Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Castor
    • Nov 2009

The Etat Libre d'Orange line has always confused me with their too conceptual packaging/naming/branding, even though I find some of their fragrances nice. But I think I found one that is full bottle worthy. Fils de Dieu . . . Complex, but easy with the most unusual notes, including rice, ginger, cardamom, coconut, lime, vanilla and castoreum. Good stuff you could wear forever.
    Originally posted by DRRRK
    The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• the breaks
        • Sep 2007

Cedar and vetiver... this sounds right up my alley.
        Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

Can't say I'm too excited with those notes - especially after they've cornered the market on affordable incense-woods, but never say never...I'll wait until I smell to judge.
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Castor
            • Nov 2009

Anyone try MDCI Chypre Palatin? Love it, but a bit sweet.

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

I was a bit disappointed...granted, the stuff Kurkdjian did for that line was incredibly beautiful and hard to beat, and I'm not a huge Duchaufour fan. It's still really nice, just not for the prices they charge.
              i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• UA+
                • Nov 2007

Dane, are you the one that kept the superfuture fragrance thread quite active a few years ago? I think I remember your blog from back then but the layout definitely changed and i believe your username is different here on SZ.

Comment

• several_girls
                  • Nov 2010

I'm surprised. This is the first time I've read lukewarm regard for Duchaufour from a seasoned critic. I love Chypre Palatin and will likely get a full bottle. I'm not a "huge fan" either, but his CV is stacked.

Granted, I have yet to try the rest of the MDCI line beyond this and Invasion Barbare. I look forward to the possibility that I might enjoy Enlevement au Serail better than those two.

Comment

• Castor
                    • Nov 2009

Duchaufour was one of my first loves after J-C Ellena that got me into perfume. I'm not crazy about his latest work at L'Artisan, but I do like Chypre Palatin enough to consider a bottle. I buy very selectively and probably around 4 bottles per year now that I already have a significant collection, so things I splurge for must be special and unlike what I already own, regardless of price. My last mistake was Bois de Iles from Chanel--sweet nothing.

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by profondo nero
                      What do you think about M/Mink?

I love it personally, and even though I'm wearing it occasionally, people often associate me with it.
                      Recently I'm getting more and more into extravagant scents like Absolue pour le soir or les nombres d'or cuir which not everyone tend to appreciate, so..

Any recommendations on quality and unusual fragrances?
                      I just wanted to make the connection explicit, in case some of you were snoozing and missed it: the M/M behind Byredo's M/Mink EDP are the same design firm of Mathias Augustyniak and Michael Amzalag (M/M)Paris who are the subject of a recent post written by Faust in the SZ blog recently. The article is here.

To my nose, to my nose, the fragrance is strongly redolent of the soot (in its most refined case, made from Pine branches) as well as the deathly sweet and...marrow scent of the binding agent traditionally used in forming the sticks (ox hide, beef bones, fish skin or egg whites.) According to the Byredo site, the illusion of the scent is in reality created through the use of the molecule adoxal in the top note, incense in the heart and honey, patchouli and amber in the base.

I bought an entire 100 ml bottle of it, but in all honesty, it is *not* a fragrance you would want to douse yourself with since it is formidable and to some can suggest a sickly tallow note.

I just sprayed some on: having once upon a time used those ink sticks for calligraphy, the scent tends to trigger fond memories for me, but it can be overwhelming on days you aren't in the mood to smell it. That said, it is something that you ought to smell for reference if given a chance. Unique, and likely divisive.

MBD
                      "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                      It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                      My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• darkbydesign
                        • Sep 2010

I just got a bar of Aedes De Venustas soap for the rhubarb note and realized this scent is really good for me. I'm not always into Rhubrab but there's some unique peppery vibe to it as well. The spray is really nice, but I've never wanted it enough to but the giant bottle it comes in....I keep almost taking the plunge. Anyone else like or hate this one?

Chypre Palatin is great, but I haven't jumped in there because of the vanilla note. For whatever reason, any scent with even a hint of vanilla, throws off my senses....

Comment

• casem
                          • Sep 2006

Tried CDG Black today and really didn't like it. Probably my least favorite CDG fragrance I've ever tried. I guess I don't like pepper much in fragrances to begin with and that's the only interesting note in this. Starts out very peppery with some woods in the back, as it dries down it smells like a super generic woody/masculine fragrance. I actually couldn't wait to get the smell off me...

Edit: I also don't really see the point of this fragrance in terms of the CDG line. They just released Play Black which is a far more interesting pepper based fragrance.
                          Last edited by casem; 04-07-2013, 10:33 PM.
                          music

Comment

• Castor
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by darkbydesign View Post
                            I just got a bar of Aedes De Venustas soap for the rhubarb note and realized this scent is really good for me. I'm not always into Rhubrab but there's some unique peppery vibe to it as well. The spray is really nice, but I've never wanted it enough to but the giant bottle it comes in....I keep almost taking the plunge. Anyone else like or hate this one?

Chypre Palatin is great, but I haven't jumped in there because of the vanilla note. For whatever reason, any scent with even a hint of vanilla, throws off my senses....
                            I like the AdV scent opening very much but the dry down is too similar to Sycomore's smoky vetiver to warrant a buy for me.

Comment

• Dane
                              HAMMERTIME
                              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by several_girls View Post
                              I'm surprised. This is the first time I've read lukewarm regard for Duchaufour from a seasoned critic. I love Chypre Palatin and will likely get a full bottle. I'm not a "huge fan" either, but his CV is stacked.

Granted, I have yet to try the rest of the MDCI line beyond this and Invasion Barbare. I look forward to the possibility that I might enjoy Enlevement au Serail better than those two.
                              He's a genius and all...but not always my style. He did do some great things for CDG (Rhubarb, Mint), but they were generally his more simple affairs. I find when he gets a big budget, he over-complicates (Jubilation XXV...which is brilliant, but needs slimming).

Enlevement Au Serail and Promesse de l'Aube are both perfection, in the styles of Mitsouko and Diorella. Very classical, very rich, not for the "modern" perfume lover, but undeniably beautiful.

Comment

• Castor
                                • Nov 2009

Sephora's got a 15% off coming up tomorrow and I am considering a bottle of Lys Soleia, but I have to buy unsniffed, as it is only available on line. Any love for a happy sunny frag here?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎