Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baizilla
    • Sep 2006

When I was 15, I used to wear a lot of Visvim, WoodWood and other of these nowadays hyped streetwear labels, but at the same time I also had a couple of Dior Homme pieces that I got when I was in Paris with my school.

At 16 I started wearing Dior Homme only, however a year later I joined tFS and SuFu, and people were talking about this designer called Ann Demeulemeester... at first I didn't care much about her aesthetic, but one day I saw an article about her in a Danish newspaper about her career and I was suddenly very intrigued. A couple of i-D magazines and months later, I was able to get my first piece.

Age 17-18. By now I have sold of all my Dior clothes and have acquired a quite large Ann collection.

Age 18-??. I spent these years reconsidering my wardrobe, sold a bunch of items, because I only wanted signature pieces from Ann as wardrobe staples. After that I've been working on adding other designers to my collection, RO, _7, UC, N(N), VB, CDG, YY, Bless, CW, MMM, KKA, with the criteria that the pieces had to be very strong visually and be a signature piece.

Stylewise I haven't changed much since I was 18. My style philosophy is still the same; I always wear one extreme piece and everything else toned down.

Comment

• snafu
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by baizilla View Post

My style philosophy is still the same; I always wear one extreme piece and everything else toned down.
      bai this is great approach

Comment

• Spencer
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Magician View Post
        DC area SZ meetup in the future?

Sure. But tell me, what do we do in this meetup? Do we fondle each others outfits? Make fun of yuppies on M street?

By the way, I'm down for both.

Comment

• gerry
          • Feb 2008

Oh wow, I've missed this side of SZ.

I've always been fairly particular about how I dressed, so that aspect of my style would be a given... In middle school I was completely sure that I wanted to be a graphic designer and due to the general lack of entertainment available in the Philippines, tended to spend hours in bookstores reading books on newspaper and print design. At the end of my freshman year in high school I ran out of graphic design books to read and moved on to the next section of books which happened to be about fashion design.

I got into fashion history, specifically into Vionnet, Charles James, and Mme. Grès. If I had to identify what drew me to them it was that they possessed a stubborn, singular vision in addition to unyielding technical skill – the same thing that eventually drew me to designers like Yohji, Zoran, and eventually Jil, Rick, Demeulemeester, and the CD family. Admittedly, I also was really drawn to an aesthetic that relied more on shape, construction, and motion as opposed to surface embellishments and patterns.

This actually has very little to do with "my style." In the Philippines, I had little to no access to great clothing. I still stalked the secondhand and junk stores there, though – my first "designer" pieces were a Jil Sander top ($14!) and a Costume National bag ($2!) both of which I still use on a regular basis. My mom also had a bit of random Matsuda and Thierry Mugler that I appreciated but never took seriously. I think it was in my junior year of high school that I actually began following fashion shows as opposed to just reading books on fashion history and cutting patterns that I didn't really understand.

That's actually irrelevant because more than anyone else, the person who has most influenced my style has been Avril Lavigne. When she started getting big and all my classmates began wearing badly tied ties and armwarmers (in a tropical country!!!) I vomited mentally and ran the other way. In terms of "sartorial accomplishment," I was all over the map: I began to get shoes and clothing made (best option in the Philippines, I guess?) but also wore super campy things like pink trenches and wore a bedsheet to prom as a pseudo statement against masses of cheap chiffon.

I then moved to LA and discovered the wonders of ebay and the beauty of liking things that other people in LA don't. Being able to have some access to interesting stores helped the general understanding of some labels along, too. Then I moved to New York and actually found things that I wanted to buy at retail. A a couple side trips to Japan were really eye-opening, too.

Now: Even though my wardrobe has no holes and I've come to realize I can live on a lot less, I'm always on the lookout for good Geoffrey Beene, Zoran, Yohji, Ann, and Rick pieces.

To summarize, my philosophy towards style (from then and now) is this: "Try not to be an idiot."

I don't always succeed.

Comment

• Spencer
            • Feb 2007

After re-reading the thread, I forgot to talk about money barriers that go along with fashion. When does $1000+ for sneakers seem the norm?

I still don't talk about prices of what I'm buying with anyone who doesn't already have a clue. I'm sure my girlfriend had a good idea sometimes, but the family is oblivious. Friends, eh, a couple who've been shopping with me know, otherwise the others could care less.

It really wasn't that long ago that I thought $100 for a pair of jeans was outrageous. But coming from a collecting background, I know the more exclusive an item is, the more it's likely going to cost. Add that on top of more exotic fabrics, limited runs, this stuff is just going to cost more. I knew this already, so for me it made it seem 'ok'. At least enough to make the leap.

I think my first big purchase was some jeans from DH Strip or Luster era. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 bux. I wrestled with the decisions for what felt like forever. On top of that, I was scared to wear these high dollar items for fear of fucking them up! That is something that I still deal with on occasion, especially with delicate materials, but I've gotten much better.

My first 1K+ purchase was a VOTC bomber, which I still own and love. And from there it has just evolved into what I can afford, and basically, common sense. I don't have sticker shock nearly as much as I used too, which is certainly bad in a way. Now I more or less have a price to wear ratio. If I'm going to wear something a ton, I'm willing to spend more as I feel I'm getting my money's worth. Makes sense to me. But I also have to remember that just because it's expensive, doesn't mean I have to wear it with EVERYTHING. Fencing + Under Armour shorts don't exactly mesh. Ok, bad example, but you get my meaning.

What I also find interesting, is that since I can spend such and such amount on an article of clothing, I'm spending even more on other materialistic items. Electronics for example. It's almost as if fashion has opened up the flood gates to poordom, and there's no beaver in sight to stop the flow.

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

objectively speaking, even the 4-500 range a lot of us have encountered for DH jeans is paranormal...the nature of profits is different in the industry, but no matter how good the t-shirt looks, 55,000 yen for an avantindietro cotton long sleeve tee, or 112,000 yen for a white cotton shirt makes me scratch my head sometimes.

Aptly, fashion is the one field where all logic, reason and common sense is thrown out the window. The discussion surrounding lower absolute dollar amounts always strikes more of a nerve than in that of other materialistic pursuits far more balling such as watches, electronics, cars, etc. Nobody really bats an eye discussing the market fluctuations of a Rolex or AP.
              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• triumphoftiredeyes
                • Feb 2009

My first impression of fashion was watching 'Showgirls' when I was around 14(?) maybe 15 and they were making their own clothes. I wanted to do that, but dad wouldn't have a faggot as a son. So that was laid to rest and my dad made sure I did manly things like sports, hunting and camping.

Then I found Hot Topic and started buying ugly ass raver/club kid shit. There is a picture of my in Venice with a silver disco ball shit and electric blue velvet pants. Its quite funny and my dad HATED it, stopped talking to me and we would fight all the time.

Then I went in to a punk faze with band t-shirts and jeans. I slowly started getting into that street punk scene and showering daily didn't really matter that much. This was in HS and I was on the Crew team and my parents had to be called. (LOL this actually bringing up some funny memories as I write this) My dad started to think this was better than being gay, but worried that I was drinking and doing drugs.

College brought back the daily hygiene and t-shirt and jeans. Then I started to like to dress and I started to wear shirt and tie sometimes suits that clearly didn't fit me. Then one day I saw something on Dsquared and I saw a jacket that I loved and ended up finding it at 50% off and still have and sometimes wear. But this started kinda the route to where I am now. I know Dsquared isn't SZ approved but I liked the quality and still wear a lot the shirts and pieces that I have, but really only when I'm at the beach. Then I met my 'Gay' dad who became a mentor to me with fashion and life, and ultimately introduced me to Atelier.

He told me about Atelier and that I should check it out. He knew a guy Gentry that would, I guess come down to Joan Shepp in Philly (Where Jimmy, my 'father' worked) and check out how they bought the women's RO and Ann. Gentry worked at Atelier.

So one day by myself decided to go to NYC and find this store Atelier. Tried on the CCP Atelier Suit and thus got hooked. I loved the construction of the clothing and how the store was kinda hidden. Everybody was super nice and just talked to me about everything. I was impressed beyond belief even to till this day everybody is supper nice and know their product.

Now a days I'm still sporadic but I'm mainly in t-shirts and jeans. When I do get dressed it seems to be between Atelier or Seven. But because I'm in South Jersey, these people are confused about the Julius pilot's cap and ask me if there air show is in town this weekend. So I am very low key right now.

I still haven't gotten a sewing machine, I still turned out to be a faggot, even though my dad really did try, I just enjoy hunting, can gut a deer, and occasionally wear a wig and heels. LOL
                "Men are the dreams of shadows." - Pindar

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Spencer View Post
                  After re-reading the thread, I forgot to talk about money barriers that go along with fashion. When does $1000+ for sneakers seem the norm?
                  Never.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Gerry, awesome post... and very helpful, too! ;-)
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by triumphoftiredeyes View Post
                      My first impression of fashion was watching 'Showgirls' when I was around 14(?) maybe 15 and they were making their own clothes. I wanted to do that, but dad wouldn't have a faggot as a son. So that was laid to rest and my dad made sure I did manly things like sports, hunting and camping.

Then I found Hot Topic and started buying ugly ass raver/club kid shit. There is a picture of my in Venice with a silver disco ball shit and electric blue velvet pants. Its quite funny and my dad HATED it, stopped talking to me and we would fight all the time.

Then I went in to a punk faze with band t-shirts and jeans. I slowly started getting into that street punk scene and showering daily didn't really matter that much. This was in HS and I was on the Crew team and my parents had to be called. (LOL this actually bringing up some funny memories as I write this) My dad started to think this was better than being gay, but worried that I was drinking and doing drugs.

College brought back the daily hygiene and t-shirt and jeans. Then I started to like to dress and I started to wear shirt and tie sometimes suits that clearly didn't fit me. Then one day I saw something on Dsquared and I saw a jacket that I loved and ended up finding it at 50% off and still have and sometimes wear. But this started kinda the route to where I am now. I know Dsquared isn't SZ approved but I liked the quality and still wear a lot the shirts and pieces that I have, but really only when I'm at the beach. Then I met my 'Gay' dad who became a mentor to me with fashion and life, and ultimately introduced me to Atelier.

He told me about Atelier and that I should check it out. He knew a guy Gentry that would, I guess come down to Joan Shepp in Philly (Where Jimmy, my 'father' worked) and check out how they bought the women's RO and Ann. Gentry worked at Atelier.

So one day by myself decided to go to NYC and find this store Atelier. Tried on the CCP Atelier Suit and thus got hooked. I loved the construction of the clothing and how the store was kinda hidden. Everybody was super nice and just talked to me about everything. I was impressed beyond belief even to till this day everybody is supper nice and know their product.

Now a days I'm still sporadic but I'm mainly in t-shirts and jeans. When I do get dressed it seems to be between Atelier or Seven. But because I'm in South Jersey, these people are confused about the Julius pilot's cap and ask me if there air show is in town this weekend. So I am very low key right now.

I still haven't gotten a sewing machine, I still turned out to be a faggot, even though my dad really did try, I just enjoy hunting, can gut a deer, and occasionally wear a wig and heels. LOL
                      epic?!

Joan Shepp is one hidden gem of a store.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• triumphoftiredeyes
                        • Feb 2009

^ Yeah Joan Shepp is a great store. I wonder if a male counter part would survive in Philly. I would love to open a men's store in Philly but don't see it happening.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

It probably wouldn't. Based on their clientelle, who is usually old (let's face it - Philly is no New York and there aren't that many young people with money who are interested in matters of style), I don't see it happening. You usually see some old had there with her chubby hubby in a club jacket chewing on his cigar.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• triumphoftiredeyes
                            • Feb 2009

Yeah the men in Philly think that Boyds is the height of fashion and the vultures that work there are the worse. The handful of men that have some sense in fashion just go to NYC (like myself) 'cause its so close.

However, I could see Joan doing a small section either in the basement or the balcony for men.

Comment

• Spencer
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Spencer View Post
                              Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              Never.

True that.

Drawing the line between expensive and absurd is a fine one indeed.

Comment

• Johnny
                                • Sep 2006

snafu, like your new avatar - what is it?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎