Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MetroBulotDodo
    • Oct 2010

I've really been into Kurkjian's various Oud concoctions, with the EDP being my favorite and my current daily (the Extrait formulations smell as if they actually include oud, based on my ownership of several bottles of exquisite Oud distilled by Ensar, though my understanding of fragrance says no.)

I've found myself favoring the painterly Ellena-style as the temperatures warm, particularly in Santal Massöia and Osmanthe Yunnan from the Hermessence line.

(Get samples, which come in generous 4 ml tubes, or buy a small bottle online. It's reasonably priced so long as you don't need to douse yourself in it daily.)

MBD
    "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
    It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
    My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• Lois Grüveltner
      • Jul 2010

Currently favourites,

Montale Paris - Black Aoud
      Montale Paris - Aoud Leather
      Comme des Garcons - Odeur 53

Comment

• RK1
        • May 2013

Portrait of a Lady

Today I wore Frederic Malle - Portrait of a Lady which I ordered as a sample together with my recently purchased Wonderwood and I got not less than three compliments throughout the day, the last one being 14 hours after I sprayed one single time.
        I am no fragrance expert but I thought that was quite impressive - it is a nice scent, although it is very different from what I have ever previously worn.

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

If someone remarks on something I've sprayed once after 14 hours, it's too strong for its own good.
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• RK1
            • May 2013

Originally posted by Dane View Post
            If someone remarks on something I've sprayed once after 14 hours, it's too strong for its own good.
            Yeah you are probably right, but the person was pretty close though.

I just wonder what it smells like at hour 1.

Either way, it's a decent scent. If you're looking for something a tad lighter in the same vein, Voleur de Roses, which inspired PoaL, is a good pick (or stick with what you've got).
            Last edited by Dane; 05-13-2014, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• eton97
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by RK1 View Post
              Today I wore Frederic Malle - Portrait of a Lady which I ordered as a sample together with my recently purchased Wonderwood and I got not less than three compliments throughout the day, the last one being 14 hours after I sprayed one single time.
              I am no fragrance expert but I thought that was quite impressive - it is a nice scent, although it is very different from what I have ever previously worn.
              Bought it for my wife for her birthday. It's a beautiful perfume and a really wonderful scent. Enjoy
              you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• eton97
                • Dec 2008

And she bought me Tom Ford 'Oud Wood' Eau de parfume....my female boss complimented me on how nice it smelt as soon as I got into the office
                ....and she never says anything nice
                Last edited by eton97; 05-18-2014, 08:03 AM.
                you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by RK1 View Post
                  Yeah you are probably right, but the person was pretty close though.

I just wonder what it smells like at hour 1.

Either way, it's a decent scent. If you're looking for something a tad lighter in the same vein, Voleur de Roses, which inspired PoaL, is a good pick (or stick with what you've got).
                  Well this is a weird glitch I've never seen before...me quoting you, switching to me editing your post?????
                  i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Illithid Dude
                    • May 2013

I'd like to get into fragrances, but I don't really know where to start. It's all very overwhelming. Does anyone have any recommendation of some good fragrances to start with?

Comment

• TheArchitect
                      • Jul 2013

Serge Lutens : gris clair
                      https://www.facebook.com/arootsorg

Comment

• resolution653
                        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Illithid Dude View Post
                        I'd like to get into fragrances, but I don't really know where to start. It's all very overwhelming. Does anyone have any recommendation of some good fragrances to start with?
                        If you live near department stores that carry niche lines, just go in and start smelling.

No stores nearby ? Buy samples online from shops like luckyscent.com or minnewyork.com

I'd start buy checking out offerings from Serge Lutens, Le labo, Comme des Garcon, Frederic Malle.

I know it seems overwhelming with all the fragrances out there from designers, niche, and independent brands, but all you can do is ust start getting your nose on whatever sounds good to you. When I first got into fragrances a few years ago, I'd look at those stores online, anything that sounded interesting I'd buy a sample. After awhile I discovered what type of scents and notes I liked and which ones I didn't.

I found my taste very similar to the blogger @ http://neroprofumo.blogspot.com/ so I often sample stuff he rates decently.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Dorje
                          • Oct 2013

/\ good post.

My tastes are pretty much opposite Alfarom (the blog above). So it is nice to recognize if you have similar taastes, because then it's a good guide to figuring out what you might like and you can order samples less blindly.

Also keep in mind your tastes WILL change, possibly quite a bit, so don't spend too much at one time.

I ended up selling 90% of my frags, turns out my tastes are fairly specific, and I had no idea when I first started.

Comment

• resolution653
                            • Nov 2013

^ Good point and advice about changing taste in fragrances and not to spend too much at once.

Also hear ya about selling frags ya lost interest in. That's why I have no problem spending the extra money every year sampling. Rather spend that, than be stuck with 50/100ml bottle of something I don't want to wear.

Lately been wearing La Fin Du Monde by Etat Libre d`Orange. I was in love with it this past winter, but since I live in the desert and we already had 100 degree weather, something about wearing it in hot weather the iris accord doesn't... how can i say... shine? like it did in the colder months. Just something weird I guess on my skin. Luckily the dry down is still to my liking but I will put it on the shelf for fall/winter.

On the flip side of that Fils De Dieu also by Etat Libre d’Orange is perfect for hot weather. The longevity and projection is somewhat weak but when its hot out it really does better on my skin. The steamed rice, coconut and lime notes are just mouth watering and refreshing.

That might be another tip, if you are on the fence about something perhaps try it again later in different weather.

Comment

• RK1
                              • May 2013

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                              Well this is a weird glitch I've never seen before...me quoting you, switching to me editing your post?????
                              Yeah that is pretty weird.. Either way, thanks for advice - I'll look for it next time I order samples!

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

I'm sure we could, collectively, come up with a list of good starter frags for someone dipping their feet in the perfume-world.

Maybe some good narrowing criteria could be (a) reasonably accessible; (b) reasonably priced; (c) non-redundant; and of course some categories would help (wood, spice, incense, floral, oriental, etc.)

Thoughts? Would this just turn into a giant fight? Probably?

edit - ima just make my own list, feel free to add your thoughts...

Spice - Noir Epices by Frederic Malle; Saffran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur; Dia Man by Amouage
                                Incense - Avignon by Comme des Garcons; Cardinal by Heeley; La Myrrhe by Serge Lutens
                                Amber - Ambra by Etro; Ambre Soie by Armani Prive; Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens
                                Leather - Cuir de Russie by Chanel; Knize Ten by Knize; Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange
                                Vetiver - Vettiveru by Comme des Garcons; Sycomore by Chanel; Vetiver by Guerlain
                                Strong Floral - Carnal Flower by Frederic Malle; Tubereuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens; Sarrasins by Serge Lutens
                                Light Floral - Le Temps d'Une Fete by Parfums de Nicolai; No. 5 Eau Premiere by Chanel; Rose by Comme des Garcons
                                Tea - Duel by Annick Goutal; Russian Caravan Tea by CB I Hate Perfume; Eau Parfumee au The Vert by Bvlgari
                                Fruity - Osmanthus by The Different Company; Rhubarb by Comme Des Garcons; Mure et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur
                                Citrus - Eau de Cologne by Chanel; Bergamote by The Different Company; Verveine D'Eugene by Heeley

As far as I'm concerned...all of these are perfectly unisex and could (should) be worn by boys and girls alike, regardless of whom they are marketed to...just in case anyone gets worried over such things.

Also - classics everyone should try at least once - Shalimar, Mistsouko, Vol de Nuit, Habit Rouge, Jicky, L'Heure Bleue, Apres l'Ondee (all Guerlain); No. 5, Bois des Iles, Pour Monsieur (Chanel), Pour Un Homme (Caron); Joy (Patou).
                                Last edited by Dane; 05-21-2014, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎