• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
    If you kept it out of the light (or it has an opaque bottle), and avoided dramatic temperature changes, it should be fine. I've some scents lying around from decades back that are fine, and some year old scents that got cooked and are ruined already.
    If you want some leather recommendations, I've got plenty!

With any fragrance though, it's never advisable to smell & buy. Always spray some on the back of your hand and wear it for the day...you can always go back. Also, spraying on paper prolongs the topnotes, so avoid that.

Anyway, leather:

-Knize Ten (classic leather-amber)
    -Chanel Cuir de Russie (pricey...floral leather...best you can buy)
    -Dior Leather Oud (also pricey)
    -Estee Lauder Azuree (citrus leather...very reasonably priced)
    -Etat Libre d'Orange Rien (raunchy leather)
    -Etat Libre Tom of Finland (powdery leather)
    -Helmut Lang Cuiron (if you can find it)
    -Histoire de Parfums 1740 (plum leather)

...I have lots more...don't want to overload. :)
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Shucks
      • Aug 2010

then there's that stetson one that people claim is similar to cuiron, iirc...

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
        then there's that stetson one that people claim is similar to cuiron, iirc...
        Seriously?
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Originally posted by Faust View Post
          /\ yeah?! good to know. i do have my yohji yamamoto cologne that I bought in 99 or so - still chugging.
          just be sure you keep them in a cool dark and dry place.

Comment

• Shucks
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Dane View Post
            Seriously?

ya, this one. haven't tried it though - can't get past the brand.

obviously no marc atlan involved in this packaging...

Comment

• jogu
              • Jun 2009

u mite like " duro " from nasomatto . get a sample of it 1st , shit is potent

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
                ya, this one. haven't tried it though - can't get past the brand.

obviously no marc atlan involved in this packaging...
                Considering it's supposed to epitomize "manliness", it frankly smells like an old lady. It's a classic floral-amber. It's nice for the price...but she ain't no leather. (to me anyway)

Comment

• mononon
                  • Sep 2009

sorry if it's been posted before, but anyone have experience with JPG Le Male? Just got a bottle online b/c of recommendation from a friend.
                  calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• theetruscan
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by mononon View Post
                    sorry if it's been posted before, but anyone have experience with JPG Le Male? Just got a bottle online b/c of recommendation from a friend.
                    Pleasant vanilla heavy scent. Not much going on though. Far better than the rest of that line, but I never finished my bottle. I haven't gone back and smelled it since maybe 2002.

EDIT: Ugh, just went back and smelled this. It does not stand the test of time. Very much a scent for a kid at a club.It is vanilla driven, but it's so sweet it's cloying. It will return to my cabinet.
                    Last edited by theetruscan; 03-18-2011, 03:46 PM.
                    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• mononon
                      • Sep 2009

cool! thanks.

what is a good scent that is quite versatile, e.g. going out for drinks at night yet still appropriate if working in a formal setting? so i kind of professional yet sexy scent?

been using the traditional, generic, and boring brit for ages cause my ex gf literally bought my bottles!
                      calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• Dane
                        HAMMERTIME
                        • Feb 2011

cool! thanks.

what is a good scent that is quite versatile, e.g. going out for drinks at night yet still appropriate if working in a formal setting? so i kind of professional yet sexy scent?

been using the traditional, generic, and boring brit for ages cause my ex gf literally bought my bottles!
                        If you like vanilla, Bvlgari Black is easily accessible and inexpensive.

Comment

• theetruscan
                          • Jan 2008

For something vaguely reminiscent of JPG Le Male, but roughly infinity times better, try Hommage from Memoire Liquide.

Try Dzing or Safran Troublant, from Artisan.

For more professional, but still fun enough to wear out, try Mechant Loup from same, Midnight Oud from Juliette Has a Gun, Tabac Blond from Caron.

For professional, but really very nice, try Serge Lutens Cedre.

For something to wear out to an old-fashioned club, or something a bit playful, but very masculine, try Cuir Millisime from Memoire Liquide.

Many, many other good suggestion in this thread.
                          Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• mononon
                            • Sep 2009

well, i bought Le male on a whim, never even experienced it, so by no means is that a benchmark. also, are most of these readily available, i am no scent whiz, so i prefer something that most department stores / online stock, while at the same time not the most generic thing out there. thanks for the tips, you've been super helpful!

Comment

• theetruscan
                              • Jan 2008

Caron is widely available. Serge Lutens and Artisan Parfumeur are relatively widely available.

Memoire Liquide and Julliette Has a Gun are less widely available, but not impossible to find.

Really, your best is to go through somewhere like Lucky Scent, order a slew of samples http://www.luckyscent.com/samples.asp and find what you like. Scent is so individual, and so emotive, that picking one blind is super unlikely to work out. Samples will also let you figure out what you actually like.

If you order a collection of samples, I'd add in a few CDG scents, and pick some random things from suggestions in this thread. Shipping is the largest part of the expense.

Comment

• i think i finally decided on my next perfume. Messe de minuit by Etro. Nothing like a little catholicism to pull me back

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎