X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • minya
    • Nov 2006

Margiela for Hermes

does anyone have any pictures of the collections (or pieces, don't even know if there were entire collections?) Martin Margiela designed for Hermes?

I know little about Margiela or Hermes, but I imagine that his Hermes collections would have been very interesting. Margiela's talent and aesthetic as a designer seems to stand apart from the style of Hermes, so the intersection intrigues me. I'm also guessing they were womenswear only. Can anyone fill me in?
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Margiela for Hermes

Hey, minya - welcome!

Margiela for Hermes never mad a splash. I think that Hermes is so thoroughly entrenched as a brand for upper east side millionaires and the like that Margiela didn't really do anything interesting for them. I don't have any pictures, and I am having a hard time placing Margiela for Hermes timewise. It was right before Gaultier, who started about two years ago. So about 2000 - 2004, give or take a year. Someone correct me if I'm really off.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• baizilla
      • Sep 2006

He did the collection in '98, and yes it was womenswear :)

Comment

• minya
        • Nov 2006

thanks for the welcome, faust. And thanks for the info.

Sounds exactly like I suspected, I guess. Ah well... I find Margiela's menswear pieces to be much more interesting imo.

Comment

• een
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

Margiela for Hermes never mad a splash. I think that Hermes is so thoroughly entrenched as a brand for upper east side millionaires and the like that Margiela didn't really do anything interesting for them.

[/quote]

Agree for the most part - the silhouette was often oddly matronly, but I admire the restraint and sophistication of the collections.(Sometimes restraint to the point of boring...) The cashmeres and leathers were beautiful, and I'm guessing the signature deep v-neck tunics will become classics of sorts. Here are a few images for reference:

Comment

• dontbecruel
            • Sep 2006

Thanks Een, I've wondered what this stuff looked like for a while.

Blank-edged tailoring with heavy woolen cloths: this actually looks oddly like Raf Simons menswear (AW collections circa 1998-2001). The grey vest and pant suit (pic 4) is very sexy I think.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Thanks for the pictures, een!
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

For JaridRose,

Not sure if these are indeed Margiela for Hermes, but they are from Fall Winter 2000, so probably they are.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

What's with the models?

I guess it's for the market they're catering to....

Hermes was always lame to me. Ridiculous prices for lackluster product.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• macuser3of5
                    • Sep 2006

Huh? I think the models look fine. And Hermes might be overpriced, but the quality is very much there.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="macuser3of5"]Huh? I think the models look fine. And Hermes might be overpriced, but the quality is very much there.[/quote]

I agree - Hermes quality is really high.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="macuser3of5"]Huh? I think the models look fine. And Hermes might be overpriced, but the quality is very much there.[/quote]

This model makes me want to buy everything with an H on it hahaha

I don't doubt the quality of Hermes, but the same could be had for less... and it's just plain not imaginative/creative at all. Although Faust was talking about one of their wallets ages and ages ago and it was pretty decent. I don't dispute them as a pretty good mainstream leather house.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎