Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gustavo Lins

Default Gustavo Lins

I cameacross this label at the exhition of the new s/s stuff at L'éclaireur in Aoyama. I was told by the artistic director of the store that it's fairly new, only introduced 6 months ago at a party in Tokyo. The designer is apparently an architect and I'm pretty sure he's french.

The clothes looked really nice. Pretty much only black from what I've seen, and usually fabric with very sober leather details on the sleeves or hems. The prices points were ridiculously high: 800$ for a long sleeve cotton tee shirt, 3000$ for a light cotton coat, etc.

Does anyone have more info on the label? I cannot find a website and I'm not even sure I remeber the spelling of the name correctly...

Default Re: Gustavolin

it's gustavo lins (edit the thread title). he apparently studied how to make kimonos and applies the techniques to his work (at least that's what i was told by an SA). i had a brochure of his, but i seem to have lost it.

his site is: gustavo lins and you can see some of his women's work here

from DP

Gustavo Lins got his expert training working as a pattern maker for
    luxury brands. Every piece of clothing is cut and sewn to perfection
    using only the finest textiles. This jacket is made of linen and
    leather other pieces are cut out of fine silk crepe. The collection is
    made for men as well as women and interestingly enough some of the
    pieces are cut out of one piece of fabric and then the remains of that
    fabric are used to construct yet another dress. Gustavo drapes on a
    mannequin that he has custom made and covered in leather. Bondage and
    horses seem to influence the designs which are sold to L'Eclaireur in
    Paris and Maxfields in Los Angeles, among other shops. Five weeks after
    he delivers his collection it is totally sold out.

found the look book in pdf format:
    gustavo lins look book (pdf)

enjoy! i wish i could afford the stuff... maybe it's cheaper at the library?

Those prices are so ridiculous it makes me angry, and I'm probably more accepting of crazy price points than 97% of the world's population. Seriously, this is just pretentious bs in my opinion.

Thanks for the info coldrice... I was confused by the tag for the name I think.

The garments are very high quality and the cuts and desgins are very inspiring, but there's no way I can afford it at retail. I'm going to make a few phone calls now :P

I read the little text on his blog... He studied architecture and worked 15 years as a modelist (is that english?) for big fashions houses around Paris. He tries to take elements of architecture and incorporate them to his cuts. He studies very carefully where clothes fall on the body, etc, etc He's fascinated by traditional japanese Kimonos because of the strict design limitations (5,5m X 5,5m) and he used that as his first source of inspiration.

Very bad translation, but I'm hungover... I can translate the whole text later tonight if anyone is interested.

I'm kinda impressed by his approach. I think I'll go check the clothes again today know that I know a bit more about him.

i unfortunately have not been able to find it discounted anywhere as of yet :( a full translation would be great!

some pictures:

I'll transalte all that this evening coldrice. I might try to get in touch directly with him too...

word, let me know what comes of that :)

i met him briefly, but didn't really say anything because i wasn't familiar with his work at the time.

Oh, did you meet him in Tokyo a few months ago? I'm trying to contact as many designers as I can just in case one of them lets me study with him... I'm not good at learning at school and I've tasted the free life now, so I don't want to go back that much ;)

Default Re: Gustavo Lins

yeah at l'eclaireur - that guy that works there that we mutually know, introduced me.

Thanks for the clarifications, I was sure this was a japanese brand and the name was Gustavolins (no space). BTW the stuff I saw didn't impress me much but I wasn't paying much attention at the time.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Neat pieces, but those prices are on some Thom Browne level nonsense.

[quote user="xcoldricex"]

[/quote]

If anybody's interested I'll translate that...

Definitely, Fuuma!

I like some of this a lot, partcularly the long black coat with leather insert. I also like that top with bunching on the back - reminds me a bit of CDG.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Here's the first text (the one on top):

Here’s a very rough translation:

Brazilian and architect by trade, Gustavo Lins moves to Paris in 1990. Starting that year, and using his complimentary training in modelism(?), notably acquired at the Syndicated chamber of Parisian couture (freestyle translation here J ), he deliberately chooses clothing (observe how they use the word clothing and not fashion, we’re talking about the physical object here) as an applicative domain of architecture. For 14 years, he puts his talent and rigorous modelist know-how at the service of the greatest luxury and creative brands (I guess fashion houses would fit better here) before deciding to simultaneously (in other words he was probably still working as a modelist) create his own brand in 2003.

His logo, a signed confession, ensue from the fusion of the architect’s and designer’s know-how: an overlocked (I think, in French it’s surpiquée) stitching in the shape of an inversed T, that evokes the architect’s ruler. It constructs the garment by anchoring it in the hollow of the shoulder blade, along the spinal cord, at the hollow of the elbow (not sure if hollow is the right term here, basically near the veins), at the strategic points of the body that should be in tune with it’s envelope.

The clothes he designs for women seem very interesting as we can sense the play on structureand shapes, a very conceptual way to look at a garment. Once again I'm not feeling his men's stuff as much although, after reading that little text I've justtranslated, I feel like checking out his stuff again, paying more attention. His approach is very much what I like about conceptual design.

Bump. I meant to bump this up a long time ago. I saw his menswear at The Library in London, and I was most impressed. The cut is incredible, it looks very elegant and sophisticated, but not stuffy at all.

Anyway, here are the stoclists from Gustavo Lins website,

L'ÉCLAIREUR / TOKYO / JAPAN

L'ÉCLAIREUR / PARIS / FRANCE

THE LIBRARY / LONDON / ENGLAND

MAXFIELD / LOS ANGELES / USA

DANTONE / MILAN / ITALY

LIFT ETAGE / TOKYO / JAPAN

JIN / SEOUL / SOUTH KOREA

BLAKE / CHICAGO / USA

WHY ARE YOU HERE... ? / OSAKA / JAPAN

FORUMFORMEN / THE HAGEN / HOLLAND

THE ARCHIVES FASHION / SAN FRANSISCO / USA

There is some stuff on his website that you can check out.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine