X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johnny
    • Sep 2006

Re: Men's Fragrances

I'm with nqth on this.My current rotation is Guerilla 2, Odeur 53, Harissa (fav). My only non comme brand is Dyptique - the fig one, can't remember name. I find that almost all commercial "mens" fragrances smell fundamentally the same.

Might go and try Irish Tweed today though, I like the creed ones.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]

I'm with nqth on this.My current rotation is Guerilla 2, Odeur 53, Harissa (fav). My only non comme brand is Dyptique - the fig one, can't remember name. I find that almost all commercial "mens" fragrances smell fundamentally the same.

Might go and try Irish Tweed today though, I like the creed ones.

[/quote]

Cool, would like your opinion on Himalaya as well!

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• nqth
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="casem83"]

I am very curious about the Comme des Garcon scents, but there are so many. If you had to choose can any of you recommend one or two that are must haves? Sequoia and the Guerrilla scents sound intriguing to me.

[/quote]

Sequoia is very spicy, strong, wet woody. It is like you are wearing a fresh piece of a tree on you:-) Palisander is calmer, more incensy, mahony.

Guerrillas are also strong:-) The G2 that Johnny wears is very nice, fruity, fresh, blackcurrent, mixed with sweet tuberose.

If you want sth lighter, try Odeur53. It is one of a kind scent. And I like more in winter.It keeps you feel clean, light and "awaked":-)

Comme also remade the first, Leaves series, Calamus (green fresh bamboo leaves, and sweeter later), Tea (killer, smoky,lapsang souchong) and Lily (green wet lily of the valey).

Johnny, I think the Diptique is Philosykos (I don;t know this)L'Artisan also has a nice figy Premier Figuier. Fig is nice and refreshing:-)

Comment

• xcoldricex
          • Sep 2006

i liked palisander a lot- i should look for that. the only bottle i've ever used all the way through was a bottle of yohji (that's the only thing i brought on a year long trip).
          i'm surprised you didn't mention man or 2? man is more of a conventional fragrance, very strong, peppery and "manly". wasn't a fan of odeur53, in fact i might have a small bottle to sell (will definitely help you feel more "awake")

i'm still looking for something that's mysterious and quirky (but not copy toner quirky), something that'll match my personality and wardrobe.

oh which cdg fragrance had tomato notes in it?

Comment

• droogist
            • Sep 2006

[:O] I'm surprised to hear that so many of you guys wear Odeur 53, because I've always thought of it as more of a women's scent (I wear it too).

My husband wears Hermès Eau d'Orange Vert, KL by Karl Lagerfeld, and Lagerfeld by Karl Lagerfeld. Think what will about the Kaiser - the man knows how to commision a fragrance.

Comment

• mogwai
              • Oct 2006

First post!

1.CreedGreen Irish Tweed

2. Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur

3. Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan

4. Bulgari pour Homme

5. Gendarme - For summer daytime wear. Fresh and clean.

Comment

• nqth
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="xcoldricex"]

oh which cdg fragrance had tomato notes in it?
                [/quote]

I think it's Harissa. If you like tomato leaves (green, very fresh), try Sisley Eau Campagne. It's super, but very fleeting.

Comment

• JBull
                  • Sep 2006

I have only two in my current rotation, Creed Orange Spice for every day, and Bulgari Black. I am sticked to them for a couple of years now.

Comment

• djrajio
                    • Sep 2006

I was walking in Daikanyama today and went into Eliminator thinking I'd check out the Kim Jones line, instead I took a sample of Guerilla 2 and fell in love with it. Bought a bottle right there on the spot. Nice unisex fragrance.

Comment

• rach2jlc
                      • Sep 2006

I picked up a bottle of Vivienne Westwood Anglomania yesterday. Wow! What an odd scent, but interesting. When I smelled it, I immediately thought, "Yep, that smells like what I'd imagine a Vivienne Westwood scent to smell like." It's very hard to describe, but definitely has unisex notes in it (don't be dissuaded by the fact that it is marketed for women. How can scent be gendered except for marketing?) Anyway, I definitely won't be wearing this one everyday, but for certain occasions, it's pretty interesting.

Comment

• xcoldricex
                        • Sep 2006

gendarme i sanother one that i remember liking but never got around to getting.

bought a bottle of mechant loup yesterday [:$] - how's the guerilla line? i haven't smelled anything from that line.

Comment

• rach2jlc
                          • Sep 2006

What do you think of Mechant Loup? It takes a few days to get accustomed to, but I think you'll really come to like it (if you don't already).

Comment

• xcoldricex
                            • Sep 2006

i had a large decant of it awhile back and i remember liking it and receiving many compliments on it... so hopefully i still like it. (i don't remember if i liked a lot dzing! or if it was just ok, but i liked voleur even though i'm not sure how much wear that would get so maybe i'd just get a large decant of it. don't think i was a fan of navegar, mure et musc (extreme?) was ok maybe a bit to powdery... don't remember if i tried passage d'enfer or not)

Comment

• Servo2000
                              • Oct 2006

I've had CDG's 2 MAN, or MAN 2, and I was rather fond of it. I'm looking to pick up a new CDG scent, which one do you guys think would work well for Southern California? I'd prefer to avoid anything too odd, but something a little unusual would be nice. Also, if anyone knows anywhere in LA where they might have samples, etc... I'd appreciate any information.

edit: I mention souther california just to give you a context. I think location, lifestyle, etc... have just as much to do with clothing as it does with fragrances. Carry on.
                              WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• casem
                                • Sep 2006

I hope this isn't too off topic, but isn't it kind of sick the way fashion mags endlessly promote the new fragrances of the season? If I read one more flowery description of how great the new Prada men's fragrance is I'm going to be sick. It's nice and clean, but way too soapy for me. But I keep reading how it's so intelligent just like Miuccia, same goes for V&R. And it's always the same new "hot" fragrances in every magazine. Really, they shouldn't waste 10 pages of models wearing nothing but a fragrance, what's the point?
                                music

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎