X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

Leather care

I have a specific question, but since there are so many people here interested in leather products, thought we could use this as a general thread for tips and care of leather goods.
    So my new Chelsea boots (see recent purchases) are made of a VERY soft leather. It came with somewhat of a patina on it and I love the color and finish, but the leather is so soft if I run my fingernail across it, it leaves a little mark. I wore them all day today (they were very comfy!) and there are a few little scratches on the toes but nothing you can see without close inspection.
    My question is: is this just the nature of the beast? should I let it go and write off the impending scratches and scuffs as added character? or should I treat it with something before wearing them again?
    I did spray them with a general protectant, mostly to protect against water and salt stains. But I'm wondering if I'm supposed to add polish or something to protect from scratches.
    music
  • GuitarFlame
    • Nov 2006

Re: Leather care

To care for such delicate leather, I suggest using minute applications of Lexol leather conditioner. Next, apply some tan shoe cream, Meltonian, Saphir or Kiwi works well.

The leather will look "nourished" and I'm sure it will prevent any cracking and resist sratches

Comment

• casem
      • Sep 2006

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check those out. The leather feels soft and supple but it just seems naked so I'll feel better if I put something on it. I've heard that most scratches can be buffed out, is this true?
      music

Comment

• destroyed
        • Nov 2006

firemen use obenaufs LP for their boots

fanatical collectors of vintage leather bomber jackets swear by pecards

i use the former as i've heard that it is less greasy than the latter

you can order direct from both companies

a little bit goes a long way..

broken mirror, white terror

Comment

• xcoldricex
          • Sep 2006

no one has both yet eh? i might try out pecards...

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

What I do forshoes:

1)clean them after each use, this is especially important in winter with all that salt

2)Never wear the same shoes two days In a row, let them breathe and recover from all that humidity

3)Put shoe trees after each use to absorb moisture and help retain shape

4)Use some mink oil to make them water-resistant (to some degree)

5)Polish your shoes regularly with an appropriate shoe cream/polish.

A few questions:

-I never use conditionner, I know what it's supposed to dobut doesanybody has comments on what it really does and were I could get some for a good price?

-What about some pre-distressed/weirdly shaped boots, shoe trees couldmess them up so what do you do?

-I don't do anything for leather jackets and belts, what do you suggest?

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• amojojo
              • Oct 2006

I ruined a pair of shoes with mink oil - it made them so soft and flexible as to not hold their shape! I much prefer a more protective wax-based treatment, especially if you're in a bad weather environment.

Comment

• destroyed
                • Nov 2006

mink oil supposedly DOES degrade leather and should be avoided

pecards and obenaufs is sourced from beeswax, IIRC

broken mirror, white terror

Comment

• swych
                  • May 2008

sorry i had to dig this up.

all these wax treatments make sense. but what I have here is somethign different.

my reverse calf carpe diems are getting insanely beat up, dusty and dirty. I used to just give it a brush and occasionally then mink oil it. it would work fairly well, but recently the dusting has gotten too severe. It has a weird grey colour to it now. how should i make it black again, without redyeing?

i was told that although the reverse calf looked like suede, it actually isnt. any recommendations on cleaning these babies would be much appreciated.

Comment

• theetruscan
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by swych View Post
                    i was told that although the reverse calf looked like suede, it actually isnt.
                    Suede is alternately described as Reverse Calf. I believe you've been misinformed.
                    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• black beach
                      • Aug 2008

hey fuuma,

when you say clean regularly, what do you mean? just brush them down or wipe with a dry cloth?

i live in chicago so lots of snow and salt, but i want to wear my ccp derbies.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                        -What about some pre-distressed/weirdly shaped boots, shoe trees couldmess them up so what do you do?

For my distressed boots/shoes I use travel trees similar to this. They have less spring and structure than regular shoe trees and don't seem to alter the silhouette of the footwear.

LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• swych
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                          Suede is alternately described as Reverse Calf. I believe you've been misinformed.
                          shit i feel like an idiot. thx anyhow

i've been looking for a nice cedar shoe tree for more narrow feet/ shoes actually. anyone got recommendations for shoe accessories online? brushes, oils, shoe trees, shoe HORNS (i really need a nice one for a present right now).

Comment

• philip nod
                            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
                            For my distressed boots/shoes I use travel trees similar to this. They have less spring and structure than regular shoe trees and don't seem to alter the silhouette of the footwear.

those are dope where you kop
                            One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                              • Nov 2007

Mine are from Church's. But you can get something similar anywhere.
                              LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎