X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

My only issue with it is that it doesn't smell like amber. Also, it doesn't smell good.

If you want a proper amber, Maitre Parfumeur makes the best.
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• hamletpowpowpow
      • Nov 2008

D'oh, they don't have any of the scents I want decants of… :( I'm after some newer/rarer stuff…perfumed court has two, at least.

Originally posted by Dane View Post

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by hamletpowpowpow View Post
        D'oh, they don't have any of the scents I want decants of… :( I'm after some newer/rarer stuff…perfumed court has two, at least.
        What are you looking for?
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

^ straight up licorice.

Comment

• Ivans On High
            Banned
            • Oct 2008

I went to the Profumum store in Rome looking for a gift for my dad, who I can always remember wearing really classic fragrances. With that in mind I was quite drawn to Antico Caruso.

I passed buying it for some reason but am still considering it. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I've actually found myself liking similar scents also. I did actually pick up a bottle of CdG Wonderwood with the intention of giving it away as a gift, but think I might keep it... Up until now I've only been wearing CdG 2 Man and even '2', and really like them also. So any suggestions for myself would be great also.

Comment

• casem
              • Sep 2006

Is there anyone here who has owned CDG Wonderwood for a bit? I've sprayed it on myself a few times at a store and everytime I smell the jacket I was wearing at the time I get addicted to it making me want to buy it. My only reservation is that is seems VERY strong at first, but the day after smell on clothes is divine. I was wondering if those who have it have gotten sick of it quickly?
              music

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by copacetic View Post
                Yeah, I'll give you that much: it's simple. It's interesting that the SZ aesthetic for clothes tends toward minimalism, but for fragrance, we advocate for the baroque and (after testing out dzing based on recommendations here) what I would call rococo.

I'm curious what a more complex version of the amber pour homme "formula" would be: powdery and soapy, but not so run-of-the-mill.
                Wow, if Dzing! is Rococo, then the amber fragrances I'd recommend, like Profumum's "Amber Aurea", Parfum d'Empire's "Ambre Russe" or Serge Lutens' "Amber Sultan" would be some Louis XVIth shit.

I hardly think of Dzing! as Rococo - for that, you should try some Caleche by Hermes or Arpège by Lanvin (good stuff, btw). Does this mean that anything "overwrought" is anything that isn't "clean", which I assume is what you mean by minimal? That makes little sense to me - if you think about it, the smell we associate with "clean" is something that has been corporately constructed.

There is nothing inherently "clean" about the way detergent smells that follows its dictionary definition. If anything, I find what Madison Avenue considers "clean" to be a bit heavy, and allergy inducing to boot.

MBD
                Last edited by MetroBulotDodo; 01-08-2012, 08:02 PM. Reason: gramm-arrrrgh
                "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

^ agreed in all accounts.

Comment

• morsto
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
                    Is there anyone here who has owned CDG Wonderwood for a bit? I've sprayed it on myself a few times at a store and everytime I smell the jacket I was wearing at the time I get addicted to it making me want to buy it. My only reservation is that is seems VERY strong at first, but the day after smell on clothes is divine. I was wondering if those who have it have gotten sick of it quickly?
                    I currently own it, as well as the cdg perfume in the gold bottle (whose name escapes me) and the wonderwood is very strong at first as you describe, but quickly fades to be quite mild. I haven't grown tired of it and use it often for every day use, while I use the ones such as the gold bottled one, which is quite spicy and curious smelling, for going out etc.
                    I do not recognise the vessel,
                    but the eyes seem so familiar

Comment

• comedyzen
                      • May 2009

Been looking for a perfume with Michelia Alba as the main ingredient. The only thing I found was essence oil, but I wouldnt know what to do with that. The M. Alba is a plant that is popular in China that has a very fragrant white flower.

Comment

• copacetic
                        • Nov 2010

MBD,

you're right in a lot of ways, and you catch me on two faults: a lack of familiarity with fragrances generally, and a certain terminological laziness.

you, however, assume that i mean baroque and rococo pejoratively, when i do not.

despite the laziness of my first comment, i think i can clean myself up and make a better point. i find it interesting that, for instance, on this forum, members by-and-large stick to a color palate of blacks, grays, and non-saturated earth tones. far from being boring, it strikes me as a sort of purity... it's also very urban and cosmopolitan. they are clothes meant to be worn in cities... they are of and about urban--and often cosmopolitan--life.

and so SZ users have a very particular way of thinking about clothing. yet, i find SZ to be quite open when it comes to fragrance. big florals, oud, exotic spices. they're widely embraced. i haven't seen any strict ideology pop up here, besides that fact that the perfumer should be a serious about her craft and that the perfume shouldn't be boring.

dane's really been setting the tone lately with his even-handed connoisseurship, and i think it's left a good influence on how SZ'ers approach fragrance.

does anyone here think there is some dissonance if someone decked out in rick owens would want to smell like a mossy, humid forest? i don't really think there is, but i can imagine what the objections would sound like. SZ, as a taste-maker, seems to be sending the message that the vision of a designer can be divorced from the tone a fragrance sets.
                        Last edited by copacetic; 01-09-2012, 02:11 AM. Reason: typos
                        And "When the prince has gathered about him
                        "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by comedyzen View Post
                          Been looking for a perfume with Michelia Alba as the main ingredient. The only thing I found was essence oil, but I wouldnt know what to do with that. The M. Alba is a plant that is popular in China that has a very fragrant white flower.
                          I'm not familiar with this flower...a quick look on google references "champak"...would these be similar to champaca?

Comment

• Dane
                            HAMMERTIME
                            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by copacetic View Post
                            MBD,

you're right in a lot of ways, and you catch me on two faults: a lack of familiarity with fragrances generally, and a certain terminological laziness.

you, however, assume that i mean baroque and rococo pejoratively, when i do not.

despite the laziness of my first comment, i think i can clean myself up and make a better point. i find it interesting that, for instance, on this forum, members by-and-large stick to a color palate of blacks, grays, and non-saturated earth tones. far from being boring, it strikes me as a sort of purity... it's also very urban and cosmopolitan. they are clothes meant to be worn in cities... they are of and about urban--and often cosmopolitan--life.

and so SZ users have a very particular way of thinking about clothing. yet, i find SZ to be quite open when it comes to fragrance. big florals, oud, exotic spices. they're widely embraced. i haven't seen any strict ideology pop up here, besides that fact that the perfumer should be a serious about her craft and that the perfume shouldn't be boring.

dane's really been setting the tone lately with his even-handed connoisseurship, and i think it's left a good influence on how SZ'ers approach fragrance.

does anyone here think there is some dissonance if someone decked out in rick owens would want to smell like a mossy, humid forest? i don't really think there is, but i can imagine what the objections would sound like. SZ, as a taste-maker, seems to be sending the message that the vision of a designer can be divorced from the tone a fragrance sets.
                            I agree with the general opinion that many SZers would want their scent to match their aesthetic - ie. dark. I did disagree (and agree with MBD) regarding Dzing smelling rococo...I find it a fairly modern, simplistic even, fragrance. Just my opinion though.

Scent is a very personal experience though, and it's very difficult to gauge what is complex and what is simple without a lot of experience, and even then opinion can come into play. As MBD described though, smelling Dzing after smelling something like Amouage Gold may leave a different impression.

ps - I appreciate the compliment, very kind of you. :)

Comment

• endersgame
                              • Aug 2009

escentric molecules, escentric 01

this has been my daily but i've been told by women i'm putting too much on. (i do two pumps at the most)

i don't get this from guys and when I smell myself, i never feel it's strength. must be a guy thing. this scent is amazing by the way. must be the iso e super..

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                                escentric molecules, escentric 01

this has been my daily but i've been told by women i'm putting too much on. (i do two pumps at the most)

i don't get this from guys and when I smell myself, i never feel it's strength. must be a guy thing. this scent is amazing by the way. must be the iso e super..
                                guys don't often comment on the way another guy smells.

fyi - a few pages back I gave a little recipe on how to make this stuff yourself for little $....if you're ever wanting to cut some corners.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎