X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

Thank you Dane, you always deliver. I'll let you know what I think of it when I get a chance to check it out.
    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• 8bpc
      • May 2010

Originally posted by lazyguru View Post
      Anything out there that smells like metal & cigars & something sweet but yet dirty?
      While no "metal" note, have you sampled Back to Black By Kilian? That definitely connects with the sweet but dirty, in my opinion. Also look into Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d’Orange.

Comment

• mick
        • Mar 2007

For sweet / dirty I'd try Dzing! from L'Artisan Parfumeur. Part fairy floss, part animal (amongst other things).

I get a cigar vibe from French Lover (Frederic Malle)... very green. I wouldn't call it metallic though.

Comment

• Law
          • Dec 2013

I've got quite a big collection.

Puredistance- M
          MDCI- Invasion Babare
          Xerjoff- Homme
          Amouage- Epic Man
          Amouage- Jubilation XXV
          Amouage- Memoir Man
          Guerlain- Jicky EDP
          Guerlain- Derby
          Guerlain- L'instant de Guerlain Extreme
          Guerlain- Habit Rouge EDP
          Guerlain- Tonka Imperiale
          MFK- Absolue pour le soir
          MFK- Luminere Noire
          MFK- Oud
          Bond No.9- New Haarlem
          Chanel- Coromandel
          Chanel- Bois des Illes
          Chanel- Sycomore
          Chanel-Egoiste Cologne Concentree
          Chanel- Antaeus
          HdP- 1740 Marquis de Sade
          Nasomatto- Black Afgano
          Tauer- L'air de desert Marocain
          Malle- Musc Raveguer
          Dior- Leather Oud
          Dior- Homme
          Dior- Homme Intense
          Dior- Fahrenheit
          By Kilian- Back to Black
          CdG- Original EDP
          CdG- 2MAN
          CdG- Avignon
          Le Labo- Rose 31
          Le Labo- Cuir 28
          YSL- Kouros
          YSL- Opium EDP
          Pascal Morabito- Or Black
          Knize- Ten
          Creed- Green Irish Tweed
          PdF- Ambra Mediterranea
          Serge Lutens- Ambre Sultan
          Serge Lutens- Muscs Koublai Khan
          Montale- Aoud Cuir d'Arabie
          Naomi Goodsir- Bois Ascese
          Mugler- Pure Malt
          Muglar- Pure Havane
          Tom Ford- Noir de Noir
          Tom Ford- Oud Wood
          Tom Ford- Tuscan Leather
          Tom Ford- Tobacco Vanille

Comment

• darkbydesign
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Shifts View Post
            Dior Homme Intense is to me the flanker that comes the closest to the original Dior Homme (which was nothing short of a small miracle). I'm contemplating a purchase.

Purchased a bottle of Comme des Garçons Palisander. Perfumer Yann Vasnier never fails to amaze me. I've tried it many times before, but didn't test it this time. I'm kind of let down actually. It is almost too soft and too fleeting. The scent is nice enough, but it clearly needs a bit more oomph.
            ^^Yeah, the Red series is my favorite CdG series, maybe tied with the Incense series. Anyhow, Palisander is the only one I kind of don't like. It's not horrible but is so similar to some of the Incense series scents and pales in comparison. Now, Harissa and Sequoia-Those are fucking awesome! I even like the clove scent (carnation). It's basically all clove to my nose.

Comment

• Law
              • Dec 2013

Originally posted by lazyguru View Post
              I still cant wrap my nose around oud , the first smell i have really enjoyed is Montale red but only on the mrs & only after like 3 hrs

Anything out there that smells like metal & cigars & something sweet but yet dirty?
              You should try Le Labo Cuir 28 and 2nd Cumming (Extrait)

Comment

• Dorje
                • Oct 2013

I went through most of my samples of Puredistance Black and had to place an order... I got a 60 mL bottle. It's one of the best modern frags I have ever tried! In fact, this and Puredistance M will be the only full bottles I own, the rest I have sold off. I have dozens and dozens of samples and decants, which are usually enough unless I really love the frag.

Last edited by Dorje; 01-30-2014, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• Law
                  • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Dorje View Post
                  I went through most of my samples of Puredistance Black and had to place an order... I got a 60 mL bottle. It's one of the best modern frags I have ever tried! In fact, this and Puredistance M will be the only full bottles I own, the rest I have sold off. I have dozens and dozens of samples and decants, which are usually enough unless I really love the frag.
                  After PD M I was left severely underwhelmed by Black when I sampled it at Roja Doves Hidden Retreat. Despite being extrait strength, I found it a bit flaccid and nothing about it particularly screamed "black". Dry down left a lot to be desired too, to each their own I guess

Comment

• Dorje
                    • Oct 2013

It's much different than M in that it is very subtle and takes some time to reveal its self. Without thorough examination it can easily come off as derivative and uninteresting, but it is anything but. It seems a large majority of experienced noses have given it good reviews. M is like that in some ways, while it was inspired by frags like vintage Bel Ami, a lot of people say it is "just like" Bel Ami when that's very far from true. It's fine that you don't like Black and it's not for you, but it's also difficult not to appreciate the fact that it is objectively an excellent fragrance wrt quality and execution, which a lot of people seem to miss because they can't appreciate it for what it is. IMO Black is in the same league as M.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the point of your post was except to question my taste in frags.

Comment

• Law
                      • Dec 2013

It's much different than M in that it is very subtle and takes some time to reveal its self. Without thorough examination it can easily come off as derivative and uninteresting, but it is anything but. It seems a large majority of experienced noses have given it good reviews. M is like that in some ways, while it was inspired by frags like vintage Bel Ami, a lot of people say it is "just like" Bel Ami when that's very far from true. It's fine that you don't like Black and it's not for you, but it's also difficult not to appreciate the fact that it is objectively an excellent fragrance wrt quality and execution, which a lot of people seem to miss because they can't appreciate it for what it is. IMO Black is in the same league as M.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the point of your post was except to question my taste in frags.
                      You're entitled to your opinion of course, but Black is nowhere near in the same league as M. M was a lucky release in the sense that is was Roja Dove doing what he likes to do best, blatant re-interpretations of classic formulas, in this case the vintage leather prominent formulation of Bel-Ami (not the current reformulated EDT); so it's only natural it turned out the way it did, with the quality of ingredients and it's concentration strength.

On the contrary Black was slated by the majority of "experienced noses" as being a pretentious uninspired attempt at a commercial crowd pleaser.

Wasn't questioning your taste in fragrance, was simply having a differing opinion to that of yours, no need to get your panties in a bunch

Comment

• Dane
                        HAMMERTIME
                        • Feb 2011

The entire point of this thread (forum, even) is to voice opinion, so don't take things so personally. Fragrance is very subjective, and I'm sure no one cares what you spend your money on, as long as it's what you love.

Having said that, the entire PureDistance line left me underwhelmed, but they're far from terrible and one could do a lot worse.
                        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Dorje
                          • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                          The entire point of this thread (forum, even) is to voice opinion, so don't take things so personally. Fragrance is very subjective, and I'm sure no one cares what you spend your money on, as long as it's what you love.
                          It depends on how you express yourself. I was not asking for opinions, I was just stating that I had just purchased it.

Then Law comes in with his pretentious, condescending statement, which is entirely apparent because of the "to each his own" with the "cool" emoticon.

I'm not upset and certainly don't have my "panties in a bunch", which is another pretentious, condescending statement.

But whatever Law, treat people however you want, if being a pretentious ass on the internet makes you feel better, keep at it!

Comment

• Shifts
                            • Jul 2013

I agree on everything Law posted above, it reflects my views on both Black and M perfectly. Black seems like something created too fast and without good direction. It could be the opposite, but that is how I perceive it.

Comment

• jogu
                              • Jun 2009

i wasnt that impressed with puredistance either . i mean it smells nice and all but it doesnt grab my attention , same with jubilation . i like how it smells but i didnt find it to be that fantastic altho i can see how others mite swoon over that one

Comment

• Dorje
                                • Oct 2013

Puredistance is not meant to grab attention, be unique or impress anyone. It's strengths lie in subtleties that are difficult to appreciate without having a lot of experience in perfumes, and even then a lot of people don't get it.

It also seems trendy to put down Puredistance as a reaction to their prices and success. But objectively they are very good, some people miss that thinking that there are no objective elements to perfumerie...

IMO, they are head and shoulders above any other commercial house right now, nobody even comes close.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎