• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by cowsareforeating View Post
    ^anal glands of civet traditionally right?
    Yes...I was trying to spare some of the gory detail. ;)

They cut the gland from the cat...it looks like a weird, furry ball that contains a paste that the cat uses to attract sexual mates. It smells incredibly feral and fecal, yet when in dilution, can have an almost floral quality. It was used to great affect in things like Guerlain's Jicky and, more recently, TDC's Rose Poivree and, as mentioned, MKK. I have a small bottle at home and it has to be triple sealed so as to not upset the dog.
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Dane
      HAMMERTIME
      • Feb 2011

^ a coffee bean is still one ingredient though, regardless of how many compounds create it. Unless one has quite the knowledge of science, a coffee bean can only be manipulated so much. A perfume composition, on the other hand, is just that...a combination of aromatic molecules manipulated by the artist. Each ingredient they include contains multiple components, making the task that much harder.
      i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• aussy
        • Jul 2011

rliu's response inspired me to look up other animal sourced perfume ingredients
        hyraceum wtf, only knew of musk and ambergis before
        wonder how these scents were discovered and then came to be desired

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

^ it actually smells kinda nice.

The popular ones (in the past) have been castoreum (beaver gland), musk, ambergris (whale puke), civet, and beeswax/honey.

Lately they've been synthesizing lots of strange things - bacon, fish, caviar, hair, etc.

Comment

• endersgame
            • Aug 2009

any thoughts on escentric molecule 01?
            took a whiff and it felt so right..

Comment

• t-bone
              • Dec 2009

Since we're talking about these animal scents I'll quote this MBD post that has been haunting my dreams lately. Since I started messing with doing my own extractions and buying oils from the Attar shop nearby, I've been obsessing over buying some extracts and the animal kit from this place. I've been told that the actual extracts are illegal for perfumers to use, not sure about the legality of selling them individually, maybe Italy doesn't care.

Originally posted by MetroBulotDodo View Post
              A "nose" and genuine eccentric. A rare perfumer, one of a handful who use only natural ingredients, he is a French convert to Sufiism who goes by the nom-de-perfume "Abdes SalaamAttar."

Read about this fascinating man here. If you are thusly inspired, you can also buy a beginners perfume kit with tinctures of the animal scents that make up traditional perfumery: honey beeswax, ambergris, castoreum, civet, and hyraceum.

MBD

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                We've probably discussed this before...it's one molecule called Iso E Super. A bottle would cost you $5 and you could dilute it to make 100 bottles. Waste. Of. Money.

If you favor the ingredient, check out:

1. Encre Noir by Lalique
                2. Poivre Samarcande by Hermes
                3. Declaration by Cartier
                4. Anything by Ormonde Jayne

Originally posted by t-bone View Post
                Since we're talking about these animal scents I'll quote this MBD post that has been haunting my dreams lately. Since I started messing with doing my own extractions and buying oils from the Attar shop nearby, I've been obsessing over buying some extracts and the animal kit from this place. I've been told that the actual extracts are illegal for perfumers to use, not sure about the legality of selling them individually, maybe Italy doesn't care.
                Be cautious of what you buy...it's often not the real thing. Apparently this guy's are:

I profumi naturali, per la natura stessa dei materiali che li compongono, sono dei veri gioielli olfattivi.

...but I can't vouch for it personally.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                  • May 2008

I use it only on my hair. Lots of aldehydes afaik and a good story around it. An old acquaintance of mine actually created the brand.

I like it but I don't think it's that we'll respected among proper perfumers. Correct me Dane.

Edit: never mind. You were faster. And precise.
                  Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Dane
                    HAMMERTIME
                    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
                    I use it only on my hair. Lots of aldehydes afaik and a good story around it. An old acquaintance of mine actually created the brand.

I like it but I don't think it's that we'll respected among proper perfumers. Correct me Dane.

Edit: never mind. You were faster. And precise.
                    Molecule 01 only has Iso E Super. Escentric 01 has 65%, plus a few other ingredients...they also have a few other scents focusing on other solo and almost-solo ingredients (confusing naming).

And correct, not much appreciation for the brand in the perfume community...at least from me.

Comment

• endersgame
                      • Aug 2009

thanks for the tip on Iso E Super. i knew it had just one molecule, but if i had to buy it raw, what do i cut it with and how much do i cut?

never mixed scents before so apologize for the noob q's.

Comment

• Dane
                        HAMMERTIME
                        • Feb 2011

thanks for the tip on Iso E Super. i knew it had just one molecule, but if i had to buy it raw, what do i cut it with and how much do i cut?

never mixed scents before so apologize for the noob q's.
                        You can buy here:

You'd mix it with:

You'd mix it at 10%, so whatever amount of IES you buy will create 10 times as much end-product.

You'd literally add IES to the alcohol, stir, let mature for a few weeks, then spray.

Disclaimer - I don't know for a fact that Molecule 01 only contains the one ingredient, but it sure does smell like it. I also don't know at which percentage they dilute. Molecules like this also create nose-fatigue, meaning you smell one minute, then nothing the next, then it comes back. Also, don't smell it at 100% concentration, this could in essence (ha!) be dangerous.

Comment

• t-bone
                          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                          Be cautious of what you buy...it's often not the real thing. Apparently this guy's are:

I profumi naturali, per la natura stessa dei materiali che li compongono, sono dei veri gioielli olfattivi.

...but I can't vouch for it personally.
                          Yeah thats the same guy linked in MBD's post that I was talking about. He seems like a real nutjob, in the best possible way.

Comment

• Dane
                            HAMMERTIME
                            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by t-bone View Post
                            Yeah thats the same guy linked in MBD's post that I was talking about. He seems like a real nutjob, in the best possible way.
                            He very much is (apparently...I've not met him...but they again, I'm a bit of a nut job too...), but also very trustworthy as far as what he's selling.

Comment

• thehouseofdis
                              • Jan 2010

I've just about gone through my bottle of Ulrich Lang's Nightscape and while I like it and have received compliments on it, I may try something new. The only other scent I've liked enough to use up a whole bottle was CdG "Dry Clean", though I've liked and worn a lot of the CdG scents over the years (Palisander, 3, original, Shiso, Odeur 53).

I'm thinking something smokey and leather that's not too masculine. Anyone have recommendations?
                              THE HOUSE OF DIS
                              embrace the twenty first movement

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

^^ Le Labo Patchouli 24.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎