Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shucks
    • Aug 2010

^ i know it's available now. i meant i think it was out of production for a bit and then brought back, but i could be wrong...

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
      ^ i know it's available now. i meant i think it was out of production for a bit and then brought back, but i could be wrong...
      Ah, sorry...misunderstood. It's strange how sometimes they pull things off the shelves...and then suddenly they reappear. Happens with fragrance often...I guess with trends and demand.
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• klangspiel
        • Apr 2007

my favourite right now is the different company's de bachmakov.
        extremely unique concoction with an amazing woody-musky drydown.
        definitely one for the long haul.
        perfumer is céline ellena (she's incredible).
        notes include: bergamot, shiso leaves, nutmeg, cedar, chalk, freesia, craie douce (heh).

form lucky scent:

In a tribute to his Russian ancestry and to celebrate the year of Russia in France, the Different Company’s co-founder (with Jean-Claude Ellena) and renowned designer Thierry de Baschmakoff joined forces with the perfumer Céline Ellena to compose the fragrance which bears his name. De Bachmakov is not a literal evocation of Russia, but a poetic fugue on the magical moment when snow begins to melt on the steppes and the earth gives way to the rites of spring; on the first rays of sun to touch the Siberian forests swept by winds from Asia.

The fragrance is as limpid and bracing as a shot of ice-cold vodka: along with peppery, aromatic bergamot, the lemony, anise-tinged shiso leaves and tangy, zesty cilantro lend their green, aldehydic fizziness to the blend, sweetened by a sprinkle of nutmeg. Freesia and its tender, white floral notes add a jasmine richness to the heart: as the fragrance evolves, its limpidity gives way to a surprising chalk accord produced by a blend of woody notes and musk.

De Bachmakov is sap and snow and the first spring flowers: a cool herbal potion brewed near the Arctic Circle. It is also the very gifted Céline Ellena’s last composition for The Different Company: all the more reason to snap up this gorgeous and truly unique fragrance.

Comment

• Staton Viguier
          • Jan 2008

^ looking forward to trying de bachmakov

L'homme Sage by Yann Vasnier for Divine will be getting some heavy use this winter. Incredibly dry, deep and ultra spicy, with unexpected notes of mandarin, lychee and saffron.

another recent favourite is Al Oudh by Duchafour for L'Artisan.
          not a true oudh scent by any means, but something else entirely

"Cumin and roses sweetened with a bite of candied dates conjure Oriental delicacies between wisps of incense before the medicinal notes of saffron and oud rise to the fore. From then on, a soft but unmistakably natural oud takes center stage, veering towards leather before sinking in the inkiness of castoreum; civet adds a whiff of the beast to the brew. " - luckyscent.com

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Klangspiel, you don't understand how funny this one sounds to a Russian speaker.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
              HAMMERTIME
              • Feb 2011

^^ I'm curious.

It's the last name of the owner of the company btw.
              i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• klangspiel
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                Klangspiel, you don't understand how funny this one sounds to a Russian speaker.
                which part? the siberian forests, ice-cold vodka, or the impressionistic "cool / coldness" of mother russia? :)
                ya take yer cringes, cliches, and rhetorical whims with fragrance reviews.
                comes with the territory and part of the fun, really.

take nothing away from ellena's latest creation. it's bloody amazing.

Originally posted by Staton Viguier View Post
                L'homme Sage by Yann Vasnier for Divine
                great call on this one. top stuff.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

no doubt - i was simply amused, not annoyed :-)

not sure how to put it in words, just the banality of the last name "bashmakov" (should be "sh", not "ch"), juxtaposed with the high end pretense (especially "de" part, which denotes French nobility), magnified by the sense of cultural history and Russian "identity," (the mix of national insecurity and inadequacy, the blind reverence for all things French enshrined by Peter the Great, etc. etc.) It's more than I can fit into a post.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
                    HAMMERTIME
                    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    no doubt - i was simply amused, not annoyed :-)

not sure how to put it in words, just the banality of the last name "bashmakov" (should be "sh", not "ch"), juxtaposed with the high end pretense (especially "de" part, which denotes French nobility), magnified by the sense of cultural history and Russian "identity," (the mix of national insecurity and inadequacy, the blind reverence for all things French enshrined by Peter the Great, etc. etc.) It's more than I can fit into a post.
                    Smells good though.

I just bought this huge thing:

Apparently TDC has a new scent coming out shortly called Pure Virgin (or something like that)...musk no doubt.

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                      • Jan 2010

from A Blog Curated By article: "Demeulemeester does not feel comfortable making grandiose plans. She would like to do a perfume, if she finds the right partner. 'I need to do it my way, because I am not interested in just making anything with my name on it,' she says. 'You know those perfume commercials where it’s always the same girl running to the same tree – I don’t want that.'"
                      I'm waiting and hoping this becomes a reality.
                      THE HOUSE OF DIS
                      embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• Jan 2011

Finally got hold of the Tokyo exclusive Le Labo fragrance. I think it's my favorite Le Labo yet. Strong close to the skin, but not a huge amount of sillage.

Comment

• casem
                          • Sep 2006

Tried Wonderwood yesterday. It's the kinda fragrance I love the day after on my clothes, but man is it pungent for a long time after applied. I would be afraid of stinking up a room if I didn't have ample time to let it settle before going somewhere.
                          music

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

/\ agreed.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
                              HAMMERTIME
                              • Feb 2011

You dont find it virtually the same as 10 other CDG dry, woody, incense thingies?

Comment

• jogu
                                • Jun 2009

i bought de bachmakov as soon as it became available here before i sampled it cos i love most of the other tdc frags . kinda regretted it sorta , it does smell rly fuckin good but for me its only the intial and early stages that i love . most of the descriptions i later read are pretty accurate , gin , green herbs , somethin zesty also , and it is " cold " like the 1st whiffs of it almost make my nose feel cold . after a few more mins and more smelling i almost get a hint of OFF , that bug spray which actually works in remindin me of the imagery this is supposed to evoke . once that beginnin stage starts to fade all i rly get outta this is a brite orange with all that greenness now hiding behind it . its not bad at all at this stage but its not fantastic either . i get bored of that orangeyness and have to respray to get that initial feelin again which makes me think of tall trees and sporadic patches of snow on moist earth and that sorta zing of takin a stem and crushin it and then smellin it

im curious tho for anyone else who has this , do u get that orangeyness in the drydown also ?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎