Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reborn
    • Aug 2008

hmm...i grew up in suburban TX, so I was pretty much a jeans and tee or polo wearing kinda guy (average prep). In college, it was pretty much the same...all of my cash went to books. After graduating I interned for a publishing house in Boston (summer of 99)...and during a lunch break, I ambled into LouisBoston (I had no idea what was in the store). I was totally blown away: the first floor of the boutique was a hodge podge of euro labels: Yen, Bailey, 6876, helmut lang, walsh, neil barrett and others I cannot recall.

A pair of sneakers, overdyed blue suede with thin crepe soles, caught my eye. I had never seen casual shoes inspired from atheltic models (totally common now but not so available at the time). the SA convinced me to try them on and I began my obsession with footwear...The SA said, "he's belgian and we're carrying his collection in depth. The name rhymes with grease." I forked over my meager intern stipend, which I had been saving for a month, and purchased my first pair of designer shoes ($195+$1 tax). I still have those Dries Van Noten shoes...with a better job and evolving taste, I purchased more items from Louis': Neil Barrett down vest with black MOP buttons; a classic Dries suit (robin's eggshell blue) for a wedding in Newport...My style moved away from casual preppy to "deconstructed" american (composed of all euro labels, how ironic): distressed tees and denim from Helmut Lang, a translucent polyurathane trench from Jil Sander, Cloak knits, Marni cashmere...and now my style resides somewhere between understated luxury (lame description that includes: hermes, pink, zegna, mostly my work attire, which is very conservative) to goth/street/artisinal/prep (also a lame description: mmj, mcqueen, casey-vidalenc, luc, n(n), headporter, dirk schonberger, km rii, l.g.b., etc.) In between those to diametrically opposed descritions, sprinkle in obsessions with prada (pretty much limited to belts, footwear, knitwear...however I have started to lose interest with miuccia), mmm, yohji, Original Fake, bottega veneta and cdg.

Comment

• snafu
      • Apr 2008

i am requesting nod's statement

Comment

• Johnny
        • Sep 2006

what about you snafu?

Comment

it started with the little mermaid (both the disney version and the original short story) when I was 2. I was obsessed with the elegy and the flowy romance. I loved flags, and always screamt on the top of my lungs if i couldn't have one when I wanted one. The way hair and fabric floats through air just had me mesmerised, and that's where I am still, slightly more cultivated. i always have something floaty on, or else it feels dry and dead. My hair is now at my waist, 60 cm long, aiming for 100 cm. Just because.

Comment

• Fade to Black
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
            it started with the little mermaid (both the disney version and the original short story) when I was 2. I was obsessed with the elegy and the flowy romance. I loved flags, and always screamt on the top of my lungs if i couldn't have one when I wanted one. The way hair and fabric floats through air just had me mesmerised, and that's where I am still, slightly more cultivated. i always have something floaty on, or else it feels dry and dead. My hair is now at my waist, 60 cm long, aiming for 100 cm. Just because.
            very well written

as for my story, there isn't too much of one. growing up did not have much of an interest or knowledge in putting myself together, then somewhere around freshman year of college i started paying more attention, and now here I am.
            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• philip nod
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by snafu View Post
              i am requesting nod's statement
              you're not the only one snaf
              i can't believe the early stuff was written in 2006 i new dawn, servo, gutp, albert, casem, swb, i thought it was all from this year amazing, i kept thinking everybody really focused on the past...
              One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Spencer
                • Feb 2007

Well, until somebody more interesting comes along, here's me.

I'm a lifelong metalhead. In my teens / early 20's I certainly dressed the part. Lots of unflattering fitting clothes, lots of metal tees, and lots and lots of black. Of course as I grew older and more refined I would... wear the same shit. Until that cold November morning when I realized that, I was fat. I ballooned up to 240 pounds (I'm 6'1") and my go-to wardrobe ceased to fit. Mall, here I come!

So a few years pass, and I'm a mess. The girlfriend I was with at the time went bye bye and I knew it was time for a change. I changed my diet and hit the gym. In the span of a year I went from 240 to 160. (160 was waaaaay too low for my body type, and I eventually settled in at 170).

So I had this nice new rock hard bod, and needed the proper wardrobe to show it off. But where to go? How does one dress themselves when they don't know how? I'm located just outside of Washington D.C., so if I was going for preppy college look, I was all set. But that wasn't me. And I'll admit I even tried that. Yikes! I'd ban myself for posting those fit pics.

Then one day, I stumbled upon this MSN Dior Homme forum. "What's this?!" I thought. I had never seen anything like it. And it was exactly what I was looking for in my mind. Long story short, lots of trial and error later, I had what would be my new wardrobe for the next couple years. (I was buying items from VOTC and back. Everything forward was well, yeah.)

But I still wasn't satisfied. I was starting to look at clothing in a whole different light. Fabric and cut became just as (if not more so) important than looking bad-ass. And I was getting tired of slim, slimmer, and not-being-able-to-bend-over fits.

SZ. Not sure if it was from Albert in the old Dior forum, of maybe Faust posting about it in the other fashion forum that I can't recall the name of, but I was here from pretty much day 1. And I was immediately hooked. I'm very much a wait and see kinda guy, so I wasn't posting / participating much, but I was watching. Oh yes, I was watching.

I still consider myself a newbie on the fashion front, but that's ok with me. Being the be all end all is not something that I strive for. I just want to be comfortable in what I'm wearing and look good doing it. MOST of what I wear everyday would likely be torn apart by the members here, and that's fine. But I really could care less. If I could throw on some shit and look like so and so badass, but I didn't quite feel right, that's just no good. I'm me and I wear what I wear and that's pretty much it.

I'm still trying new things. Some things work, some don't. That's the nature of the beast I suppose. I'm still and will probably forever be evolving, but that's cool with me and is what I really love about fashion. You can tweak a thing here or there and completely change your look. And I'm finding my mood just as much as the weather will determine what I throw on. Whereas it used to be simply whatever would fit.

Anyways, blah blah blah. I'm not looking to score the next best thing (usually) or compile mass amounts of one particular designer, I just like to pick up pieces here and there and see if I can work them into whatever it is I'm going for. I figure I'm batting about 300 with 25 HR's and 75 RBI's these days. I'm trying to attain A-Rod numbers without injecting myself with CCP.

All the time.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                  • Sep 2008

good stuff Spencer, it's like if David Sedaris was into dark clothes and gloomy metal.
                  www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Vanna
                    • May 2008

I started looking at clothing the same way I look at art, as a form of sign language, imbued with myriad possibilities. Right now, I tend to gravitate towards a neutral palette with strong interjections of color. I love deep, saturated tones against black or gray.

I've gone through a lot of 'phases.' From goth, to prep, to just plain out there, and I finally feel like I'm settling into a way of dress that reflects how I choose to represent myself as an artist.
                    Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• Magician
                      • Jul 2008

Spencer enjoyed your post a lot, seemed very similar to my situation. And as many here are quick to point out, I still wear some of this stuff awkwardly, but I'mn spending conservatively and getting better at it.

DC area SZ meetup in the future?
                      Selling badass McQueen topcoat 48/38/M. I also write and tweet.

Comment

• Servo2000
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
                        you're not the only one snaf
                        i can't believe the early stuff was written in 2006 i new dawn, servo, gutp, albert, casem, swb, i thought it was all from this year amazing, i kept thinking everybody really focused on the past...
                        It's very strange reading my post in this thread, I have to say. It's interesting how much i compartmentalized all the different elements where as now it's very much more swept in a more comprehensive total vision. I guess.
                        WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• CHRIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2006

i've always been into clothing. aesthetics in general, as far back as i can remember! i even remember particular outfits that i liked..

age 10: white tommy hilfiger shirt, green calvin klein jorts, long white socks. cholo style, no joke. my parents hated it. cant really explain this... i was listening to alot of busta rhymes... but also tons of spice girls, so i dunno! i still wear some pretty random shit though.

age 12-15: dickies, hurley, docs, confusion about cocks.. i didnt care about style at this point. was probably listening to slipknot with some douchey bam margera wannabe on a broken half pipe. i was into labels though, unlike everyone else. unlike the rest of them, i was a single child born to quintessential label whores (i.e asians).

age 16: diesel, lacoste, seven for all mankind. i think this was the closest to 'glam fag' i ever got. was listening to kylie and the cure, although i think a bit more kylie. i loved seven jeans. but of course, the black ones.

age 18: here begins my cardigan obsession. lots of black. slim silhouettes. had tons of tsubi, nudie, acne, some dior homme. and some hipster trash mixed in here and there. my taste/style became a bit more coherent around this age, i think. i mean, i still love black, leather, zippers, studs, etc. i just do it way better these days.

age 20: ann demeulemeester, ann demeulemeester, rick owens, ann demeulemeester. not much explanation needed, tons of waywt's have done it for me. i was a bit obsessed with extreme pieces. people always stared at me like i was bat-shit crazy. i kind of was though. it was a weird year.

now: fashion backward! more subtlety, with the occasional extreme piece mixed in, as i still have a weak spot for them. dramatic shoes / accessories are still a must. been mixing alot of helmut, apc, damir doma, and i fucking love martin margiela. i got a bit taller and gained weight, so... yea clothes look way better on me than before. crazy shit not necessary. although good fabric is a definite must!

Comment

• Babyshamble
                            • Apr 2009

It's just beginning :)

6 months ago I was practically a blank canvas. (not nudist :/)

Comment

• casem
                              • Sep 2006

Wow, this is so old, I'm almost embarrassed of my post . I've continued in a similar direction as Chris, lately I've been settling into a more reserved and consistent style. I dunno if I just found what I like and was tired of experimenting, or if I'm just getting old and complacent .
                              music

Comment

• Babyshamble
                                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
                                Wow, this is so old, I'm almost embarrassed of my post . I've continued in a similar direction as Chris, lately I've been settling into a more reserved and consistent style. I dunno if I just found what I like and was tired of experimenting, or if I'm just getting old and complacent .
                                Oh wow, did not realize it was from 2006 :laugh:

But, you mention tired of experimenting, well that's probably the stage I am in now. Definitely trying things and seeing if they work or not. I'm sure this will last until the rest of the year, maybe longer. Just depends how quickly I find what I like and if it works or not.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎