X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RK1
    • May 2013

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
    i'm not a perfume buff but there are some real experts here in this thread. so i suggest you re-read this thread first and maybe go try some of the scents mentioned already that sound interesting to you. after that it might be easier for other members to help you.
    Thanks for your response.
    Yeah, well that is the obvious thing to do, but as I live in a place where it's only possible to get the real mainstream perfumes, I really can't smell CDG etc.
    I am aware of sites selling samples, which I'll definitely use, but I wanted to hear if anyone had any specific suggestions first.
    Edit: that being said, I think (even though from what i've read, they dont really have much in common at all) Wonderwood, 2 Man, Chanel Sycomore and YSL La Nuit de l'Homme sounds pretty interesting. And, I am aware that the latter is mainstream on the same level as my current Chanel Bleu.

Comment

• Shucks
      • Aug 2010

maybe if you explain a bit more what it is about those fragrances that you think sounds interesting, someone here (paging dane...) could give you a few more suggestions. good luck.

Comment

• Shifts
        • Jul 2013

Shucks gave good advice: There are quite a lot of good posts in this thread already. Read it.

It sounds like you are after a modern wood ("modern" here does not mean ozonic as it usually does in copywriting about fragrance). A few that could be of interest, and available pretty much everywhere, are:

Bvlgari - Black. More of a smoky vanilla than a wood, but I think it still fits the bill. Everyone who hasn't smelled this should. Not new on the market, but still manages to smell extremely contemporary.

Marc Jacobs - Bang/Bang Bang. Both a great woods, and both are from one of my favourite fragrance noses – Yann Vasnier.

Viktor & Rolf - Spicebomb. Not one for me, but I'm sure it would be great on someone else.

Dior Homme Cologne (the new one, with white pipe inside the bottle). Not sure where you live, but for summer this one is quite good. More of a citrus than a wood though. I used to adore the original Dior Homme, but it has unfortunately been reshaped into something absolutely foul.

The fragrances you mentioned that you are curious about are quality fragrances that lots of people like. Bear in mind that is absolutely no guarantee that you will like them or that they will suit you. If you have thought about ordering them online, unsniffed, I advice you not to.
        Last edited by Shifts; 08-13-2013, 09:16 AM.

Comment

• RK1
          • May 2013

Originally posted by Shifts View Post
          Shucks gave good advice: There are quite a lot of good posts in this thread already. Read it.

It sounds like you are after a modern wood ("modern" here does not mean ozonic as it usually does in copywriting about fragrance). A few that could be of interest, and available pretty much everywhere, are:

Bvlgari - Black. More of a smoky vanilla than a wood, but I think it still fits the bill. Everyone who hasn't smelled this should. Not new on the market, but still manages to smell extremely contemporary.

Marc Jacobs - Bang/Bang Bang. Both a great woods, and both are from one of my favourite fragrance noses ā€“ Yann Vasnier.

Viktor & Rolf - Spicebomb. Not one for me, but I'm sure it would be great on someone else.

Dior Homme Cologne (the new one, with white pipe inside the bottle). Not sure where you live, but for summer this one is quite good. More of a citrus than a wood though. I used to adore the original Dior Homme, but it has unfortunately been reshaped into something absolutely foul.

The fragrances you mentioned that you are curious about are quality fragrances that lots of people like. Bear in mind that is absolutely no guarantee that you will like them or that they will suit you. If you have thought about ordering them online, unsniffed, I advice you not to.
          Thanks for your response.
          I will try to see if i can get a sniff at some of the perfumes you mentioned, I believe they have most, if not all, in my "local" fragrance store. Again, thanks a lot for your suggestions.
          Regarding the perfumes I mentioned or any other I wont be able to smell in town, I'll strongly consider ordering samples of them.

Comment

• Shifts
            • Jul 2013

Samples are a great way! I strongly recommend it, both for enjoyment and for good avoidance of unnecessary, expensive buys. I have a lot of those behind meā€¦

Comment

• Shifts
              • Jul 2013

Francis Kurkdjian via Twitter on the Rick Owens fragrance, 20 minutes ago: https://twitter.com/FKurkdjian/statu...33908042813440

Comment

• plasmoplas
                • Sep 2010

MJ deoderant

Hey all,

I have a question one-step removed from perfume, which is deoderant.

For years I've used the older marc jacobs fragrance (white+black container, not the new bang version), i love it, it gets compliments, etc. etc. but it's no longer in stock pretty much anywhere.

I was wondering if people have either a secret source for getting out-of-stock items like this, or could recommend something else to use.

(if someone who would otherwise smell from the heat of the day has a magical way of going around w/o using deoderant, i'm curious to hear your tricks on that front too)

Cheers,
                Plas

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

It should go in the grooming thread. Get Malin+Goetz eucalyptus deodorant and antiperspirant - aluminum-free, leaves no stains and does the job. It's been saving me for years.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jogu
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Shifts View Post
                    Francis Kurkdjian via Twitter on the Rick Owens fragrance, 20 minutes ago: https://twitter.com/FKurkdjian/statu...33908042813440
                    !!!! when , i like some of his stuff . the only one that i liked ALOT is the one he did for guerlain , rose barbare . i can appreciate his other perfumes tho . but still im very curious to see what hes done for rick

Comment

• lost53
                      • Dec 2010

I really like APOM (my 1st choice for summer) and Noir, very interested in what he has done for Rick.

Comment

• quiet noise
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2008

The one redeeming thing from D&G

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Oh, yeah, the denizens of Brighton Beach swear buy it. That and Versace Dreamer.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shifts
                            • Jul 2013

jogu, lost53 I'm very curious as well. Kurkdjian is definitely one of my favourite noses. He can be a bit hit and miss though and comes across as a bit uninspired even within his own brand (Amyris anyone?). He seem to be a businessman more than anything (which is fine).

APOM pour Homme and Absolue pour le Soir are both huge favourites here. Also agree with jogu on Rose Barbare. I used to have a 5 ml decant of this one, but it is long gone. On my next stop in Paris, I'll make sure to revisit it. Not sure I can pull it off wearing it myself, but the fragrance is fantastic.

Don't know what to expect from a Rick Owens fragrance, but if we see some orange blossom in there, I won't be surprised. Tonka Bean as well (which seem to be a note he returns to more often lately).

Comment

• morsto
                              • Nov 2008

I'm slightly confused, I thought the composition of the fragrance was already settled, Rick talked earlier about how he had been wearing it and everyone at the office loathed it etc. So this is an additional perfume or?
                              I do not recognise the vessel,
                              but the eyes seem so familiar

Comment

• Shifts
                                • Jul 2013

I'm only guessing here, but they do many trial runs before everything is settled. Maybe it was one of thoseā€¦ And even after the team approves it, I'm sure lots of others have their say before it really gets approved.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎