X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LEWisMe
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    I am no leather expert, but it can't be anything else in Poell's case. Overdye is overdye - it may leak if not done well. Or it may have been's Carol's intention, who knows. With suede, it's the texture of the fabric, I think, that retains water stains. (retains rain's stains - I feel like Elisa Dolittle).

Interesting... I'll start Googling some more. I'm about to put a droplet of water on the inside cuff of my sheep skin jacket and see how it does.
    "Working out is modern couture. No outfit is going to make you look or feel as good as having a fit body. Buy less clothing and go to the gym instead." Rick Owens

Comment

• tjoek
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by reborn View Post
      Is it the leather or the lining that smells?

If you have a trusted dry cleaners or tanner in your hood, then I would take it there...otherwise the DIY approach: use lemon halfs and rub all over the leather...it will lighten the coloring but should attend to the smell...then saddle soap the crap out of the leather (you have to restore moisture)...making sure to develop the creamy lather...then use a leather conditioner.

If you love the jacket test a small corner or edge before attempting.
      Thanks reborn!

I believe it is the leather that smells because of long time shelves and in turns the lining also became smelled.

Would you please elaborate more on the DIY approach?
      ________
      Yamaha PW80
      Last edited by tjoek; 01-19-2011, 02:42 AM.

Comment

• Chim
        • Dec 2006

faust - i have a question regarding your soft rick leather that has gone through the paces. Are you ever afraid of nicking it on a rough corner or something? My favorite RO leather is just ridiculously soft and thin, but i'm sooo cautious when wearing it. Is it tougher than it seems, or do you just develop a second sense for avoiding sharp edges?

Comment

• MikeN
          • Nov 2007

Full disclosure... this warmish weather in NYC right now has got me sweating through an undershirt, a shirt, and my rick leather. I'm getting annoying white sweat marks on this damn thing near the pits. It comes off with a wet towel but I'm afraid a stain is going to set in the leather or something.

Comment

• reborn
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by tjoek View Post
            Thanks reborn!

I believe it is the leather that smells because of long time shelves and in turns the lining also became smelled.

Would you please elaborate more on the DIY approach?

Step one: Buy lemons (6 should be more than enough).
            Step two: Cut a lemon in half.
            Step three: using the juicy cut side, rub the lemon over the leather in a circular motion. (please note this is a messy procedure). Using a dry cloth, wipe off excess moisture & crap.
            Step four: Repeat step three until you have rubbed lemon all over the jacket.
            Step five: Air dry the jacket.
            Step six: If the jacket smells like lemons proceed...if still smells rank (repeat steps 2 - 5).
            Step 7: using a moist (with water) cloth, rub a schmear of saddle soap onto the jacket. In a circular motion, rub the soap into the leather (the soap should turn creamy).
            Step 8: wipe excess creaminess off the jacket with a damp cloth.
            Step 9: let the jacket air dry.
            Step 10: Optional: using a dry cloth, in a circular motion, rub leather conditioner all over the jacket. and let dry.

Hope it helps.

PS: My grandfather showed me this cleaning technique when I was a wee boy. It works but its time consuming.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Chim View Post
              faust - i have a question regarding your soft rick leather that has gone through the paces. Are you ever afraid of nicking it on a rough corner or something? My favorite RO leather is just ridiculously soft and thin, but i'm sooo cautious when wearing it. Is it tougher than it seems, or do you just develop a second sense for avoiding sharp edges?
              Yea, I know what you are saying - I am also afraid of that. Not that it precludes me from wearing the jacket.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• LEWisMe
                • Jul 2007

Speaking of knicks, I noticed a 1mm perfectly straight "cut" on the underside of the forearm of my new sheepskin Julius jacket.

Can this be fixed? If so, how and what should I use?

This wasn't something I did and the folks at Blackbird are happy to pay for the fix. Anyone know a good leather place in Seattle?

Thanks!
                "Working out is modern couture. No outfit is going to make you look or feel as good as having a fit body. Buy less clothing and go to the gym instead." Rick Owens

Comment

• Real Real
                  • Feb 2007

I just bought a washed gray/tan suede harrington-style jacket - anyone have experiences with suede outerwear? Recommendations on a waterproofing spray?

Comment

• Castor
                    • Nov 2009

Don't spray light colored suede, especially if it is very soft. It will change the color and feel, in my experience. Magic Eraser used dry will remove scuffs (gently please).
                    Originally posted by DRRRK
                    The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• allanb
                      • Apr 2009

Does anyone know a place in NYC where I can buy Pecard or Meltonian leather lotion?

Comment

• Castor
                        • Nov 2009

Leffot in NYC has even better: Saphir.
                        Originally posted by DRRRK
                        The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• allanb
                          • Apr 2009

Perfect, thanks!

Comment

• comedyzen
                            • May 2009

I have a pair of dark brown Julius engineer boots that I want to dye black. Has anyone had experience dying their boots? I am afraid that they will have a "painted" look. I did ask a cobbler and he said he would just dye it as is.....I would think stripping the boot first would be required first...but I really have no idea.

Comment

• Who?
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by comedyzen View Post
                              I have a pair of dark brown Julius engineer boots that I want to dye black. Has anyone had experience dying their boots? I am afraid that they will have a "painted" look. I did ask a cobbler and he said he would just dye it as is.....I would think stripping the boot first would be required first...but I really have no idea.

Read this thread:
                              So, we had an 'Italian Street Fair' this weekend here in Richmond and the shop asked me to go and do some of my antiquing work at the fair. Not exactly used to people observing and asking questions as I work, but here are a couple of shoes I was doing this weekend....not finished, and alot of...

Then look here for supply:

The key to not having that painted look is using many very thin coats of dye, allowing each coat to dry and polishing between the coats.
                              WTB/WTT: Lots of Things

Comment

• thaiison
                                • Dec 2009

For my Guidi reversed stag derbies I use a smooth leather shoe cream and clean them from dust after each use. Do you guys recommend me to use other treatments as well? oil, etc?
                                Last edited by thaiison; 06-30-2010, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎