• Mar 2008

Re: Men's Fragrances

cdg 888 seems very good for summer and lasts long
    but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• jay
      • Mar 2008

Can cdg 888 be ordered online? Thanks in advance for the help.

Comment

• Casius
        • Dec 2006

[quote user="jay"]Can cdg 888 be ordered online? Thanks in advance for the help.[/quote]

Yup. www.luckyscent.com has 888 and the new monocle. I've ordered through them before too and they are great.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• jay
          • Mar 2008

[quote user="Casius"]

[quote user="jay"]Can cdg 888 be ordered online? Thanks in advance for the help.[/quote]

Yup. www.luckyscent.com has 888 and the new monocle. I've ordered through them before too and they are great.

[/quote]

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Comment

• jay
            • Mar 2008

Just ordered the CDG 888. I cannot wait to get it...

Comment

• jj.still
              • Dec 2006

redacted [79]

Comment

• jj.still
                • Dec 2006

[quote user="pipcleo"]try frederic malle - the best smell designers in the world concocted these brews and the best of the best is Jean Claude-Ellena (he deserves these capitals) .

bigarade concentree +angeliques sous la pluie

the finest two scents know to mankind

[/quote]

+1

What do you think aboutFrench Lover that is quite similar to Angeliques?

I'm fan of citrous scents and my "citrous top" is

Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle - Bigarade Concentree,

Ormonde Jayne - Isfarkand,

The Different Company - Bergamote

Comment

• jj.still
                  • Dec 2006

I need an advice from someone who has dealed with CB.

perfume absolute VS water perfume

what are the pros and cons of both of them?

Comment

• pbt
                    • Jan 2007

[quote user="drexl"]

[quote user="Faust"]bummer. well, let me know next time they have a sale!
                    [/quote]

Blackbird has a 20% off + free shipping deal for Superfuture members BTW [Y]

[/quote]

DREXL: have you ordered fragrances before from Blackbird? If so, what was the duty like?

Comment

• drexl
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="pbt"][quote user="drexl"]

[quote user="Faust"]bummer. well, let me know next time they have a sale!
                      [/quote]

Blackbird has a 20% off + free shipping deal for Superfuture members BTW [Y]

[/quote]

DREXL: have you ordered fragrances before from Blackbird? If so, what was the duty like?

[/quote]

Nope, never ordered fragrances, only a Geller shirt last fall. No duties, you can ask them to ship with lower declared value. [Y]

Comment

• pbt
                        • Jan 2007

Thanks DREXL, great to know!

Comment

• random
                          • Dec 2007

CdG 888 smells really good. however, i crushed a bottle of cdg 2 recently and got the smell all over the place. better keep away from cdg for a while. so, anyone had experience w/ this?

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...5227&section=5

ionce tried L'eau D'ambre but have noidea of this.

I don't exist.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Not sure if you've seen it. Aedes de Venustas review in NYT. Arguably this is the best fragrance store in New York City. Although, to be honest, I never feel comfortable in temples, so I don't feel comfortable in that store. The packaging cannot be beat though - best place for a present.

April 3, 2008

Critical Shopper | Aedes de Venustas

Secrets From the Temple of Scent

AEDES DE VENUSTAS, the
                            quirky fragrance shop on Christopher Street at the corner of Gay
                            Street, is just a few doors down from the site of the historic riots in
                            1969 that marked the first battle for gay rights. When you walk by on
                            the sunlit sidewalk, 40 proud years of midnight camaraderie and spilled
                            drinks spring to life.

The ?temple of beauty? is precocious for having been born in 1995;
                            it appears to have aged into an old European patina. The window looks
                            incense-buttered like the storefronts of old fortune tellers, a display
                            ready to be inhabited by a Caravaggio
                            youth or a Joel Peter Witkin corpse. It?s such a visual feast of dusky
                            Renaissance colors you can practically taste the linseed oil and dusty
                            grapes; fat mauve roses just beginning to wilt; dried pomegranates; and
                            stuffed white pigeons with glass eyes.

Gold-dipped reliquary trinkets are crowded artfully on heavy damask
                            around treasures that the stores owners, Karl Bradl and Robert
                            Gerstner, have archaeologically prized out of the Old World. There are
                            gem-cut bottles of some of the oldest and hardest-to-find European
                            perfumes: Santa Maria Novella (the 400-year-old line originated by
                            Florentine monks, whose Acqua di Colonia was created for the wedding of
                            Catherine de Medici); Acqua di Parma, developed in 1916, beloved of
                            1950s movie stars; and other antique rarities of a luxe and scented
                            variety.

Inside, Aedes is all papal sumptuousness: velvety, claret-colored
                            curtains and carpeting set off branches of cherry blossoms just turning
                            papery; bottles of amber oils under glass bells; cloudy crystal
                            chandeliers; an impressive feat of white peacock taxidermy. A
                            remarkably unified assortment of Second French Empire vitrines, inlaid
                            wood with gold flourishes, have been ingeniously repurposed as
                            armoires, retrofitted with glass shelves and subtle backlighting to
                            make the perfume bottles even more bewitching.

Hey, the Italianate apothecary of Napoleon III, right off of Sixth Avenue! Whodathunkit?

?I want you to try this ? yellow roses,? one of the owners said,
                            spritzing a white cardboard stick next to a woman with a deep tan and a
                            Day-Glo yellow parka. I sidled over to eavesdrop (nosedrop?).

?Isn?t it wonderful when you finally find your scent?? the woman asked me.

?Yes! It practically takes half a lifetime of research and development.?

?Then you have it for a while, and 10 years later, you want a change.?

I wondered what perfume the owner would have recommended to her if she had been wearing a plaid coat.

Aedes is a great go-to source for opulent little quelque choses,
                            perfect for the rich associate you are afraid to buy anything for.

I liked a carved wooden ball full of amber resin ($145). It looked
                            like something Gauguin would have on his coffee table to compliment the
                            nude Tahitian.

The ancestral tea company Mariage Frères has begun an expansion into
                            home décor with Darjeeling, Lapsang Souchong and other pleasantly
                            tea-flavored candles for $68, ideal for those who can?t bear the scent
                            of real tea.

Aedes collaborated with Molinard to resurrect an old classic: Une
                            Histoire de Chypre (pronounced SHEE-pr; not cheap). It?s heady and
                            complex: an exorbitant fusion of bergamot, mandarin, iris, neroli,
                            jasmine, Bulgarian rose, patchouli, oak moss, musk and amber, packaged
                            in a black box with gold lettering and a Lalique bottle with a black
                            spray-bulb.

The owner seemed to object to my description of it as pleasantly
                            ?after-shavey.? I understood his reaction a bit better after reading
                            the ?olfactory ode? to Chypre on the Aedes Web site: her aromatic
                            corset unlaced ?the demure tendrils of her timeless spirit.? (Chypre,
                            the French word for Cyprus, is not an ancient goddess, but it might be
                            a hot new octopus.)

?I love woods and mosses,? I told a sales assistant. ?Anything else turns into Love?s Baby Soft on my skin.?

She nodded. ?Baby powder, you know, smells like this,? she said, sticking a heliotrope-scented candle under my nose. Eau bébé.

We explored the monstrance devoted to the fragrances of Serge
                            Lutens. Diam Blond was described to me as ?suede-y.? Indeed: like
                            huffing a saddlebag full of star anise.

The Cedre had a mouthwashy top note. ?Pepsin!? said my sales assistant. Dead-on. Bazooka Joe trapped in a sauna.

Most interesting was Escentric Molecules, a German fragrance in a Bauhaus-y bottle.

?The designer, Geza Schoen, feels he has replicated the human pheromone. It actually has no scent at all!?

She assured me that the lack of liquid in the bottle was due to the
                            popularity of the tester and not that this fragranceless fragrance is a
                            complete test of faith.

Neighborhood ladies swanned in and out with their cellphones and
                            Rhodesian Ridgebacks, grabbing Diptyque candles, but mostly popping in
                            to discuss Carla Bruni?s
                            new Jackie O. Sarkozy look and inquire about a birthday gala that I
                            divined was being held in honor of an owner?s dog: a motionless blot of
                            white fur in a black armchair.

?Oh, I thought she was more taxidermy!? I blurted artlessly.

?No, she?s very much alive,? said the gentleman in a chilled tone.

Scent, that most powerful of mnemonics, is a sensitive and personal business.

I bought incense ? packets of Esteban?s woodsy Pin (pine) and Cedre
                            and ($27) to transform my apartment into a roaring log cabin.

I once read that the French believe a woman isn?t truly beautiful
                            until she is touched by decay. Societies older than ours, decorated by
                            the detritus of collapsed empires, have a deeper appreciation for
                            entropy and its wisdom, fungi and ferment. Soft cheese, mushrooms,
                            wines, older women and little luxuries ? purified essences that evoke
                            sensations of the past ? make the certainty of mortality just so much
                            sexier. Add dried pomegranates and taxidermy, and you?ve got a little
                            slice of heaven.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

I love the final paragraph :)

BTW, while perusing this thread it came to mind that years ago I read about some Ultra Limited Helmut Lang cologne/perfume that had to be special ordered, came in some baller box, crystal bottle etc. etc.... wasn't even mentioned in the stores as being for sale. I think only the sadly gone HL flagship in SoHo was the only place that could even get it for you.

Does anyone else remember this little bugger?

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• xcoldricex
                                • Sep 2006

not a crystal bottle, but the musk, velvonia?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎