• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Dorje View Post
    Puredistance is not meant to grab attention, be unique or impress anyone. It's strengths lie in subtleties that are difficult to appreciate without having a lot of experience in perfumes, and even then a lot of people don't get it.

It also seems trendy to put down Puredistance as a reaction to their prices and success. But objectively they are very good, some people miss that thinking that there are no objective elements to perfumerie...

IMO, they are head and shoulders above any other commercial house right now, nobody even comes close.

No one on SZ has more experience with perfume than I do (although I'd be gladly corrected if anyone wants thinks I'm wrong), so I'm going to go ahead and pull seniority here for a second...

Puredistance scents are mediocre. They focus too much on making their concentrations strong, and completely ignore the fact that a richer perfume often hides the intricacies and nuances you'd find if they let the ingredients have some "breathing room". I know this because I've been smelling and working with perfumes for 15 years. It has nothing to do with me "not getting it". I get it perfectly fine.

As far as putting them down for the prices - why wouldn't you? If there are better examples of this genre elsewhere that don't cost $600/bottle, what idiot wouldn't explore those and then realize that the prices they charge are ridiculous for what you get in return.

Getting back to your having issue with others' opinions - don't post on a public forum if you can't handle some well-educated, honest replies. Keep up your current too-big-for-your-britches attitude and you won't be around for much longer.
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Dorje
      • Oct 2013

Dane, you were a huge prick when I first posted here and obviously you still have a beef with me.

So I'm not going to post in this thread any longer, you win.

And pulling "seniority" because you think you are more informed/experienced than anyone else on a public forum is ridiculous and laughable. You have no idea who else is posting here or how much experience they have.

But shit, you should probably just have me banned because my tolerance for condescending, pretentious, know it all douchbags is fairly low.

And your "opinion" of Puredistance is objectively wrong. You can believe what you want and have whatever opinions you want but there is an objective side to perfumerie and you just... don't... get it!
      Last edited by Dorje; 01-31-2014, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

please don't flatter yourself with the assumption that I have a beef with you...I have no clue who you are.

Maybe if you read what I wrote you would have seen that I'd happily be informed if someone here has more experience in perfume than I do, it would greatly contribute to this thread.

Having said that, there are a few posters here that clearly know their stuff, and it seems apparent that some of them have said their piece on your precious puredistance, and funny how you only seem upset because their opinion didn't match yours??

For the 3rd time, we're here to discuss a subjective subject, and everyone else seems to be able to do this with maturity, so im not sure why it's so challenging for you. If you're looking for a fight, please go back to Basenotes and duke it out there.

edit - I went back over your posts to see what you were talking about and I remember now that you were an idiot then and shouldn't have wasted my time discussing anything with you in the future. My bad.
        Last edited by Dane; 01-31-2014, 08:43 PM.
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• interest1
          • Nov 2008

. Men fighting over perfume. I love it.
          sain't

Comment

• Dorje
            • Oct 2013

Dane, I'm putting you on ignore and I suggest you do the same.

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

How would I delete your bullshit posts if I put you on ignore?

Comment

• kuugaia
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
                . Men fighting over perfume. I love it.
                Only on SZ.

And oh shit, I didn't know Dane was a mod now. I've clearly not been on here frequently enough (or is my memory just that terrible). Congrats man. Tough job!

Comment

• Law
                  • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                  No one on SZ has more experience with perfume than I do (although I'd be gladly corrected if anyone wants thinks I'm wrong)
                  I'll take you up on that

Comment

• imblurredout
                    • Apr 2013

Can anyone recommend the best shop for fumes in NYC? Hope it's ok to ask in this thread...

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

They know SZ well. Ask for Alejandro - easy to spot because he's always in RO :)
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• boodude
                        • Oct 2012

Hi guys,
                        Looking for suggestions on a tobacco frag. What is the word regarding Santa Maria Novella tobacco toscano?

Comment

• Law
                          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by boodude View Post
                          Hi guys,
                          Looking for suggestions on a tobacco frag. What is the word regarding Santa Maria Novella tobacco toscano?
                          Whilst it's a very nice fragrance, it's not aptly named, as you'll find more tobacco in its brethren Aqua di Cuba (also by SMN), which I also find the superior fragrance. If you're looking for further fragrances in the same vein, I would sample Czech & Speake Cuba, La Via del Profumo Tabac and Aramis Havana.

If you're looking for renditions of Cavanish pipe tobacco, the following are well worth sampling:

Sonoma Scent Studio- Tabac Aurea
                          Odori- Tabacco
                          Tom Ford- Tobacco Vanille
                          HdP- 1740 Marquis de Sade (more boozy leather)
                          Last edited by Law; 02-02-2014, 12:52 AM.

Comment

• boodude
                            • Oct 2012

^^ thank you. Time for a second sample order from lucky scent. Hopefully they carry most of you suggestions :)

Comment

• Dorje
                              • Oct 2013

/\ By Kilian Back to Black too.

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Law View Post
                                I'll take you up on that
                                I had a feeling!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎