise-POAL-Geranium-Super-Carnal beast mode as "bland" and"lacking personality" is literally an LOL moment for me. Those are some of the most complex and loud fragrances around. Anytime I wear any of those selection at least like 5 people that day ask me about it.

I think it's interesting that people think of CdG as outrageous. I own like half the CdG frags and well, soda smells like soda, garage smells like a garage tribute, harissa = harissa, the incenses series is amazing but except for Zyg there's nothing unexpected at all, all the reds smell like they should, greens = exactly their title, etc etc. :). If you want outrageous you should blind buy.......UNUM - But Not Today. Then you'll know something legit outrageous. :).

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎