• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Men's Fragrances

[quote user="Servo2000"]I've had CDG's 2 MAN, or MAN 2, and I was rather fond of it. I'm looking to pick up a new CDG scent, which one do you guys think would work well for Southern California? I'd prefer to avoid anything too odd, but something a little unusual would be nice. Also, if anyone knows anywhere in LA where they might have samples, etc... I'd appreciate any information.

edit: I mention souther california just to give you a context. I think location, lifestyle, etc... have just as much to do with clothing as it does with fragrances. Carry on.

[/quote]

Give Odeur 53 a spin. Sephora has the more populare CDG fragrances, and they usually have or can make you sample.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• nqth
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="casem83"]I hope this isn't too off topic, but isn't it kind of sick the way fashion mags endlessly promote the new fragrances of the season? If I read one more flowery description of how great the new Prada men's fragrance is I'm going to be sick. It's nice and clean, but way too soapy for me. But I keep reading how it's so intelligent just like Miuccia, same goes for V&R. And it's always the same new "hot" fragrances in every magazine. Really, they shouldn't waste 10 pages of models wearing nothing but a fragrance, what's the point?[/quote]

Ditto:-)

Prada Homme is nothing to write home about. And I think it has quite a popular note right now, which I smelled out of V&R, Style JS (for women), and Hermes EdM.I think itcould be a "supernova synthetic amber", which smells sweet, mineral, clean, instead ofthe usual very sensual and "dirty" one.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="casem83"]I hope this isn't too off topic, but isn't it kind of sick the way fashion mags endlessly promote the new fragrances of the season? If I read one more flowery description of how great the new Prada men's fragrance is I'm going to be sick. It's nice and clean, but way too soapy for me. But I keep reading how it's so intelligent just like Miuccia, same goes for V&R. And it's always the same new "hot" fragrances in every magazine. Really, they shouldn't waste 10 pages of models wearing nothing but a fragrance, what's the point?[/quote]

You READ magazines?! [:O][:P]

Yes, I agree, magazines have went from criticism (were they ever critical? probably not, but they might have had at least an iota of integrity, no?), or even impartial display of clothes, to unabashed advertising catalogues. Ever notice how there is ALWAYS something feautured in an editorial from a payind advertiser (sometimes even on the page across from the paid ad).

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rach2jlc
          • Sep 2006

I agree. It is really aggravating to see how many of the big magazines (GQ, et al.) spread fashion advice as though it is impartial, but you absolutely KNOW it is advertising based. For example, they often tout Hugo Boss items (not just suits but shoes, fragrancesand accessories) and recommend them, but they are perhaps the lowest quality, most overpriced designer items in the world.And their colognes are the most bland, boring, common detergent-esque scents anywhere. Though the retail price of a Boss might be around $1000 or so, it's really about a $300 suit with $700 of additional branding. Nevertheless, whenever they have "ten suits to own" or "how to get the right pinstripe suit," inevitably there will be a Boss in there somewhere (the others will be Armani, Z Zegna, and Prada).

That's just one example, but when you see how many Hugo Boss glossy ads are in those mags, you perhaps see why they would be hesitant to tell their readers that they can get better quality at lower prices from about a thousand other brands.

Prada is another example. IN the past few years, their shoes and items have REALLY gone downhill in terms of quality. And, yet, how many $560 Prada dress shoes are recommended endlessly, along with the cologne?

Comment

• threerepute
            • Sep 2006

Comment

• implicit
              • Sep 2006

i mostly wear:

:

(my gf is obsessed with it and i'm not going to argue)

i just recently got:

but i haven't really worn it much yet.

Comment

• interman
                • Dec 2006

I haven't been collecting for too long, but I'm slowly adding "must have" after "must have". I got a bottle of Chanel Egoiste for Christmas, and I'm looking forward to wearing it when going out. My biggest problem is that I'm getting quickly bored of frags, so I'm thinking about ordering a truckload of decants from badgerandblade.com's webshop, along with some Creed and L'Artisan bottles (no stores carry them in Norway), which should be fun.

My daily go-to frags these days are L'Instant de Guerlain (Extreme), Dior Homme, and now Egoiste too.

I tried the Prada one day just before running out to catch my bus. A few minutes later I realized it was a big mistake, and spent the breaks between lectures trying to wash it off. In fact, most of the new frags I've tried recently have been boring and useless. Still, once in a while good ones do show up.

Comment

• deuxmille
                  • Nov 2006

I've been traumatized in my youth by people wearing to much perfume so I've never explored that world. I feel like I should start now, but I have one (possibly silly) questions : how do you apply your perfume to make sure it's not too out there?

I'd also be interested by how you choose your frangrances...

Comment

• interman
                    • Dec 2006

I typically apply one spray to each of the wrists, two to the chest, and one to the neck (for the sillage effect). Obviously you have to adjust according to the strength of the fragrence, and you could possibly leave out the neck spray if you're too worried.

When choosing a fragrence you first have to consider the occasions you'll be using it. If you're starting from scratch you'll probably want one for daily use, which basically means one that's not too heavy. Next you have to consider the weather. Fall / winter means you can get away with using heavier fragrences than during the summer, when more sitrus-type ones are used. After finding the one you'll use daily you'll probably want one for going out, one for dates, and so on. Eventually you stumble across kind of strange ones that you just find interesting, and have to have because you don't have anything like it. After doing that a few times you might have a few frags from the same house. At that point you might figure, well I could just buy a few more and I'll have all the ones worth getting and I'll be "done" with Chanel, or Dior, or whatever.

Fortunately you can get good deals at basenotes.com and badgerandblade.com. I try not to buy too many at retail cost, but it happens if I'm in the right mood. Oh, and when buying your first be sure to ask for a variety of samples, so you can judge it beyond the initial impression that you get at the store.

Comment

• Sean_S
                      • Dec 2006

Hello All,

Fellow SF Transplant...here's my first post !

My Old Stand by is Vera Wang for Men and occasionally Emporio Armani White

Comment

• goethe
                        • Oct 2006

mogwai - yikes i wear musc ravageur frequently and im a girl! i guess its more unisex.

i also like nior epices by michel roudnistka

and i will always stick by 10CC... i guess its feminine but i know of men who wear it as well!

i guess since im not into very floral-y scents i end up gravitating towards more masculine fragrances.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Reposting here - I just bought Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta. It's an amazing smell, mature but not boring, very unique, just a little citrusy and spicy. A real classic in my book.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
                            • Dec 2006

My favorite right now;

and just ordered some samples of these;

Comme Des Garcons makes some of my favorite scents so I wanted to try some others they make.
                            I also like to wear Marc Jacobs for men in the summer time, very fresh smell and the ladies seem to like it.
                            "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• thelion1856
                              • Dec 2006

Viktor ^ Rolf Antidote

Comment

• Jshockmtl
                                • Oct 2006

Right now, i have been using Dior Bois D'Argent, Eau Blanche and Creed Silver Mountain Water.

During the summer i use Marc Jacobs man mostly and Acqua Di Parma

I just ordered yesterday a bunch of samples from www.luckyscent.com (a few Cdg that i dont have and some Profumum)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎