X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kompressorkev
    • Dec 2006

Re: Gustavo Lins

i'm not an expert, but from what i've seen (i've had 8 pieces) his stuff is really well-tailored. the styling tends to be a little more formal, but he uses a lot of sharp detailing with textured leather accents and hook closures. reallynice use of materials, lots of leather-lined pockets, hidden internal pockets,textured/ stitchedleather, and hidden leather (under the lapels,under the collar, inside the sleeve cuffs, etc).as the owner of The Library said, he uses a lot of subtle details that takes notes from womenswear. his signature is the upside-down "T" on the back which harkens back to his background in architecture.

he seems to do more womenswear than menswear. i think that his womenswear is a bit more innovative; he bases his work off kimonos.he says that his menswear is made around the basicwardrobe of coat, jacket, shirts, trousers. he recently had a Haute Couture showing in Paris for S/S08 (Collection 009) which was mainly womenswear, maybe even all womenswear. Collection 010 seems to be only womenswear in the show, but i know there's a few men's pieces as well in some stores.

his sizing seems to be a bit generous. i'm a size 48 and i normally fit a 2. i've tried many pieces in a 3 and they're always a little big. however, my most recent pieces of his "Gustavolins Atelier" seem to fit more true-to-size. i have a shortjacket in size 3 which fits perfectly, and even a wool / leather hook shirt which is a 4, but fits only slightly big on me. i think that from what i've seen, his more recent works are closer in size.

his stuff is quite expensive, but i think that Gustavo Lins pieces are pretty unique. i mean they're simple and sharply cut, but they have a distinct edge to them with his use of details.

also, i have a leather jacket of his in the classifieds, for much much much less than retail (http://stylezeitgeist.com/forums/thread/94557.aspx). i might be putting up some more in the future.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________

there is an original thread here: http://stylezeitgeist.com/forums/thread/16556.aspx
    i put up the stockists here: http://stylezeitgeist.com/forums/per...ead.aspx#79254

Comment

• tjoek
      • Apr 2008

Could anyone post his best works here? [75]

I'm curious to see his stuff....

________
      herbalaire
      Last edited by tjoek; 01-19-2011, 02:40 AM.

Comment

• ddohnggo
        • Oct 2006

Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Who?
          • Aug 2007

[quote user="ddohnggo"]

[/quote]

That coat looks amazing.

WTB/WTT: Lots of Things

Comment

• ddohnggo
            • Oct 2006

this picture just screams - DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

Yeah they picked one fool of a "model" hahaha

Lins pieces look 10000% better IRL than in photos. It would take forever to capture all the details.

I don't think the inverted T stitching works well on the front crotch though... that one is a miss [86]

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• snafu
                • Apr 2008

interesting thread after knowing more about the designer the pieces become far more attractive almost a insider secret going on a hidden surface how all the details can be missed with a glance

but yeh those pants either are very unflattering in the sense that it could be the one detail people notice for the wrong reasons or either very flattering if you know what i mean

Comment

• kompressorkev
                  • Dec 2006

the details are awesome on gustavo lins pieces. i tried on those pants and it wasn't the inverted "t" stitching out front which bothered me. the wasit was adjustable via a hook/eye closure to change the shape from wide to regular fit trousers. when you closed it, part of the fabric folded over in front, and altered the silhouette....

but this season there's alamb suede rider's jacket thatis amazing. that said, i'm not a fan of Minorityrev's buy (or Ard's, too) and i thinkl'eclaireur had a better representation i think.

Comment

• Voyer23
                    • Sep 2012

Greetings, I'm new to this forum and since I'm brazilian born I have some info about Gustavo that you may like; the following content is translated from ELLE Brazil, may 2011.

"Gustavo Lins has a dream: the only brazilian member of the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture wants to turn his atelier in the Marais district into a training center for brazilian fashion professionels. [Gustavo] is a die-hard defender of pattern-making as the essence for fashion creative process, Gustavo now seeks to endure the pattern-making and couturier(ére) crafts in Brazil. 'I pay 2,8k euros for my seamstress, and the pattern-maker even more; these are qualified professions' - says Lins."

"Now almost 50yo, the brazilian born in Belo Horizonte - 'under the sign of cancer and ascendent in capricorn' - is by now a reputed couturier. But it was as a pattern-maker that he managed to 'buy a house', as he likes to point. From there comes his preocupation about enduring the métier (profession); not by change he went to Brazil to attend to 'Regards Croisés", an encounter between Parisian fashion representatives and brazilian entrepreneurs, which focus on ideas exchange and nearing relationships between the two countries."

"Raised in a traditional 'miner'* family (*miner in brazil is a term for people born in the "minas gerais" states [literaly means general mines]), Gustavo became a fashion designer by obstinacy. 'There weren't many options among the 'triad' (doctor, lawyer, engineer)' then he opted to mining engineering, because it sounded 'more exotic'; he didn't get used to the subject, then he decided towards architecture, guided by his father (a physician): 'He said that I had a good caligraphy, then I might had a good hability to draw', remembers he. While divided between what career to follow, the image of a distant cousin, the plastic artist Lygia Clark, permeated his mind: 'I've always heared of her, like a ghost who ran off the family tracks', 'she went to Calauñia in Spain thinking about to learn more about Gaudí's work and stayed there'".

"His path changed when he conceived his doctorate project: 'I though about an association between architecture's vocabulary and fashion: an armhole is a door, a collar to the ceilling, etc'. Instead of writing an thesis, he created patterns; then it started a long long way. Although he didn't know at the time, he'd already became an fashion architect. In about two decades he framed a solid career based on hard work: 'I'm an immigrant and an amerindian's grandson. The path isn't easy and still today I'm a worker, I have to 'clock-in' everyday'".

(post continues in next reply)

Comment

• Voyer23
                      • Sep 2012

(cont.)

"Being a self-taught, Gustavo made just a basic tayloring course and and a pattern-making one, he learned mostly from the books he bought. Among trials and errors he improved his technique, in Paris he was a free-lance pattern-maker for brands like John Galliano, JP Gaultier, JC de Castelbajac and Agnès B and during five years he worked on Kenzo. He accumulated experience until he felt safe to launch his own label in 2003."

"In november 2006, he became a Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne guest, and today is an official member and now presents his collections in the Haute Couture fashionweek, side by side with Givenchy and Chanel."

"Gustavo stayed twelve years without coming back to Brazil, he became more notorious here when attended to 'Fashion Marketing' seminar in 2008, an event organized by Gloria Kalil (a brazilian fashion consultant). Now he has many plans for the country: besides putting his atelier and savoire faire to endure brazilian fashion labels, and he pretends to one day expand his label by creating a good quality prêt-à-porter'" (apparently this explains the exorbitant prices of his clothes).

"Recently he fell in the grace of Pascale Mussard (Hermès' heiress): 'She liked a foulard I was using on a party, and without knowing me, she aproached me and gave me her card. I was flattered and now I'm part of the 'Petit H' project' in which we use reamains from Hermès main production line to make new objects'. Recycling is, by the way, another common practice for him: with the fabric remains in his atelier he did seven art panels and with the ramains of paper he made mannequins. Another obsession is the knowledge; his father used to show him anatomy books when he was a kid, and then Gustavo started to study the human body to better understand the clothes fitting. He also has a good linguistic skills: he speaks six languages and insists to read/write in the 6 different idioms".

"Plarality also makes present in his atelier: he works with people from different backgrounds/origins; 'There is a moroccan, a part-mexican swiss woman, a japanese girl... Traveling I've learned that the hands movements of the workers are variable; they change depending the music they're used to listen to, or what food they eat' ".

(continues)

Comment

• Voyer23
                        • Sep 2012

(cont.)

"Among the countries Gustavo likes to visit, Japan is a great reference; Gustavo created sculptures from kimonos donated by a friend, the sculptures were displayed in museums in cities like Munich, Tokyo, Milano and Paris, where it's displayed at the Musée des arts Décoratifs."

"As a fashion designer, his style is comopolite and elegant. He likes to reinvent tailoring techniques and play with different volumes and proportions; It's an experimentalist, as to say, of the techniques and materials. He've already worked the possibilities of laether and fur, now he is dedicated to the fabrics he paints himself, then confronting the "phantom" of his cousin Lygia Clark. 'In my next collection, I'll explore the idea of a labyrinth, that she used to explore in her work. I want to study more deeply this cousin of mine, whose has been talked so much during my childhood and only now I understand how important she was in my professional construction' ".

"In love with work and life, Gustavo does not stops and likes to define his thoughs as a tsunami. 'Suddenly there is a new tide of ideas and destroy everything I used to believe, Then something new is born', although his interests never change. 'What makes me move is the human being. I've found out that fashion is an excellent 'exchange monetary system' between people.' "

(end)

original article by Laura Artigas, ELLE Brasil, may 2011

-----

I'll scan the visual content of the article anytime soon; then I can post it if you like =]

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Thanks for this! Yes, post the visuals.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎