X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

^ ugh...your first two paragraphs are so misinformed I can't even start to comment.
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• keilani
      • Jan 2012

Tis the season for Comme Des Garcons Wonderwood.

Comment

• Dorje
        • Oct 2013

OK Dane, please be constructive and tell me why.

It is my OPINION, and MY experience I am stating. I'm not sure how what I said could be taken as being objectively wrong?

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

synthesized aroma-chemical = 1 chemical compound
          natural ingredient = dozens, sometimes hundreds of chemical compounds

likelihood of sensitivity to synthetic aroma-chemical vs natural ingredient, therefore, less likely by large margin.

difference between aroma-chemical isolated from natural ingredient versus that not found in nature, irrelevant. no one knows why we form sensitivities to certain ingredients, so no one could ever concur that it is more likely that one would would be more likely to react to an ingredient not found in nature vs a natural isolate.

for the record, I'm fine with people having legitimate allergies...but only when they're legitimate and diagnosed. not just pulled out of thin air.
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Shucks
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Dane View Post
            I like the whole line, if you're after a classic, floral cologne. would I buy it? no. not when things like Chanel's Eau de Cologne exist.

hm.. the AdP 'oud intenza' is really different from the classic EdC, imho - yes there's some lemon in there, but apart from that... did you have a chance to try this particular one?

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

I have not, no...their whole line isn't composed of floral colognes of course, I shouldn't have generalized, they have a variety, but if you're looking at the variations of their papa-bear, I'd go for Chanel.

I guess everyone has an oud these days...like it grows on trees or something.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

synthesized aroma-chemical = 1 chemical compound
                natural ingredient = dozens, sometimes hundreds of chemical compounds

likelihood of sensitivity to synthetic aroma-chemical vs natural ingredient, therefore, less likely by large margin.

difference between aroma-chemical isolated from natural ingredient versus that not found in nature, irrelevant. no one knows why we form sensitivities to certain ingredients, so no one could ever concur that it is more likely that one would would be more likely to react to an ingredient not found in nature vs a natural isolate.

for the record, I'm fine with people having legitimate allergies...but only when they're legitimate and diagnosed. not just pulled out of thin air.
                Then how do you explain my allergy to Dolce and Gabbana?!
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  Then how do you explain my allergy to Dolce and Gabbana?!
                  my professional diagnosis of good taste.

Comment

• Dorje
                    • Oct 2013

Dane, I am well aware of what you are saying and in theory I agree, however there are so many cases of people that are sensitive to synthetics and not natural fragrances that I do believe some synthetic aroma chemicals are more likely to cause issues. Over time, I too developed sensitivities to certain synthetics, and it doesn't have anything to do with me "pulling it out of thin air". There are LOTS of people that have the same experience as I did, and many people with general chemical sensitivities can't be around synthetic based fragrances at all.

I mean, if you just google "fragrance sensitivity" maybe you'll get my point.

Fragrances were named “allergen of the year” for 2007 by the American Contact Dermatitis Society. And a 2003 study of more than 10,000 mothers and their infants in England found air fresheners, deodorants and aerosols were “significantly associated” with headaches in moms and earache, vomiting and diarrhea in their babies.

It is my view that synthetic aroma chemicals are being used in a heavy-handed manner that makes most modern (especially mainstream designer) frags seem unnatural and frankly disgusting.

And, my opinion regarding Puredistance M is just that, my opinion. I suppose I can sprinkle my posts with "IMO" in the future but that gets pedantic. It is my opinion that PdM is, by far, the finest modern frag and I am also well aware that it is also a throwback to classics (I also own vintage Bel Ami, which is similar) but with a modern twist.

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

That's it, I'm going to make it a point to quote the American Contact Dermatitis Society at least once a day from now on.

Otherwise, you, my friend, clearly didn't even read what I wrote, you just like to hear yourself talk, so I'm not going to bother discussing this with you any further.

Comment

• Dorje
                        • Oct 2013

Sounds good man, you're very condescending and disrespectful anyway.

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

One of the nicer things said to me on this forum.

Comment

• Shucks
                            • Aug 2010

I guess everyone has an oud these days...like it grows on trees or something.

zing!

Comment

• Castor
                              • Nov 2009

I splurged on Frederic Malle Portrait of a Lady after months of deliberating and sampling. I'm mad for rose perfumes lately and own Black Aoud from Montale, which I love. Portrait of a Lady is plusher and more comfortable without the rough edges of BA. Oddly enough I receive tons of compliments when wearing POAL that I did not expect. I mean, everyone says they hate rose and patchouli, but when they don't know what they are smelling they love it. There's enough benzoin to warm the whole thing up but it never gets to a cloying level and it lasts all day into the evening.

The only problem is when people ask me what I am wearing, I have to laugh at myself and say "Portrait of a Lady".
                              Originally posted by DRRRK
                              The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• darkbydesign
                                • Sep 2010

^^Best rose scent by far. Also try a spray of CdG Red Series Harissa on top of it and it's a great combination of pepper with PoaL rose. The name is based off of a Henry James novel named the same. So it's an easy story to tell when you're asked what you are wearing. :)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎