• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Castor View Post

The only problem is when people ask me what I am wearing, I have to laugh at myself and say "Portrait of a Lady".
    I LOVE the idea of naming perfumes after books, but they could have given it a better name, like "The Story of O." Do they have In Search of Lost Time? And does it smell like nostalgia and madelines?! Cause I want!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shifts
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Castor View Post
      The only problem is when people ask me what I am wearing, I have to laugh at myself and say "Portrait of a Lady".
      Haha, considering how good that fragrance is, I'd say it is def. worth that small embarrassment. Nice buy.

Comment

• Castor
        • Nov 2009

So I've been curious about Atelier Cologne and all their fragrances, particularly Vanilla Insensee. Sephora has a little mini set of bottles of Atelier Cologne: Vanilla Insensee and Orange Sanguine. Generous samples in cute bottles for $18. So far Vanilla Insensee is on the buy list. So much more than the name would suggest. Smoky, dry, elegant, masculine. No cakey bakey here. Almost a leathery suede dryness in the drydown with a floral character in the background and still kind of sheer and uplifting. Ralf Schweiger is a talented man.

Originally posted by DRRRK
        The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• Shifts
          • Jul 2013

The only one I've tried so far from Atelier Cologne is Mistral Patchouli, which really caught me by surprise. For some reason (packaging?) I haven't felt the least inclined to try any of their offerings, but when Mistral Patchouli turned out to be so awesome, all my judgemental negativity was thrown aside.

At this point I have too many cologne-like fragrances and can't say I need a new one, but when I do, Mistral Patchouli might very well be what I get.

But apparently having that good experience with it, wasn't enough for me to try the rest. At least now I feel a bit curious about Vanilla Insensee, so will go test it this week if I can.

Comment

• teenagelightning
            • May 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            I LOVE the idea of naming perfumes after books, but they could have given it a better name, like "The Story of O." Do they have In Search of Lost Time? And does it smell like nostalgia and madelines?! Cause I want!
            "mmm... that smells good, what are you wearing?"

1) "this? oh this is just THE WAY OF ALL FLESH"
            2) "that's just the smell OF HUMAN BONDAGE"
            3) "i'm wearing THE NAKED AND THE DEAD"

Comment

• magic
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              No, this! I say go for it.
              So placed an order of it as couldn't find it locally.. hopefully it works
              Focusing on object details

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
                • Nov 2008

Hey scent folk,

what do you guys suggest for travel? Is there a particularly good travel spray bottle y'all recommend?

My apologies if this has already been answered...

Comment

• endorphinz
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2009

^

Comment

• darkbydesign
                    • Sep 2010

^^Those bottles look like whip-its. :)

Just got my package with a second bottle of Heeley Verveine and some Slumberhouse-Norne. Wow, Norne is like a sweet version of pine trees and pine needles. haha It's thick and dark, green and sappy. Pretty weird fragrance but has me relatively addicted....You'll either love it or hate it and for whatever reason I love it's simplicity and it reminds me of winter on the farm in Virginia where I grew up....

Comment

• exterminatingphantom
                      • Sep 2012

Right now my favorites are Agonist Black Amber and Naomi Goodsir Boi D'Ascese

I did try CDG Blue series and liked two of the three (can't remember the names, but will most likely try them out again)

I do miss Hilde Soliani Bell'Antonio and MDCI Invasion Barbare, might have to get those again.

Comment

• Sombre
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by darkbydesign View Post
                        ^^Those bottles look like whip-its. :)

Just got my package with a second bottle of Heeley Verveine and some Slumberhouse-Norne. Wow, Norne is like a sweet version of pine trees and pine needles. haha It's thick and dark, green and sappy. Pretty weird fragrance but has me relatively addicted....You'll either love it or hate it and for whatever reason I love it's simplicity and it reminds me of winter on the farm in Virginia where I grew up....
                        I just got the Slumberhouse sample pack. I've been wanting to try Norne for a while. I haven't worn any of them yet but I got the same notes from Norne. It's not a scent I'd typically associate with perfume/cologne, but it's wonderfully layered and actually evokes the places the description describes.

Ore is also fantastic. I can easily smell cocoa and whiskey coming above a base woody scent. Again, beautifully layered. Each note is easily separable from the general scent as well. I'm going to enjoy these fragrances.
                        Last edited by Sombre; 11-23-2013, 08:05 PM.
                        An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                        I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• darkbydesign
                          • Sep 2010

^^It's so funny that you posted this. Just last night I got Ore and thus far, Norne and Ore are my favorites. I gotta admit that like 90% of what Slumberhouse produces is really great. Also, they are SUPER POTENT so a tiny spray goes for like 8 hours on most of their scents, which is nice. I also appreciate that they don't go for traditional scent combinations (hence your comment about something your normally not wear as a fragrance) so much of what they make is "different", which I like. A much lighter fragrance of theirs is Pear+Olive, which is OK, but not as much cool factor as Ore or Norne. Curious what you think of the other scents. There must be like 12 of them now, right?

Comment

• Sombre
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by darkbydesign View Post
                            ^^It's so funny that you posted this. Just last night I got Ore and thus far, Norne and Ore are my favorites. I gotta admit that like 90% of what Slumberhouse produces is really great. Also, they are SUPER POTENT so a tiny spray goes for like 8 hours on most of their scents, which is nice. I also appreciate that they don't go for traditional scent combinations (hence your comment about something your normally not wear as a fragrance) so much of what they make is "different", which I like. A much lighter fragrance of theirs is Pear+Olive, which is OK, but not as much cool factor as Ore or Norne. Curious what you think of the other scents. There must be like 12 of them now, right?
                            Yeah, 12 sounds about right. Norne, Ore, Jeke, Pear+Olive, Sova, Eki, Vikt, Grev, Rume, Flou, Sana, and Baque. The sample pack I got only included Norne, Ore, Jeke, Pear+Olive and Sova. If I like most of them after wearing (which I probably will after initial impressions) I'll try as many of the others as I can find. My initial thoughts:

Norne: forest floor and sugar. It smells like being in the woods in the spring time after a heavy shower when the growth is dense, with a bit of sweetness added (maybe concentrated sap). It's the most natural and earthy of the five. This one is great.

Jeke: a grassy vanilla scent. Almost pungent, and lighter than the woodsy scents. But very intriguing. I'm interested to see how the layers blend/separate over time. I like it.

Sova: very sweet, almost like honey, with vanilla and a very light grassy note to it. The grassy note keeps things from getting too candy-like. I really like this one.

Pear+Olive: a very light, ocean scent. I can definitely smell the pear. I agree with you though, it doesn't have the same impact as Ore or Norne. It's still interesting, but less sophisticated than the others I think.

Right now in order of preference I'd say: Ore/Norne (I like them about equally), Sova, Jeke, Pear+Olive. Of those, Pear+Olive is the only one I wouldn't buy a bottle of. Now I just need to get samples of the other 7 . Have you tried any of the others?
                            An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
                            I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• darkbydesign
                              • Sep 2010

Yeah, I like the ones you mention and would also recommend:

Baque - a tobacco based scent with some really interesting notes. Seems complex and has something fruity in there, maybe straw/hay, a touch of vanilla (not annoyingly so as I hate vanilla), and even a bit of clove I think. This and Le Labo Santal 33 are my favorite tobacco scents.

Vikt - My original favorite of this house. It's really odd to describe. I think it's probably mossy but with a hint of spices, resins, and especially some touch of leather. Not leather like the traditional type, but more like of an old book in the library. You know that smell you get when you open an old book from the library that has a leather bound backing? Paper and leather? Hmmmm..... Anyway, all that mixed into one.

Rume - It's great too. I am pretty sure the stuff is like 50% honey. haha It smells like honey from a comb and with spices and of course their standard sappy green notes. I might have to get this sometime.....

I didn't like Brev, Invisible Musk or the one that smells like fruit. I typically don't like super sweet scents though. The rest I haven't had the fortune to try, but in general this house seems so damn good, so I'm happy to get into it.

Comment

• newp
                                • Feb 2013

Could someone kindly share their experience with GOTI perfumes? I am unable to find where to order any samples of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎