X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

I answer every question in this thread...sorry.

Anyway, I would have assumed the same as you...they appear to be great quality, and they smell great in the shop, but I've never actually bought one.

...I would bring it back and complain.
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• jogu
      • Jun 2009

im rly tempted to bring it back but somehow i doubt theyll take it . i dont even need the $ back id just get somethin else from a different line . im gonna go in later tonite and buy what i originally wanted , one of the frederic malle sprays . wihle im there ill bring up my shit experience w/ the cire trudon and ask if theyd take it back in exchange for somethin else . just cant believe how shitty it is i hope napoleons candles werent this bunk when he used them

Comment

• Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011

no, I would totally ask for your money back. they're selling something that has expectations that weren't met.

I can't get down with the Malle room sprays...they're literally in windex bottles. for that $$$, I want a real bottle. Unless you're talking about the oil-system, which is kinda cool, but still overpriced.

Keeping in mind that roomsprays are basically just perfume that's concentrated a bit more (sometimes), I just use perfumes that I like but don't dig wearing for a full day.

Check out L'Artisan's candles while you're there...they're quite nice, good quality, etc.
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Next time buy Mad et Len
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by jogu View Post
            im rly tempted to bring it back but somehow i doubt theyll take it . i dont even need the $ back id just get somethin else from a different line . im gonna go in later tonite and buy what i originally wanted , one of the frederic malle sprays . wihle im there ill bring up my shit experience w/ the cire trudon and ask if theyd take it back in exchange for somethin else . just cant believe how shitty it is i hope napoleons candles werent this bunk when he used them
            Dude - it's your own fault that you bought something because you were inspired by the "jesus imagery." There are few marketing ploys I can think of that could be worse.

For the record, I *know* my candles and I've been using Cire Trudon since 2007? And I frickin' love "Spiritus Sancti." I just blast some Messiaen organ pieces and light up the Spiritus Sancti, and I'm on writing *fire.*

No disrespect, but you also have the most unpredictable fragrance loves. You're the only person whose fragrance tastes I can't predict. You also have to admit that you tend to like non-projecting frags - if that's what appeals to you, of course you're going to end up with "Nazareth."

Speaking of projection, what did you think of PoaL?

Sorry I flaked on Sat. I'm drowning in deadlines, but let's go. I bet you I could convince them to let you exchange it for something better, even if it's used. (Balmoral is also good.)

MBD
            "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
            It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
            My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by PoubelleMaBelle View Post
              looking for baby's first fragrance

something morbid & animalistic yet not overpowering.

so far there's mbd's good word with opus v but any others would be much appreciated. & if it makes a difference i'm in ny for now and can visit barney's...
              Wait - you're going to spray perfume on your baby?

In any case, I still love Opus V, and now there's OPUS VI, an ambery, dirty fragrance that I also love. Would not say good for babies, though. With regard to Amouage, Jubilation XXV (Duchafour) is fantastic.

I saw something about the SL bell jars being available at Barneys NY, NYC. IS THIS TRUE?

If the bell jars are there, try Lutens El Attarine rather than MKK. I always felt El Attarine was the more beautiful of the animalic, "skanky" (is that the best descriptor that the perfume industry could come up with?) scents available.

I am suspicious of the over-the-top pretentiousness of the JAR line, but has any one smelled any at Bergdorfs?

MBD
              "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
              It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
              My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• Dane
                HAMMERTIME
                • Feb 2011

^ I've heard the same rumour. Ditto for Bergdorfs.

Have you tried Une Voix Noire yet? It's the best gardenia I've ever smelled (aside from the real thing). Tom Ford has been bumped from the top. Speaking of JAR tho, their Jardenia (seriously) is quite beautiful. all of their line is impressive, but unaffordable for most (me included).

Comment

• TheThief
                  • Mar 2011

I'm also a big fan of Cire Trudon, never had a problem with one not doing its job making the place smell nice. However if you really want a candle with serious projection go get yourself one of the Diptyqe 5 wicks.

Comment

• jogu
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                    Keeping in mind that roomsprays are basically just perfume that's concentrated a bit more (sometimes), I just use perfumes that I like but don't dig wearing for a full day.

Check out L'Artisan's candles while you're there...they're quite nice, good quality, etc.
                    ohhhh i like this idea ! i never thought of doin that am gonna try it . will give me more use out of stuff i bought but dont use anymore . i love artisan candles too theyre one of the brands that i kno will be good , shit even their tiny votives can fill up 2 rooms . thx for the suggestions from everyone

mbd ya lets go , i didnt make it sat either . i went on like monday or tues , the girls down there were like the event was so so , busy but not hardcore busy . far as cire trudon , neverrrrrrrrrrr again for me lol . i believe u guys who rly like the trudons u got but after googling a bunch of reviews im def not the only one who found the throw to be weak as all hale

i wore portrait of a lady for 2 nites and im still debatin if i love it or just like it . u kno what i love tho , une fleur de cassie . the fred malle girl gave me a carded samp of it and from 1st spray i was like yesssssssssss , id like to find someone who wants split for a bottle of it or even just the 3 vial travel spray box . im not keen on musks and im only startin to like florals but somethin bout this one drives me crazy in a real good way
                    Last edited by jogu; 09-27-2012, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• Dane
                      HAMMERTIME
                      • Feb 2011

une fleur de cassie is in my top ten...which says a lot when you're me.

Comment

• jogu
                        • Jun 2009

man i love fleur de cassie already , rite from the very 1st spray i was like ohh fuck , i couldnt stop thinkin bout it and kept wantin to smell it . it smells kinda strange but for me its enormously pleasing and beautiful. ill be totally honest one of the things i think of when tryin to describe it is like clean underwear worn for a day . kinda like when u can tell someones only worn em for a couple hours cos when ur pullin em off they still smell fresh but also vaguely dirty in a natural mild musk way . its kind of an airy floral but the flower petals are soft and smooth and smell rich and not heavy , its sweet but not sugary at all, its a tiny bit musky almost like rotting flowers . im obsessed with it

Comment

• Dane
                          HAMMERTIME
                          • Feb 2011

it's a beautifully crafted and well thought-out scent. if neurotic and analytical like me, you'll notice the following:

Facet 1 - it has a huge almond/heliotrope note, which is actually the cassie you're smelling in combination with mimosa (both in the same family), both of which have a strong almond-quality. it also has a prominent apricot topnote. peach/apricot pits are used to make Amaretto, which I always thought was made using almonds, but is in fact made using apricot pits, so the combo is a good match. the powdery effect is achieved additionally with a violet note (methyl ionone).

Facet 2 - the floral elements are interesting in the sense that absolutes (as opposed to the standard extraction-oils) are used heavily, which gives the perfume great depth, but lacks any obvious floral element. if you smell most absolutes in isolation, they're very dense and rarely smell of the actual flower from which they were obtained.

Facet 3 - the spices add an interesting element to the musky/animalic notes, namely cumin and clove. these play on the indolic facets of the jasmine and create a interesting play between clean & dirty. Carnation (eugenol) is another natural addition which gives a slightly peppery quality. You can't have body-stink without a slightly sharp note, and aldehydes (which would generally smell of soap) help achieve this ironically.

Facet 4 - cedar and sandalwood can both have "dusty" quality to them, which plays nicely against the powdery mimosa/violet notes, while also adding a base complexity with subtle vanilla note.

So in conclusion, all of the components really create an old book. Paper (vanilla notes), leather binding (floral absolutes), mildew (cumin), and dust (mimosa/violet).

If you'd like to explore the theme more, Kenzo Flower (especially the Winter Flowers flanker), Caron's Royal Bain (formerly Champagne), and Malle's other dust-storm, L'Eau d'Hiver are a good start.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Yesterday I stopped by MiN on Crosby St in NYC. Officially my new perfumery. Forget Aedes, boys and girls. This place is awesome. Feel kinda dumb actually that I've walked by this place literally a thousand times and never walked in.

And the bonus is one of their salespeople, Alejandro, is a RO fiend, a member of SZ and a long lost Fashion Spot refugee whom I remember very well from the olden days!

Tried and very much liked Amouage Memoir. Yum.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• TheThief
                              • Mar 2011

Man..I too have just cruised right past this place without even noticing

I'm not sure why none of these independent perfumeries have picked up Profumum, their stuff blows a lot of these brands out of the water.

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by TheThief View Post
                                I'm not sure why none of these independent perfumeries have picked up Profumum, their stuff blows a lot of these brands out of the water.
                                If this is how you feel, you need to smell more of the competition. I mean that in the nicest way.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎