• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

And again
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Shifts
      • Jul 2013

First I removed the colour. I've never noticed, but it is something often pointed out to me by friends and co-workers. Different shades of grey feel colourful to me and the monochrome scale is endless. My jeans and tshirts went from jeans and tshirt to twisted pants and twisted tshirt. And the occasional suit.

Comment

• Pumpfish
        • Sep 2010

The motivation has always been the same, look a little better, look a little special, but the brands and designers have changed over the years.

Docs, when they defined being a "boot boy". Slightly transgressive for an 11 year old. 8 hole. Oxblood.

Levi's with buttons.

Paul Smith, big shoulders, three button, square cut. When everyone else was double breasted.

Nicole Farhi for casual. She was good back then. Especially for Summer.

A really fucking cool rubberised cotton jacket from Diesel, with asymmetric pattern down one sleeve.

Calugi e Gianelli black with barbed wire motif, polo neck. That was special.

Then along came Prada. I stopped a guy in an airport wearing a black polyester anorak and a new love was born. The jacket, not the guy...

After Prada came Neil Barrett (well naturally, as he designed the Prada line), and a major love affair with Jil Sander through all the changes, OG, MV, RS, back to the OG (old gal) herself. Still have and wear most of this.

Got to confess to Bottega Veneta. Maier was riveting for a few collections, but the thrill, like with Jil, is gone.

I should also declare a dalliance with tailored suits in the meantime. Never fucking fitted. My fault. I'm a shapeshifter (and occasional cake shifter).

Next up, the dark years. MMM was my gateway drug.....

//..
        spinning glue back into horses. . .

Comment

• Bson
          • May 2013

^^ Pumpish you are hilarious hahaha, I was cracking up. I hope you do something with writing for a living

Comment

• k3mist
            • Apr 2013

this thread is hilarious. ill find some pics soon but heres a literary account.

my parents made me dress up americana while growing up :P
            i had it all, the hat, plaid shirt, blue jeans. it was horrible

then i decided to be like the cool kids and went with the baggy pants, basketball jersey and baseball caps. which was a really weird part of my life, being indian and in a school in long beach, cali.

so it went on to the super tight clothes. I had turquoise skinny jeans, and it was a regular in my wardrobe. I still cannot believe i actually had em.

I was introduced to fashion rather subliminally by my mom who was a tailor. never really taught me anything about it but i was around when she sew and had customers doing fittings in the home.

college came on and hey we gotta do preppy chic in college right?
            around my sophomore year is when i started losing color..lost my grades along with it.

and 4 years later, here i am :p

Comment

• Castor
              • Nov 2009

Crazy about fashion since my earliest memories.

Early 80s was Preppy Handbook literal realness and the discovery of designer jeans (Jordache/Calvin Klein anyone?). The mid-late 80s were a colorful melange of Benetton, Ton Sur Ton, Guess and Girbaud. I was around for the very first stone washed jeans (for better or worse).

Early 90s in NYC was East Village thermal shirts, levis, engineer boots and Gaultier Junior for the clubs.

Then sex and money sleazed its way in the mid 90s with Tom Ford for Gucci, DSquared2, even some Dolce. I was young and trying way too hard to be sexy.

The late 90s ushered in minimalism where I regularly worshiped at the altar of Helmut Lang and Prada. A touch of Jil and Raf here and there.

Got a little bored with minimalism and went into a Margiela, Dries Van Noten, CDG sort of intellectual phase in the early 2000s.

Then I found Carpe Diem at both Atelier (Crosby St) and IF and a new minimalism in the mid 2000s, but I wore those precious shoes and leather shirts with boot cut low rise levis and ended up getting rid of all of them (sacrilege, I know, but closets in NYC are small!)

Had a hard core Junya phase and some basic Thom Browne (my version of Americana) for a few seasons, until I realized they were on repeat.

Then found Rick Owens (the new Helmut Lang as far as I am concerned) and Atelier (new location) and SZ around 2008 and I think I am down the dark rabbit hole. Rick, Ann, CDG, LUC, CCP, BBS, Julius, MA+, InAisce.

I'm not sure where there is to go from here, but I always try to keep an open mind. Any fool who wore DSquared2 should keep an open mind.
              Originally posted by DRRRK
              The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• arby2001
                • Jan 2011

went from not giving a fuck to buying visvim in 2008 because they were cool and shit

progressed onto burberry because i had more money then sense, their brit line quality was frankly awful. couple sale pieces off dsquared, agnes, usual eurotrash

went to daikanyama julius 2010 and never looked back since. i get random tshirts from everywhere though. also i dabble a bit in cdiem + offshoots, very fortunate to have a grandma/luc retailer 20 mins off where i live.
                too skinny for rick

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Castor, I think quite a few Helmut fans gravitate to Rick.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• u-ti
                    • Apr 2012

Damn, I wish I had the money to buy numerous pieces from designers like YY AnnD RO when i was 18 (dont think i could have pulled it off that style at the time anyways).
                    I remember I was sticking to domestic designers back when I was that age. I remember there was one good local select shop with good international clothes where we went just for chats and checking out things (they used to have like chalayan), but never dared to purchase.

Comment

• killah
                      • Jun 2009

went from streetwear graphic tees and athletic sneakers to a cross between "denim-bro" and punk with an emphasis on loud colors to much darker colors from stuff like rick raf ann d carpe etc sometimes shifting between an emphasis on silhouette/weird shapes/layers to strange fabric and embroidery ending up mixing all previous aesthetics together n now im getting fatter having to sell/give away stuff buying from thrift store lookin like a grimey mess which has basically been the main theme in my style since the beginning anyway

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Bump for members new and old

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Deux_Oiseaux
                          • Sep 2012

Until I was about 11 or so, I didn’t really care about what I wore in any sense. I think moving from Lebanon to Australia was the turning point. In Beirut, I attended a rather upscale private school with no dress code, so I’d just wear whatever my parents dressed me in. Attending public school meant wearing a uniform 5 days a week made me cherish wearing clothes that wasn’t my uniform, stuff that expressed my interests, even something as silly as video game t-shirts, baggy cargo shorts and huge, puffy skate shoes. Didn’t really have an idea about high fashion - that was the sort of stuff I associated with my parents than kids my own age. I wore the same kind of stuff finishing elementary school and going into my first few years of high school, video game shirts moving into dinosaur jr and sonic youth t-shirts along the way and switching my shorts for jeans. When I was about 13, we moved again, to Malaysia, and my style changed again.

I developed a really silly idea of what “mature” people should wear - I hated being perceived as a silly little kid and thought myself superior to all the kids my age. This led me to wearing rather boring and poorly sized menswear pieces - oversized dress shirts, far too tight trousers, plastic square-toed dress shoes. I guess this style developed and refined more as I used the internet to learn more about fashion, coming across styleforum-esque info graphics. Still remember buying my first pair of Levi’s and thinking how cool I was! This was probably the first price barrier - I wouldn’t have thought about spending ~$100 on jeans before, but to me the patch and the name was worth it. We also started travelling more around South East Asia, and I started looking at local designers, especially in Thailand. I still have tons of Greyhound stuff, and I think that was what initially attracted me to stuff like Margiela. At the same time, I started looking around some of the more upscale shops in Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur, eventually coming across some higher-end stuff: for me this was Dries Van Noten, Margiela and Raf Simons. I liked their cool and subversive take on the kind of menswear stuff I was wearing that managed to remain somewhat light-hearted. Was still way outside of my price range.

Just after I turned 16, I found out about superfuture and became enamoured with streetwear and the denim-head stuff on there. A few months later I bought my first pair of raw denim jeans - Naked & Famous. I knew next to nothing about them, and looking back on them, they were hardly stellar (had a tailor hem them - the inseam of one leg was roughly 2cm longer than the other), but I wore them every day for months. At the same time I was still looking at some of the higher-up stores in Bangkok, eventually coming across Rick and Julius just around the time of AW12 Mountain. Tried on a fair share of Rick stuff despite it being way outside my current price-range. The darker aesthetic was interesting, but at the time I was way more interested in things like Visvim and Neighorhood. Visvim led me to the higher-end workwear and outdoorswear menswear brands like White Mountaineering, that eventually led me to Junya Watanabe. I remember buying my first few WM pieces on my 17th birthday and almost never taking them off. I was still only able to buy things on sale though.

At 17 I was obsessed with Junya - I’d been cognisant of CdG and Yohji as the forefathers of Japanese fashion in regards to the brands like Undercover I loved, but never payed attention to them, but Junya’s AW12 collection clicked with me immediately. Around the same time, I figured out how to use proxy services and the superfuture classifieds. Coupled with a meagre income from my short-lived retail job, I started to buy as much as I could get my hands on, though my wardrobe was still full of fast fashion, mostly Uniqlo. Reselling some of the clothing I lost interest in at a gain meant even more money with which to buy clothing, so my wardrobe grew. We visited France in the summer, and managing to get some older Yohji pieces from my dad’s old wardrobe and visiting the array of amazing stores in Paris (most importantly the CdG flagship) practically drove me into a frenzy. I was just buying and reselling stuff in order to buy more, wearing a piece a few times before putting it up on superfuture. Even pieces I had wanted for so long were put up for sale in order to fund whatever new purchase I wanted. It was really silly, and pretty unsustainable. I kept making bigger and bigger purchases until all my money was invested in a handful of stellar, but expensive pieces.

Around the same time, I realised that I wasn’t really that happy. I had never really thought about clothing other than what looked good, even though my opinion of that changed over time, I never considered the merits of garment other than that initial visceral attraction. And as beautiful as Junya’s stuff was, it just wasn’t me, it just started to feel costumish. I started buying less (I was really out of money) and researching more, giving more attention to designers I’d been interested in in the past but only had very inchoate knowledge of: Carol Christian Poell, Takahiro Miyashita, Tatsuro Horikawa, but most importantly, Yohji Yamamoto. I thought back to some really good advice from someone - rather than simply looking to mash designer looks together in “aesthetic harmony” with little consideration for myself, instead to learn more about their works and their philosophies while developing my own personal philosophy and my own aesthetic vision and relating clothing to that - How I want to look and what I want to express.

Or in his words “[you can] use your principals and ideas as a foundation it's easy to build on - again, opposed to trying to consolidate pieces from every other collection in ref to each other which may/may not represent you imo”

This is still in development, and I mostly just wearing a few basic pieces with plenty of Uniqlo and the same pair of Doc Martens, but it’s been really rewarding to delve into the work of designers like Altieri, Harnden, Yohji and Poell, and in particular, Geoffrey B Small, whose stance on ethical manufacturing really resonated with me and certainly made me commit more to “ethical” consumption. And considering I’ll finish college this year and be able to work full time, I’ll hopefully be able to start building the wardrobe that I feel comfortable in before anything else.

e:sorry for the inarticulate rigmarole
                          Last edited by Deux_Oiseaux; 01-03-2014, 04:22 AM.

Comment

• interest1
                            • Nov 2008

Faust - ok stop bumping threads.
                            sain't

Comment

• shima
                              • Jan 2009

I think my interest started around 16. I was following a Swedish blogging collection called Feber, which I mostly followed for their news and reviews of electronics and video games. They also had some sections for clothing and fashion, which I slowly turned to. Think I actually was on /fa/ for a while also, haha. At this time I was mostly into clean and minimalistic Swedish fashion, which then turned into more and more experimental brands like Nakkna and V Ave SR. Eventually found my way to SZ when I was around 18 (22 today) and got into this style, which I've stuck to since and still evolving within. I find it interesting to view through my outfit pics over the years and see how I evolved and grown more confident in it.

Comment

• MeMyselfAndI
                                • May 2012

That's quite an interesting thread to read.
                                As a noob here, in the sense i'm a reader rather than a poster, i thought i might give it a shot.

My interest in men fashion started late, when i was 32 years old.
                                My style back then was a mix of eurotrash / full black / two sizes (sometimes more) too big.
                                I find it more interesting to include pictures, so here is one outfit i did back in the times. It was my starting point before sending to trash most of my clothes.

Link only not to hurt your eyes.

I started with french (coz i am a frenchie) fashion blogs. One of them, that i won't name, is basics oriented. This website, and the book they wrote, allowed me to reset my wardrobe.
                                After one year of chinos, raw denims, cardigans, shirts, i started to have a better grasp on fit and colors.
                                My outfits at the time were really basic, but they were my size and the fit was correct.

That's when i introduced some stuff more "SZ-esque".
                                I loved looking at stuff here but was waiting to have somehow a better level (and bigger bank account...) to buy stuff.
                                I spent like a year reading topics here, enjoying discovering new brands and casually trying to see the clothes for real in Paris.

And then i gave it a try and after quite a number of second hand clothes buying / selling i began to understand what kind of outfits i wanted to make.
                                Attachment / Odyn Vovk / InAisce (boots) / Zam Barrett are some of the labels i enjoy to wear now.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎