• Farkhanyassin
      • Jan 2010

Hahaha, Fark.
      MOSLEM PRIEST

Comment

• Bubu
        • May 2008

s/he registered just to post that.
        Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

Comment

• Farkhanyassin
          • Jan 2010

Makes me wonder who it is. I'm pretty sure you can snag that pic from my fb account or my flickr.
          MOSLEM PRIEST

Comment

• whitney
            • Dec 2009

when i was a kid i'd have to wear skirts/dresses all the time, mostly because of school. when i finally got out of catholic school in 5th grade, I started wearing jeans. i fell in love with denim. would wear them all the time, with nikes and the classic adidas..fast forward to high school i fell hard playing soccer, on cement, so i had to do physical therapy and wear a knee brace. the knee brace is a pain in the ass to wear with jeans/pants so i just decided to wear skirts/dresses again. random people would come up to me and ask me "why i wear dresses all the time". i was the odd ball in high school, the one that hung out with a lot of different, random groups of people and they all influenced/rubbed off on me a bit. so i don't really think i dress towards a "type". i just wear what i like, never really tried to be anyone, dressed for anyone, but myself.

but because of work i have to wear black skirts, white collar shirts, and black sweaters..really boring since it had to be just cotton, simple with no frills or thrills. however i just got hired to work at an office so i'm sort of psyched about that, since its mostly free dress and i won't feel as restricted as i have been these past two, three years. though i did just buy a black yohji dress off yahoo.jp :p
            you stole my signature :insert mad face:

Comment

• AKA*NYC
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
              thats funny because earlier today i thought this exact same thing. he's become one of my favorite posters. quick witted but with a mature perspective. and dark. which is good.

reminds me of myself
              thirded. you're evolving into quite a writer, ftb.
              LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

i got rich, i afford rick.

Comment

• curiouscharles
                  • Jan 2008

this is an incredibly difficult thing to figure out, but i'll try...

-->middle-child parental negligence, mom's ken-doll display-of-pride gap model, pride in; intelligence, battle of the books, piano lessons, all-star soccer shy-of-his-freakishly-skinny-torso kid (please don't be on skins, please don't be on skins), videogames, graphics, somehow still happy go lucky outgoing friendly type, graphics, always betrayed by friends who are confused by my unrestricted candour... crying, crescendo of distrust begins, junior high, pressure amplification

--> tommy hilfiger model, too much fun, too many friends, dexedrine, seclusion, blackhole, first 3d accelerator (3DFX Voodoo II), graphics!, still too skinny, still too babyfaced

--> polo by ralph lauren model (still mom's ken doll), punk rock, sad songs, angry songs, passionate music, noise, theatre, theatre, acting, gigs, skateboarding

--> volcom/matix/dcshoecousa/favourite bands walking advert model (somehow still mom's ken doll), videogames, photoshop, graphics, photoshop, graphics, high school ending, pot smoke, refuse to admit an undeniable love for hip hop (far too punk rock for that), university, more pot, admission of undeniable love for hip hop

--> skateboard-kid-with-swagger model, enjoying seclusion, smoke, sci fi, and mmorpgs too much for any 18 year old's health. first year university is like camp where you make friends you wouldn't have cared to otherwise and end up making mistakes you'll regret for the majority of your life... importance of honesty, honesty, keep. shit. real.

--> skateboard-kid-with-swagger model (who works out), get muscles, like attention they bring, look at self in mirror, don't recognize self, freak out, never touch a gym ever again, remember honesty motherfucker? still grooving (hip hop), still smoking, still subsist on seclusion and graphics, discover hip hop inspired graphic tees, conservatory acceptance, consumed by theatre, begin finding lots of character through dress, discover will-not-be-named websites opening my eyes to popular fashion culture...

--> identifiable-as-a-hip-fashion-victim-who-paints-his-path-blue-with-his-skinny-japanese-identity model, capoeira, shakespeare, *gasp - macbeth, disbelief, restructuring of the voice, the stature, the status, the body, costume design, enjoyment, gait, GRAPHICS (xbox live anybody?), gait, high definition awakening, GAIT, i seriously cannot be bothered to continue reading canadian playwrights, GAIT YOU IDIOT STOP WALKING LIKE AN OBSEQUIOUS CLOSET MONGER, confidence, risks

-->if it's japanese and is shown in magazines or something-like-a-runway-show i'll wear it hipster model, hip hop expert, stop caving in your chest, stop hiding the muscles you regret, quit talking through your nose, will i ever get hired as an actor? pot smoke, graphics, fuck you sony, too much theatre, read something else - shakespeare doesn't count, mood swings, depression, graduation must be nearing, oh yup it's nearing, reality, reality, reality, what the fuck does zeitgeist mean?

...and that's where the ability to type stream of consciousness stops.

-

Comment

• curiouscharles
                    • Jan 2008

also forgot to mention running around in minny mouse dresses during playtime at preschool... i'm sure that relates to why i'm here (and in theatre) somehow?

-

Comment

• Addicted
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by curiouscharles View Post
                      -->if it's japanese and is shown in magazines or something-like-a-runway-show i'll wear it
                      I grew up in japan, i seriously don't understand the obsession of the Japanese culture from the west.

If you like modern Japanese culture, you like western culture.

Current Japanese culture strives to be western.

When i finally moved here, i was glad to be out of Japanese brands, threw those UNIQLO jeans in the trash. Found out the english they taught me in japan felt about as natural as....those uniqlo jeans.

Comment

• endersgame
                        • Aug 2009

when i was a kid, my mother was my stylist. she was a single mom and made me clothes from McCalls patterns and gave me her sweaters and coats to wear in the winter. everyone at school laughed at me.

i started to read details magazine in the 80's (totally different from details magazine today). this introduced me to charivari, matsuda, barneys, and a whole bunch of little mens boutiques in nyc that no longer exist. i was in high school back then and dreamed about shopping at these places..

i lived in sf for a while and wilkes bashford introduced me to dries, cdg, and yohji. instead of spending money on college, i spent my school loans here. worst than a crack addict..

now i shop at ed hardy's and hot topic. thanks, sz.

Comment

• syed
                          • Sep 2010

Youngest of four in an immigrant family - my father came to England with literally only the clothes on his back. When I was growing up money was non-existent - my parents believed that education was the most important thing, so that is where all the money went. I was dressed in hand-me-downs, and new clothing was a once in a year luxury.

From the age of five I was in private school, where I had to wear a school uniform. White shirt, grey v-neck sweater with a coloured trim, a striped tie in the school colours, charcoal trousers, black shoes and a grey blazer with coloured trim. In the Summer we could wear a schoolboy cap and shorts with high socks.

I found that uniform magical. It was something I could take pride in. The discipline and pride in dress, with the minute details of wearing a uniform, was a comfort and something totally removed from the not so good conditions at home. I found comfort in the rules - I wore that five days a week, during term time, until the age of nine. I did however 'make the uniform my own'. I loved being able tie my own tie, always with a Windsor knot, and with the sweater I would pull the sleeves down until I frayed away my own thumb holes.

From nine I went to secondary school. Again a private school, and a world apart from my first school. I happen to have been born and raised in South London, and whilst I went to private school in South London, for secondary school it was a half hour journey out into the leafy suburbs. As a youngster I was surrounded by hip hop, and my language was 'street' to say the least. When I got to secondary school it was a school full of reasonably wealthy kids who took every chance they got to remind me that I was not one of them (racism was unfortunately also present).

Uniform took on a new meaning in secondary school, mainly one of anxiety. Although not yet diagnosed, the effects of my autoimmune disease became highly apparent in my physical appearance. I was literally swimming in my clothes, dramatically underweight and frail. Nothing fit, and my parents being careful with expenses bought clothing I would 'grow into' (I am now 20 and I still do not fit into the blazer I wore then!).

At home my clothing was still hand-me-downs, although I was given the opportunity to buy clothing with a slightly higher frequency. Shopping with my parents in the 9-12 period was buying what they thought was appropriate for me to wear. Clothing did not really have a meaning to me, only anxiety of not fitting in with the other kids. It was clean cut and reasonably conservative. Hard wearing corduroys, thick dark coloured sweaters and baggy shirts.

When I was 13 I was diagnosed during a particularly painful period. I was a bag of bones, weighing all of 44kg, severely anemic, and was in and out of hospital. The period of 13-15 was not entirely pleasant - dealing with health issues, being bullied at school for the physical results of those issues, as well as racism. Finances at home were also difficult, and so new clothing was again a luxury for others. During this time I was conflicted between wanting streetwear, like the kids in South London, and wanting skatewear to fit in at school. Of course in reality I was still in the conservative smart casual that my parents thought was appropriate.

From 15 my health improved somewhat and finances at home were such that I was allowed a small amount every few months to buy my own clothing. Sizing was an issue, what with my frame, however trying to find a style of my own was even harder. I transitioned between cheap sports clothing and basics in bright colours. I think that wearing colour was a defence mechanism in a way, because by drawing attention immediately to my clothes, people would not comment on my weight. At the same time the sportswear was a way of blending into the background. Essentially two defence mechanisms entirely at contrast with one another!

At 16/17 I moved on from cheap sportswear. By now, I was shopping by myself I began to explore what the high street had to offer. Shops like Topman and H&M were entirely new to me. The cheap price point and rapidly changing stock allowed me to experiment and try new things. Being deeply involved in art at school I began to think of clothing in terms of art, and of the presentation of a look or outfit. It was rather indie kid meets cheap art student.

The Summer before I started University I started really getting into fashion, rather than simply dress. It was something of a natural progression from my school days. I used to lose myself in the art department at school so I wouldn't have to face the other boys. I've always had a colourful imagination, and in those days I would conjure up new outfit ideas in my head as a way of cocooning me from the physical implications of my illness. So that Summer I began to try and find out about runway shows online, and to see what the creative side of fashion was and looked like.

Starting University surrounded by History of Art kids I struggled to find a style. It alternated between a cheap version of Hedi-era Dior and vintage shopping. What made me really get interested in fashion, and in particular dress history, was the fact that two years ago I was forced to take a year of absence from University because my health had deteriorated so much.

I was in and out of hospital, cut off from social activity and pretty much bed bound for the year. In that time, having nothing much to do, I dedicated my time and efforts to learning everything I could from books and the internet about fashion. My health issues meant I was not confident in myself and my body, so clothing was a way of expressing a strong sense of identity. It was a way of gaining confidence, or at least pretending to have confidence until the day I actually did.

I discovered forums and blogs, looked through collection photographs again and again, and tried to absorb everything I saw that excited and interested me. I was particularly blown away by Yohji and Ann, especially after reading interviews and watching the Wim Wenders documentary.

Once I returned to University I was lucky enough to be able to take a course on History of Dress. My lecturer got me reading books on dress and fashion, and she would recommend me books here and there and exhibitions/talks for me to go to because of how eager I was. Since then I have tried to read as much academic literature on dress and fashion as possible (I also intend to apply for an MA in History of Dress with her, essentially because of how great an effect her course had on my life - I know that sounds totally cheesy, but it's true). After a year spent in hospital and stuck in bed at home, I had found a subject I was passionate about and something that changed the way I thought about myself.

Being back at University again and no longer bed bound I also went visiting store after store, so I could actually handle and try on pieces from as many different designers as possible. It was not just seeking out what styles I liked, but trying to discover everything about fashion and dress in general. I had read lots, but I had not really handled any of the clothing in person. A limited student budget does not help, and I can't really hold down a job, because of my health University is hard enough, so extra income is not particularly there. My style now is eclectic at best, but I have tried to refine and work with what I have to create something I feel truly reflects me.

Although my style is perhaps not quite the SZ aesthetic (yet), a large part of me really admires the philosophy and thought behind it - as well as the look! I am still trying to find out what works for me and what I like, but I guess that is something that is a constant process of discovery and evolution. I have a dream aesthetic and wardrobe that I would like to fulfill, but until I get there, I am just trying to learn about myself so that when I do get there, whatever I have really does feel 'like me'.

Sorry for the long post!
                          "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• eat me
                            • May 2009

hey man, great story, thanks for sharing. It's interesting how some people come to be interested in fashion. It's also interesting that one would find refuge in fashion, story like yours is something to be usually found on body building forums.

You're just 20, don't worry too much about financials, I know some people have it all at 20, but that's just life, ignore it :). Good luck with your MA, I have a feeling that your first designer garment is not that far away.

Also, think about the reasons that pushed you into fashion. Perhaps taking care of your body and fitness before skipping on to concealing it wouldn't be such a bad idea, both for your confidence and your wellbeing.

Comment

• Mikevigar
                              • Jan 2010

mental price barriers - I can remember some of these pretty vividly so easy to respond:

- At about 14/15/16 I remember saving for ages to buy a pair of grey diesel jeans (think they were £85) and a yellow evisu tshirt (£60), I'd wanted both for ages but remember that was pretty much the most I'd pay for something with hard earned pocket money/birthday/xmas money.

- For my 16th birthday I got a Nicole Farhi summer jacket and trousers from Brighton, the jacket was £165, and I remember thinking thats more than I'd ever spend - I think it was a definite mental price barrier for my Dad too

- When I was 18 my Nan passed away from cancer and left me and my brother a fair amount of money so I managed to persuade my parents to let me buy one thing out of it to treat myself and I got a Dolce & Gabbana distressed denim jacket for £325, definitely an amount I only paid because it was savings.

- Year and a half ago I needed a really good raincoat (living in Wales and all) so I found a CP Company jacket in the sale for £365 which is 100% waterproof and therefore really does its job and looks pretty nice/is really warm. That was a huge purchase in terms of more than anything previously - don't regret it though getting trains/buses/walking everywhere.

- Bought the Damir Doma 'trapezoid/trapeyoid (can't remember)' from darklands last year (had some cash and loved it). It was 512 Euros and didn't feel like real money with it being paypal and Euros but it was heartbreaking how bad the exchange rate was back then (cost £489 ) but that definitely broke down a few mental barriers as since i've been far less averse to spending more on single items.

- Finally, bought my first suit the other week (parents bought me my first one for a wedding and my job hasn't called for it previously working in the charity sector), so that was a barrier in the sense of buying something more functional and less for casual/everyday wearing.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

/\ you are reaching a point of no return.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎