• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by schuur View Post
    hey guys, i know absolutely nothing about perfumes, have never owned one before. i live in bc and i like the smells of the rainforest here, trees, moss, mushrooms, soil, loam, snow, rain, those kinds of things. i also love the smell of campfire smoke. i am looking for something linear that will last a long time and preferably isnt super expensive, would rather not go too much over 150$. im more interested in smelling than smelling nice if that makes sense... i dont really care too much whether something is "wearable". ive looked through some christopher brosius stuff, the burnt wood accord really appealed to me, the "wild hunt" and "walking in the air" as well, though it is water based which im told means it will not last as long? anyways, if anyone has any experience with those, or any other recommendations, id be super happy to hear them.
    To add to the other suggestions - Bvlgari Black if you want to spend very little. Patchouli 24 by Le Labo (doesn't smell like patchouli) is extra smokey and beautiful (by the dry oil if you want to save money). Also Comme des Garcons Man 2 has a snuffed candle-like smell.

I too would skip CB I Hate Perfume. Unless you want to literally smell like a place and not like a fragrance. 95% of his scents should be used in candles or air sprays imo.
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Bulgari black still being produced? I feel like I have asked this before.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shifts
        • Jul 2013

Faust: I'm quite sure it's still in production. It can still be found on their website (all though without extensions…).

I've never stocked up on a fragrance going out of production, but if that would happen to Black, I would do it without hesitation.

Comment

• Castor
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          Bulgari black still being produced? I feel like I have asked this before.
          Sephora still stocks it in the NYC stores.
          Originally posted by DRRRK
          The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• Dorje
            • Oct 2013

I just got Puredistance Black in, and for me it's a must have.

Black does for it's style of fragrance what M does for classic, vintage masculine chypres like Hermes Bel Ami. It definitely reminds me of La Nuit de l'Homme and others with that general vibe, but like M it ups the game to a much higher level. Also like M it is not impressive at first, it is too derivative and recognizable as something you have smelled before, the problem with that is the scent memory invoked competes with reality and it takes some time to get past that and really experience it. That is also why a lot of people do a complete 180 on M after trying it a few times, I admit I was guilt of that as well.

In any case it's well worth the $5 sample from luckyscent.

Notes are not given for this frag, but I picked up the following:

Oud, tobacco, lavender, rose, benzoin, vanilla, bergamot, lemon, plum, vetiver, patchouli, musk, cinnamon, cardamon, incense, sandalwood, and cedar

Comment

• Shucks
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
              Profumum's Fumidus smells (to me) like exactly what you want, but is probably beyond what you want to pay. Lovely scent though.

I see Dorje mentioned Profumum's Arso, but I find that one too sweet for what you seem to be looking for, with too little earthiness or green aspect to evoke a forest.

Have to say, I don't understand saving money on perfume, myself. Given half the people here spend thousands US on a pair of shoes, an extra 100 on a scent that will be with you more intimately than any jacket or shoes seems a no-brainer. And 100ml of scent, even used every day, will likely last a fair amount of time, unless you douse yourself in it like a schoolboy coating his body/clothes in cheap antiperspirant.

wearing arso right now actually. great winter scent. smokey but yeah, sweet. caramel and campfire, i guess. it is very strong though, apply sparingly.

Comment

• delicious_not
                • Dec 2012

byredo m/mink is my new obsession. totally in love with it. like a scent that i was looking for a long time, i mean somewhere on a subconscious level. btw, if someone told me it's a rick owens perfume i'm trying at the moment - i wouldn't doubt it at all. aesthetically it's pretty close i think.

Comment

• Penelope_Fashion
                  • Dec 2013

I have just presented Paco Rabanne Black XS for Him to my friend on New Year holidays. And I must admit, guys, it was the strongest mens' fragrance I've ever heard about; nonetheless, I daresay it "attracts")

Comment

• BBSLM
                    • Feb 2011

I haven't worn fragrance since high school (over a decade ago), and even then I just wore standard mall brand stuff.

I recently ordered some samples from Le Labo - Bergamote 22, Rose, 31, Vetiver 46, Labdanum 18.

I've only tried Bergamote 22, but it smells almost exactly like every garment I've ordered from a Dior Homme shop, which I like.
                    WTB
                    desperately looking for this ANN D blazer in small or xsmall
                    RICK OWENS og dunks size 42 | short-tongued geobaskets in 42 | sweats in small | basic tops in small/medium
                    STEPHAN SCHNEIDER aw11 loop cardigan | grey | size IV or V

Comment

• Scander
                      • Jul 2013

I used to worn La nuit de l'homme, Yves Saint Laurent, Blue, Chanel, Fahrenheit, Dior.
                      Now I use Black Afgano, Nasomatto.

Comment

• 8bpc
                        • May 2010

Anyone wear Jubilation XXV by Amouage? I purchased a sample, but it seems to disappear completely on my skin (nose to wrist and I smell nothing) and only catch a faint wisp of it from time to time.

Comment

• Dorje
                          • Oct 2013

That's the effect of aromachemical iso-e super... J XXV uses it pretty heavily, and is a very strong frag so even if you can't smell it others may find it very strong. The solution is to use it more sparingly and DON'T smell it close up on your wrist.

IMO... iso-e super and a few other synthetics are abused in most modern frags, and Amouage is one of the worst offenders for making a frag with great potential and amazing quality ingredients and ruining it with the heavy handed use of some nasty synthetic base.

Comment

• 8bpc
                            • May 2010

Dorje: I speculated I might be adjusting to the strength of the fragrance, but when I have experienced that in the past it was usually after a good amount of time and not from the start. I appreciate the insight on iso-e super. I used the fragrance sparingly, just a few dabs from a sample vial!

Comment

• Dane
                              HAMMERTIME
                              • Feb 2011

Where did you get the sample? Sometimes that explains a lot, especially considering the forceful strength of that particular fragrance.

If, for some reason, you want to try something without the chemical drydown of Jubilation XXV, Aedes de Venustas commissioned the same perfumer to create their namesake scent, and it's remarkably similar (some would even say better), but much more natural smelling.

Aedes de Venustas fragrance collection honors the past, present and future of perfumery. Discover the Collection Now! | Free shipment | Free samples with order! | Aedes.com
                              i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• 8bpc
                                • May 2010

Dane: The sample was from luckyscent. You are correct, perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour created both of these fragrances. Thank you for the Aedes de Venustas suggestion, I will try to get a sample soon!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎