• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
    Faust - ok stop bumping threads.
    Give people a chance! Besides, anyone who can use "inchoate" deserves a voice on SZ.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• eleven crows
      • Mar 2011

I thought I liked CCP until I tried it on.

Comment

• eleven crows
        • Mar 2011

Just a bit of a joke.

CCP is awe inspiring in technical ability and creativity. The fit is too rigid. Too controlled. The clothes were wearing me. I can't conform to Carol's vision. Perhaps a weakness on my part.

Popularity on the larger scale is no doubt due in a large part to exclusivity.

Sorry for going off topic.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by fit magna caedes
          Recently had to reassess all my conclusions on "my style" when, while I was killing time the other day, I walked into a familiar store and tried on a piece I really didn't expect to like. Was afflicted with the uncontrollable need to own it, no matter the cost.

I got the grail-lust, is what I'm saying. Out of nowhere. Got it bad.

Not that I've never had a particular piece I obsessed over (I first had that experience more than a decade ago, a hooded black coat I wore to death) but this one made me... rethink things. Not just what it is in a piece of clothing that appeals to me, but how much that appeal is worth, and how I should choose to purchase things as a result of that worth. I dunno. Probably the specific thoughts would not be new to anyone here, but sometimes you think you know your opinion on things, have considered it all, and then BAM, opinion thrown across the room.

So, to bring it back to the topic: I'm curious. How much have (encounters with) single pieces changed the evolution of other people's personal styles?
          Paul Harnden hop-scotch long blazer. It was made for me. . Tried it on at L'Eclaireur, dragged myself away, and then ended up buying it a year and a half later from Dawn here at Paris retail anyway. It evokes (invokes?) my inner Little Prince like nothing else (except maybe my Ann asymmetric coat). This was how the whole Paul Harnden craze got started.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• 550BC
            • Jan 2013

Growing up with music like the Wu Tang Clan and so on, I wanted to be like them..and other rappers from the 90s, during High School I would wear Karl Kani baggy jeans and t-shirts, or plain white tees till my knees(it looked ridiculous) Damaged oversized Levi Jeans, but it was a part of my aesthetics at that moment. Movies like Menace II Society,Boyz N The Hood had an influence on me clothing wise and aesthetic wise(nothing violent)

Later when N*E*R*D dropped their first album and Pharrell Williams started his ICE SCREAM Skateboard movement I slightly changed my style, I would still wear baggy clothes but I bought A Bathing Ape, Billionaire Boys Club and started skateboarding more then I did before, fucking up these clothes making rips,holes,shredded hems. even though they were quite expensive at that time, I always had a fascination for damaged garments,objects on that age. I only liked my deck when it was a few flips away from breaking in half.

Through these phases my color palette was always monochrome black,white,grayish and sometimes a small tone of color.

After this, I took my foot of the gas somehow, and only wore minimal basic plain stuff, nothing special. black trousers, black or white t-shirt, black boots.

Later, Rick Owens came in the picture and thats where it started.
            And now I barely wear Rick anymore.. but that's okay I cherish every phase I went through.

I think when my style really evolved is when I came in touch with Boris Bidjan Saberi his work and got an AW09 classic leather jacket, aesthetic wise it reminded me of the street culture phase and certain details reminded me of my Persian Roots. So there I am, many years later :)
            Last edited by 550BC; 04-25-2014, 05:49 PM.
            a fish out of water dies

Comment

• PandorasFate
              • Apr 2014

Even when I was a young thing, I wanted crazy clothes. I remember clearly dressing up as cyndi Lauper for Halloween in preschool. Mom got me a neon pink dress and fishnet gloves. It was a hoot. I stole her fashion magazines and loved the couture of Vogue's runway stuff. I drew sketches with a friend of mine. Espirit was a personal favorite. Siouxsie Sioux and Lady Miss Kier were my first muses. There were so many crimped hairstyles.

My teenage years turned dark. I stalked the Anna Sui lines, Betsey Johnson, Lip Service and Tripp. I was trad goth. Big Hair, crushed velvet, Doc Martens, and so much eyeliner. I kept my look tidy though. Not sexy, not freakish. My first piece of real couture was a floor length burgundy crushed velvet ball gown skirt from Carolina Herrera. I wore it with a purple Label Ralph Lauren black velvet riding coat. I thought I was beautiful. I won a senior superlative for "best wardrobe."

Even when the techno took over in 98 I work strange dark clothes. House of Spy, Body bag, Kitchen Orange, The People have spoken. I was not a candy raver. I thought I was FIERCE. I rocked my stacked Fluevogs under 56 inch Auraze satin pants and made it work. I loved Heatherette. I met Richie at a party I DJ'ed in 2001 and he sent me a pair of jeans. I was smitten.

Until I found this site a few months ago, I never knew there were other people with my taste. I live in nowheresville in the American south. Its hard out there for anyone with a penchant for Rick and Ann, for asymmetric cut suits and draped dresses. I work hard to look like I want, but I take flack for it. This is the land of seersucker, Tory Burch and Lily Pulitzer. It's pink out there, and its horrid. I did so much cosplay that my dearly beloved Mr. Fate bought me a sewing machine, and I made my own clothes. I copied Rick and Lanvin. I duped Byblos. I found Demeulemeester and made what I could out of Leather. I fell for Margiela, for Sruli, for the look in the Hunger Games, Aeon Flux, and Ultraviolet. It's an honest look, it suits my pallor, black hair and small stature. It's probably contrived to many of you, but I made it as I wanted it. Everyday I get to play dress up, and I effing love it.
              “Budget the luxuries first.”
              ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• BlacknWhite
                • Apr 2014

Hip hop influenced street wear with baggy t shirts, jeans, nikes, and Jordan's to something a bit more hipster/Americana with flannels, plaid, skinny jeans, and brown leather jackets to what is currently lots of black and white. Mod I guess? I really hope this aesthetic I am aiming for stays with me. My elementary school librarian has been dressed this way for decades! And still looking great! but I say that about every new look I embrace...
                Last edited by BlacknWhite; 04-26-2014, 12:13 AM.

Comment

• eleves
                  • Sep 2012

I was a nerd in a school of 90% non-nerds and I used to try to dress in ways that everyone thought was cool. Seems like a lot of us grew up in the gangsta clothing era of ultra baggy/large clothes in general. I used to wear as much Sean John and Ecko as possible ha. Eventually went to high school where I was introduced to Nike SB's and the cooler Japanese streetwear labels like A Bathing Ape, the subsequent cool hype of Ice Cream/BBC, Original Fake, Visvim and whatever various streetwear brands were popping up in NYC and being carried at Union. I was also introduced to the idea that expensive sneakers didn't cost $120 dollars but upwards of $300, that t shirts could be $80 and introduced to things like hype and exclusivity. No turning back from there. The entire culture came with it. I collected vinyl toys from Kid Robot, joined every single forum that I could and constantly needed a refresh in clothing. It wasn't as easy as it used to be, a single t shirt now cost as much as 3 or 4 used to. From there I went to college with the same aesthetic and then eventually turned into one of those #menswear guys. No idea how that started but I basically got rid of most of the cooler streetwear pieces that I had (which I now miss having). I was huge in the whole heritage boom, was surprised at how much more I was spending on clothing than when I was into streetwear, found more forums and joined those. Finally got bored of that too, got bored of the blogs with people doing the same shit over and over, reinterpreting colors and patterns and palettes and just the overall peacocking and I also hated that I became one of those guys that wore a tie to every single place that I went to. I started to get more muted, more into earth tones and eventually faded down into monochrome. I liked the silence and wisdom of it. Finally felt like I was at home. I began to notice and pick up on people wearing things that we here at SZ love and began to actively learn about this world. My favorite part of this now is how much everything costs, the evolution of my style and the evolution of how much money I am willing to spend on a single garment!
                  Originally posted by Faust
                  HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• qazwsx
                    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by eleven crows View Post
                    CCP is awe inspiring in technical ability and creativity. The fit is too rigid. Too controlled. The clothes were wearing me. I can't conform to Carol's vision. Perhaps a weakness on my part.

Popularity on the larger scale is no doubt due in a large part to exclusivity.
                    word. ccp's exclusive in the way that not everyone can pull it off, regardless of how fat your wallet is.

Music would be a big part that led me to caring what to wear back in high school. I first was introduced to guns n' roses, marilyn manson, nirvana, which in some way connected to number (n)ine and undercover. then, without knowing the existence of y-auction, i found darklands berlin over the internet. Surfing over the boutique, I was very much drawn to Julius of it's compelling industrial look. Well, having being inexperience of dressing and not having any physical store that carries the niche around, i purchased a few _7 pieces online and realized its outward vibe was not something i could pull off right, especially during that stage of identity crisis. After a few years of falling back and forth between wanting to give something a try and not giving a shit, I was fortunate enough to meet Graham at re-porter, who was one of the mentors that introduced me to the inward, modest, and quiet beauty/craftsmanship of carpe diem and the like. It was something that fitted my personality, as I always hated being overdressed and had someone looking at me. Looking effortless and coherent is what I prefer as i think it's more natural and visually comfortable. When someone puts too much effort trying to put up an identity that he's not by dressing, the dissonance could reveal a sense of arrogance along with an undertone of insecurity. On the other hand, the rather minimalist aesthetic makes the garment itself more timeless - makes them aesthetically satisfying enough for me to beat them up over time. This aspect fitted also my belief of wearing coherent things over time, rather than rapidly replacing with the latest trend like fast fashion. Now, wearing these quiet garments, I could enjoy the details that most people do not notice - I could feel the touch of the fabric, read the anatomic seams, look down to see the lovely shape of my boots, the creasing of leather and fading from age, and that's what i genuinely enjoy
                    Last edited by qazwsx; 04-29-2014, 03:01 AM.
                    "Things you own, end up owning you." --- Tyler Durden [FightClub 1999]

Comment

• TheArchitect
                      • Jul 2013

i never find something that fits to me or that i like, so i decided to make my own clothes. Naturally i want to compare my work with other designers and that's why i came to fashion. It started late, about 2years ago but i always have a creative mind and an avant garde spirit that leads me naturally to different ways.
                      https://www.facebook.com/arootsorg

Comment

• Arcane
                        • Jul 2008

My experiance is that with age I've started to not give a fuck anymore, am I the only one experiencing this? Not as in wearing chinos, crocs and gap, but more in the way that 'less is more' (it's a cliche, I know)?

I find myself wearing more basic pieces of high quality which might not look very spectacular but are comfortable and practical. It surprises me because I used to be one to experiment with layering and silhouettes, mix and match colours and materials and so forth. I really enjoy the feeling of starting the day by picking whatever the fuck I like to wear, because it all basically goes together.

I still retain a passion for shoes though, so I try to mix it up there. Still, it's an approach I never realised would feel fulfilling to me.
                        Label me landlord, I keep k's in my hand

Comment

• BlacknWhite
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                          My experiance is that with age I've started to not give a fuck anymore, am I the only one experiencing this? Not as in wearing chinos, crocs and gap, but more in the way that 'less is more' (it's a cliche, I know)?

I find myself wearing more basic pieces of high quality which might not look very spectacular but are comfortable and practical. It surprises me because I used to be one to experiment with layering and silhouettes, mix and match colours and materials and so forth. I really enjoy the feeling of starting the day by picking whatever the fuck I like to wear, because it all basically goes together.

I still retain a passion for shoes though, so I try to mix it up there. Still, it's an approach I never realised would feel fulfilling to me.
                          This sounds EXACTLY like me, just replace a passion for shoes with outerwear. Many of the teachers, and parents at the school I work at are like this as well.

Comment

• j100000
                            • May 2014

I started paying attention to clothes around about the age of 14. I started out wearing G-star cos thats was the shit in melbourne back in 07, although some people still wear it now. I was doing that for a while, I was one of the retards that had a gucci fanny pack and wore it around my chest. Then in 2011 I started getting into apc and acne, then it somehow progressed to givenchy. Then in 2012 tb and rick. At the moment Im still into boris and thom, and im also into ccp and ph but have insufficient funds to cop any of that. I am no where near to satisfied with my wardrobe as yet, but I guess it takes time.

Comment

• woupes
                              • Apr 2011

I mostly grew up in New Jersey a town about 10 miles out of Manhattan, you would think being so close to one of the cultural epicenters in the world it would've spread to our town, not so. The guys wore leather vests, jeans and cowboy boots, And so did I. I got tired of looking like everyone else. I started looking around Manhattan and found Issey Miyake, almost everything I bought at the store is in black. Issey does a deep back, I loved it. One day the salesman said seeing as you like black so much you should check out If and Atelier. I did and was hooked. I remember checking out Rick Owens stuff and saying never, not me. These days its Rick, Julius, BBS, Lumen et Umbra, MA+ etc... Most of which I found out about on here and at stores that cater to the SZ crowd.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by woupes View Post
                                I mostly grew up in New Jersey a town about 10 miles out of Manhattan, you would think being so close to one of the cultural epicenters in the world it would've spread to our town, not so. The guys wore leather vests, jeans and cowboy boots, And so did I. I got tired of looking like everyone else. I started looking around Manhattan and found Issey Miyake, almost everything I bought at the store is in black. Issey does a deep back, I loved it. One day the salesman said seeing as you like black so much you should check out If and Atelier. I did and was hooked. I remember checking out Rick Owens stuff and saying never, not me. These days its Rick, Julius, BBS, Lumen et Umbra, MA+ etc... Most of which I found out about on here and at stores that cater to the SZ crowd.
                                I bet that salesman was Zari.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎