Thread: Men's Fragrances

What do you guys usually wear in Spring/Summer? I personally prefer Carnal Flower by Malle but I've recently run out of it and wouldn't mind going for a new fragrance.

I think the BBS perfume is simply perfect for spring/summer.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I think the BBS perfume is simply perfect for spring/summer.
    Wow it's actually available on Luckyscent. I'll probably buy it blind since its BBS.

Just returned from Buenos Aires and stumbled upon the niche brand Fueguia 1833 - a lovely "laboratory" (but really just a small boutique)in Recoleta. Broad lineup of handcrafted fragrances with an emphasis on ingredients found in Patagonia. At least 50 fragrances on offer presented with glass lab beakers on top with fragrances sprayed inside.

Friendly sales staff but the language barrier was evident so I didn't gather much of the story behind the brand. Lovely fragrances however - walked away with a bottle of Misiones, which is a fresh lemony frankincense (reminds me of Spiritus Sancti by Cire Trudon). Quite a few interesting bottles - will definitely spend more time there in the future.

A 100 ml spray cost me about $110 USD (far less than the $185 they're listed for at luckyscent) so the value was pretty good. Boutiques also in Milan and Tokyo - worth a visit if you're in the neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Wow it's actually available on Luckyscent. I'll probably buy it blind since its BBS.
    I wouldn't if I were you, I'd sample it first. I was quite underwhelmed (actually extremely) and disappointed as it was nothing like I'd expected being a BBS fan. Are you specifically after another floral?

Quote Originally Posted by Law View Post
    I wouldn't if I were you, I'd sample it first. I was quite underwhelmed (actually extremely) and disappointed as it was nothing like I'd expected being a BBS fan. Are you specifically after another floral?
    In that case I'll just sample it first. I wouldn't mind something similar to Carnal Flower or Tubereuse Criminelle.

That's true. Don't expect anything hard-hitting. It's quite grassy and fresh - surprisingly, yes, but it doesn't make it bad in my opinion.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

In that case I'll just sample it first. I wouldn't mind something similar to Carnal Flower or Tubereuse Criminelle.
    Whilst nothing like the other two, the tubereuse is front and centre:

Bogue- Maai
    Histoires de parfum: Tebereuse 3 L'animale
    Robert Piguet- Fracas EDP

so i purchased the scent immediately when it came out, but its sitting in my house in the US, and its been months and I still have no idea what it smells like, so i just bought another one now through luckyscent, did not know about this thank you very much. I had a hard time finding someone who could ship internationally.

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by unwashed View Post
    Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahimsa View Post
    I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

That's true. Don't expect anything hard-hitting. It's quite grassy and fresh - surprisingly, yes, but it doesn't make it bad in my opinion.
    My roommate, Bryan, and I spent quite some time on trying to ascertain what that green note was (grass, pine, etc.). It definitely hit my upstate life memories nostalgically, but maybe it's a plant amalgamation as it always has my mind trying to figure out that scent (I know I've smelled it somewhere before in nature). My roommate wears it a lot and it's really grown on me since the initial testing. I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

(On a side note: a friend of mine wears a musky perfume that my mind correlates to the scent that is released when one rips bark off a rotting log. Thus the power of relational memory in our judgment of perfumes)

To me, the BBS scent smells a lot of Aedes de Venustas' rhubarb/tomato leaf scent mixed with their indica candle. More toward the candle than the scent, but those two are only different by the rhubarb notes in my opinion.

I agree with Law that I was expecting something super edgy and found it to be more general, though it did grow on me. I've used maybe 15 mL, but then stopped and went back to the collection of SL and FM faves that I always go to.

For Spring/Summer, I like:

FM - Magnolia
    FM - Carnal Flower (but it's sooooooooo strong)
    FM - Geranium PM
    SL - Sarrasins
    Heeley - Cardinal
    Heeley - Verbena
    Heeley - Eau Sacre
    SL - Le Myrre
    Slumberhouse - the one that smells like stawberries or gummy bears? Sadanne?

There's a new FM designer frag #2 coming out by Dominique Ropion called Superstitious and he does very floral spring/summer type stuff but I haven't smelled it and it seems potentially fairly feminine though Carnal Flower is too and it smells great.

Quote Originally Posted by darkbydesign View Post

I agree with Law that I was expecting something super edgy and found it to be more general, though it did grow on me.
    I think its interesting both of you had that kind of perspective, although I kind of understand because it was hyped up as being something that is supposed to resemble the atelier but perhaps this is what it smells like, and you guys attributed it to be something maybe hardcore metallic combined with sweat or something along those lines, due to preconceived ideas perhaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by unwashed View Post
    Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahimsa View Post
    I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

In my case, I just think the scent didn't match the brand. Not really that it's horrible or anything, but just more commercial than expected, though one could point out "it is a brand frag and not a haute frag". For the record, I'm a huge AdV fan and own every fragrance from that house, so that's more complimentary than negative, coming from me. I just didn't find the BBS frag to be as unique as the clothing he puts out. That was the contrast (not preconceived by others hyping it since I don't pay attention to that) being a big fan of the uniqueness his garments present versus the scent. Not really meant to be critical, but just unexpected from my own expectations.

Wasn't really a criticism but for me, I was definitely expecting waaaaaaaay more of a leather vibe, the glue could have been really cool, and I get more juniper?, sweet gin, rhubarb?, or even a sweet cannabis/indica vibe which isn't bad, but just off kilter from the description. Not too surprising because I never really do understand Schoen's stuff as much as I tried. Though I think EM #1 is interesting in a minimalist sorta way.

Quote Originally Posted by darkbydesign View Post
    There's a new FM designer frag #2 coming out by Dominique Ropion called Superstitious and he does very floral spring/summer type stuff
    i went to barneys saturday for brunch and headed downstairs while we waited for our table. the fm rep was like check out the new collab with alber. i read about it months before but paid no attn to it and didnt even care to smell it, but then.... i could not put the card down. i sat down in the chairs at the fred malle station and just kept the card to my nose. its aldehydes alright and its floral but for me the church like incense was a bit more dominant. 2 words i thought were "cold and austere". i didnt find it to be a big white floral type. its the most intriguing perfume ive smelled in quite a while. i didnt love it at 1st spray BUT it was so fascinating that i couldnt stop thinking about it and it very quickly became something i want and the bottle looks awesome. i could happily wear superstitious everday

when i was finally seated at freds i still had the card to my nose. i put it down and the waiter came round and said to me, "i wanted to ask whats on that card" so i let him check it out too. he was like wow which one is this? interestingly, the 2 girls at the front desk didnt like it nor did the female sa

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerDiscipline View Post
    I think its interesting both of you had that kind of perspective, although I kind of understand because it was hyped up as being something that is supposed to resemble the atelier but perhaps this is what it smells like, and you guys attributed it to be something maybe hardcore metallic combined with sweat or something along those lines, due to preconceived ideas perhaps.
    Yes, pretty much this. When I heard the fragrance was going to be based around the scent of horse leather and elements from the atelier (i.e glue), I immediately anticipated something uber niche, potent and daring, akin to Dior's Leather Oud and Comme de Garcons EDP 2011 combined.

Quote Originally Posted by jogu View Post
    i went to barneys saturday for brunch and headed downstairs while we waited for our table. the fm rep was like check out the new collab with alber. i read about it months before but paid no attn to it and didnt even care to smell it, but then.... i could not put the card down. i sat down in the chairs at the fred malle station and just kept the card to my nose. its aldehydes alright and its floral but for me the church like incense was a bit more dominant. 2 words i thought were "cold and austere". i didnt find it to be a big white floral type. its the most intriguing perfume ive smelled in quite a while. i didnt love it at 1st spray BUT it was so fascinating that i couldnt stop thinking about it and it very quickly became something i want and the bottle looks awesome. i could happily wear superstitious everday

when i was finally seated at freds i still had the card to my nose. i put it down and the waiter came round and said to me, "i wanted to ask whats on that card" so i let him check it out too. he was like wow which one is this? interestingly, the 2 girls at the front desk didnt like it nor did the female sa
    I smelled it when I interviewed Frederic, and I like it. It's intense for sure, but once it settles, it's nice. But isn't it the case with most FM scents? I find them all overwhelming off the bat and much nicer once they settle.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

I find them all overwhelming off the bat and much nicer once they settle.
    The best scents are normally like that. It's generally only designer dreck which is "top loaded".
    The equivalent of getting to the chorus within 30 seconds.

^^Agree. That's how a good frag opens and closes close to the skin for 24 hours - if you're lucky.

Carnal Flower is really the only scent on that list which is overbearing (IMO) yet it lasts for like 3 days so that's a nice side effect. It's because I believe it has like 40% tuberose so it's a potent gem and smells like you are shoving your nose in flowers and pulling out with pollen on your face. Pretty cool, in general, though some men would say better for a woman - I think just fine for all.

The best scents are normally like that. It's generally only designer dreck which is "top loaded".
    The equivalent of getting to the chorus within 30 seconds.
    I like this description! Anything good takes effort, not just on the part of the maker but on that of the end audience.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

i love how carnal flower smells but the times ive worn it i couldnt get into it. my nose gets fatigued by it after a while. i went back to barn barns yesterday and sprayed the fuck outta my sweater with superstitious again . its lying somewhere in my room and i can smell it from my desk. im still loving it. i got more of a soft peach this wearing, like a really soft undertone of it lightly smoothing that dry church incense.
    another perfume i checked out over the weekend that i liked, dior new look 1947. i was at saks goin thru each one of those giant bottles in the dior section and i really liked that one. was sweet, buttery, floral.