X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • endorphinz
    Banned
    • Jun 2009

I bought mechant loup after reading jogu's review a while back. I really dig it but it has 0 lasting power. Any recs for something similar that lasts more than an hour?

Comment

• Law
      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by endorphinz View Post
      I bought mechant loup after reading jogu's review a while back. I really dig it but it has 0 lasting power. Any recs for something similar that lasts more than an hour?
      Whilst not entirely similar, you may enjoy better luck with the following:

Sables (shares many of the same notes and lasts for days)
      Aomassai (A vastly superior gourmand to ML)

In addition if you like fragrances with realistic animal notes (Mechant Loup means naughty wolf) you may want to try L'Ombre Fauve which means bestial shadow, which is a warm amber/patchouli combo, which has a very cool and realistic fur note, akin to ML.

Comment

• RORORO
        • May 2010

Dane, what are your thoughts on Bois 1920? Considering buying their Dolce di Giorno.

Comment

• jogu
          • Jun 2009

anyone whos bought serge decants / sample vials have them turn oily after a while ? i was goin thru some small decants of various lutens and i noticed that ALL of em look weird and disgusting now and they didnt originally . theyve seperated like oil and water and when i shake it , it comes together all gross looking but spraying it still smells fine . i mean i can actually see globs of oily looking stuff all floating inside the colored liquid . i thought maybe its cos its old and went to look at my regular non decant bottles and none are like that . the bell jars are all fine and look normal , same for the 50mls . this is making me suspect whomever i bought these decants / samples from was fuckin around with it . i bought some from perfumed court and some from ppl on ebay . some are a few yrs old
          im curious if anyone else on here who has lutens decants had this oily looking problem happen too . i dont wanna go blaming perf. court unless i have more proof

Comment

• Law
            • Dec 2013

Originally posted by jogu View Post
            anyone whos bought serge decants / sample vials have them turn oily after a while ? i was goin thru some small decants of various lutens and i noticed that ALL of em look weird and disgusting now and they didnt originally . theyve seperated like oil and water and when i shake it , it comes together all gross looking but spraying it still smells fine . i mean i can actually see globs of oily looking stuff all floating inside the colored liquid . i thought maybe its cos its old and went to look at my regular non decant bottles and none are like that . the bell jars are all fine and look normal , same for the 50mls . this is making me suspect whomever i bought these decants / samples from was fuckin around with it . i bought some from perfumed court and some from ppl on ebay . some are a few yrs old
            im curious if anyone else on here who has lutens decants had this oily looking problem happen too . i dont wanna go blaming perf. court unless i have more proof
            After a long period of time, evaporation of the alcohol content can occur, making the remains more concentrated and oily, especially within small quantities like a sample vial or a mini-decant. Even more so if the juice has been slightly contaminated from the transfer process from its original airtight bottle.

It's very common in fact and I wouldn't say that your juice has been adulterated at all, it's simply a naturally occurring phenomena as certain natural compounds of the fragrance will break down as a result over time under these circumstances, causing the cloudy sediment which you're experiencing.

Just out of curiosity which Lutens is this happening to?

Comment

• jogu
              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Law View Post
              original airtight bottle.
              well see thats one potential issue , none a the lutens bottles are air tight , they can be opened . idk if thats a factor in this case or not yet .
              heres a pic i took of some musc koublai khan

lookit how weird and seperated it is . that lil decant is ... idk exactly but its a few yrs old . i went and looked at my regular bottle of mkk i bought from barneys and it doesnt look like this . all of the lutens decants i have left have turned into these globules of oiliness . mkk , rahat loukham , santal blanc , bunch more .

t's simply a naturally occurring phenomena as certain natural compounds of the fragrance will break down as a result over time
              this sounds accurate and probably whats happened , thanks preciate the help
              Last edited by jogu; 02-09-2014, 12:56 AM.

Comment

• Shifts
                • Jul 2013

I say it is perfectly normal for old samples, I've had many hundreds of samples during the years and that happens on almost all of the ones with only a tiny bit left in them.

Like Law said, water and alcohol evaporates, making the content more concentrated. I'm sure this happens in your bell jars too, but in those you have so much more content, that the difference is not noticeable.

Comment

• imblurredout
                  • Apr 2013

Thanks for the recommendation Faust. But apparently Alejandro doesn't work there anymore.

Are there any of the designer fragrances on Gilt that one could recommend?

Comment

• Dorje
                    • Oct 2013

Why Gilt? Credit?

In that selection Terre de Hermes, Bulgari Black and Farenheit would be my choices. But go to a Macy's or Sephora and try them first!

@jogu, spray samples are sometimes not airtight and dry out as has been mentioned. You could try adding some everclear to reconstitute it but it's likely a lot of the topnotes escaped too.

Comment

• Dorje
                      • Oct 2013

I got samples of Clive Christian #1 and 1872 with my order at luckyscent, now this is some overpriced and overhyped stuff imo! Nearly $1k for a 50 mL bottle of #1 and it's nothing Givaudan couldn't mix up for a small fee. I don't think they are bad, just fairly unremarkable designer-level frags.

Puredistance seems like a great value in comparison... when used with the factory sprayer it seems to really elevate the performance of the frag. Black is much better out of the atomizer vs a dab from a sample vial while M is just different and I prefer to use a combination of one spray plus a couple dabs. These differences happen with any fragrance (spray vs dab), but with M and Black the difference is much more apparent and extreme than I've seen before. It's like Black is just a shadow of it's real self when dabbed. And as jogu experienced, sample spray vials dry out so if you transfer a sample from a dab vial to a spray vial that spray vial only has a few months before too much alcohol and other volatile notes escape so I stopped doing that.

Also got a couple Nasomatto frag samples... so far Duro is a uber-strength iso-e super, cedar oil and synthetic oud bomb. A lot like Gucci Pour Homme but 10x stronger and a little more complex.. It's actually nicely done, but nothing I would consider owning as the synthetics are obvious and it would get irritating over time. I actually like these types of frags but only once a month at the most. That sample vial could be a lifetime supply for me, the stuff is very concentrated.

Comment

• darkbydesign
                        • Sep 2010

Yeah, Nasomotto frags are super potent. I usually spray as little as possible and can smell them like 3 days later. I can't imagine anyone wearing a full dose for too long. You might pass out! haha

Comment

• Dorje
                          • Oct 2013

I think a few sprays of Duro would definitely choke you out!

I also tried Nasomatto Pardon, which is a toned down, more unisex version of Duro. It's prettier and sweeter with some florals... but Nasomatto just isn't for me, I can't take the harsh synthetics. But that goes for many modern frags...

And Vero Perfumo Onda extrait... dirty musk frag. This kind of musk is the same note used in many frags and dominates every frag it is used in, like Musk Kublai Khan and Absolou Pour Le Soir. These frags are all love/hate. I like them but the longevity is nuclear and I just wish it would go away after a while... so no go for me.

Comment

• resinous
                            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                            Premiere Figuier by L'Artisan and Philosykos by Diptyque are the still the tried-and-true figs. Heeley's fig is a good addition, but borders on roomspray material.
                            using Philosykos fig it's great!

Comment

• empaulio
                              • Mar 2009

Can anyone recommend any rose fragrances they like, in particular more heavy, heady ones

Comment

• Law
                                • Dec 2013

Originally posted by empaulio View Post
                                Can anyone recommend any rose fragrances they like, in particular more heavy, heady ones
                                Masculine roses?

Montale- Black Aoud
                                Maison Francis Kurkdjian- Lumiere Noire Pour Homme
                                Czech & Speake- No.88
                                Amouage- Tribute Attar
                                Amouage- Lyric Man
                                Creed- Windsor
                                Le Labo- Rose 31
                                Tom Ford- Noir de Noir

I'd start with these.

Although this one is a pure animalic musk scent, it does have a rich honey drizzled patchouli rose making it warm and heady: Muscs Koublai Khan.
                                Last edited by Law; 03-11-2014, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎