• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hamletpowpowpow
    • Nov 2008

I'm seasonal. Right now it's:

Fall - Comme Des Garcons -Hinoki
    Winter - Comme Des Garcons - Odeur 54 (used to be "in the Library" by CB)
    Spring - Comme Des Garcons - Laurel
    Summer - Gendarme V / Gendarme

Clearly, I like clean or woodsy scents.

I really, really tried with CB I hate perfume - but it's just too weak. The scents are amazing, I just wish they weren't water based. They smell great sprayed on jackets or shirts though. They still don't last that long though...

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

^^ they all come in "absolute" form as well.
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Dane View Post
        You dont find it virtually the same as 10 other CDG dry, woody, incense thingies?
        I suppose, now that you put it that way :-) I actually like CDG White, which is not woody at all. From the woody ones I like Sequoia best. But I don't like any of them enough to actually buy. They are nice, but there are many nicer options.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          I suppose, now that you put it that way :-) I actually like CDG White, which is not woody at all. From the woody ones I like Sequoia best. But I don't like any of them enough to actually buy. They are nice, but there are many nicer options.
          White is one of my favs too...still like 2 the best. I wish they would go back to being the creative force that they once were. Wishful thinking I guess.
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Shucks
            • Aug 2010

i don't wear fragrance often, but wear white on occasion. but the strong spicy clove note in it makes everybody here say i smell like xmas... not really a bad thing i guess...?

(cloves are used for some traditional holiday season foods here, but not much otherwise...)

Comment

• Pumpfish
              • Sep 2010

I use a clean vetiver on top of Creed's Bois Du Portugal.

Actually looking for a new vetiver for this purpose. Any recommendations?
              spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Pumpfish View Post
                I use a clean vetiver on top of Creed's Bois Du Portugal.

Actually looking for a new vetiver for this purpose. Any recommendations?
                Guerlain's Vetiver...maybe Comme des Garcons' Vettiveru.

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                  i don't wear fragrance often, but wear white on occasion. but the strong spicy clove note in it makes everybody here say i smell like xmas... not really a bad thing i guess...?

(cloves are used for some traditional holiday season foods here, but not much otherwise...)
                  It is very clove-y...notsomuch as the original CDG, but White is clearly based on the original, with some floral touches.

(cloves are used for the same purpose over here...most thing of xmas...or the dentist where it's used as a numbing agent/disinfectant)

Comment

• Shucks
                    • Aug 2010

just got some helmut lang cuirion delivered. lovely lovely. brought me back like a time machine. will be careful not to waste it...

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

don't be too careful - perfumes do have expiration dates.
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                        just got some helmut lang cuirion delivered. lovely lovely. brought me back like a time machine. will be careful not to waste it...
                        I love leather based scents, but I struggle with them. Scents without an alcohol base (essences?), are revealing and honest from the start. I can not, however, figure out what is happening with a leather scent with an alcohol base for at least 30 minutes. Is there a good workaround for this? It's frustrating when picking a new perfume, or smelling a variety, to be unable to really consider the leather scents.

I know I tied a spray of Hermes Bel Ami to a bag I was carrying at a perfume event last year, and finally figured out why it is one of the great leather scents. But, at first, it was this sweet, thin, boring thing. Then, once the alcohol fell off, it becomes a rich, lovely, deep joy.
                        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

don't be too careful - perfumes do have expiration dates.
                          No they don't...that's just something they tell you so you'll buy more. With proper storage, they can be kept indefinitely. I have some from the 40's that are still perfect.

Don't fall for their games...they're evil!!

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

/\ yeah?! good to know. i do have my yohji yamamoto cologne that I bought in 99 or so - still chugging.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
                              • Jan 2008

/\ yeah?! good to know. i do have my yohji yamamoto cologne that I bought in 99 or so - still chugging.
                              If you kept it out of the light (or it has an opaque bottle), and avoided dramatic temperature changes, it should be fine. I've some scents lying around from decades back that are fine, and some year old scents that got cooked and are ruined already.
                              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Shucks
                                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                                I love leather based scents, but I struggle with them. Scents without an alcohol base (essences?), are revealing and honest from the start. I can not, however, figure out what is happening with a leather scent with an alcohol base for at least 30 minutes. Is there a good workaround for this? It's frustrating when picking a new perfume, or smelling a variety, to be unable to really consider the leather scents.

I know I tied a spray of Hermes Bel Ami to a bag I was carrying at a perfume event last year, and finally figured out why it is one of the great leather scents. But, at first, it was this sweet, thin, boring thing. Then, once the alcohol fell off, it becomes a rich, lovely, deep joy.
                                don't have a good answer for you. but try the basenotes forum if you aren't already on it. it's sz for people who like to smell...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎