X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011

not a protectant, per se, but I keep a spray bottle of water/vinegar (50/50) and a big brush by the front door. I spray down my boots and brush off anything when I get home.
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• drizzly
      Banned
      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by plasmoplas View Post
      living in a snowy locale, it is inevitable that some rock salt will find it's way onto one's boots. anyone recommend a good winterizing treatment that can deal with something a bit harsh like salt?
      i hope you are not wearing something like a1923 or ccp, i doubt snow will allow those kinds of boots to hold up.

Comment

• messenoire
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Dane View Post
        not a protectant, per se, but I keep a spray bottle of water/vinegar (50/50) and a big brush by the front door. I spray down my boots and brush off anything when I get home.
        hey thanks for posting this! i have been looking for something more gentle on my boots to clean them off. walking through the city i get who knows what on my boots and wanted something quick and simple. does the type of vinegar make a different?

Comment

• Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011

just white vinegar. if you look for salt stain remover at a cobbler, chances are its just vinegar and water with a scrubby applicator. It stinks, but works.

I also spray some on the dog's feet when he's been walking through the salt.
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• plasmoplas
            • Sep 2010

salt

i hold out on leather until the ground is clean and forecasts are clear. but every now and then there's an occasion where carrying an indoor pair of footwear isn't quite an option.

Comment

• 0JSIMPS0N
              Banned
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by drizzly View Post
              i hope you are not wearing something like a1923 or ccp, i doubt snow will allow those kinds of boots to hold up.
              no. I wear my a1923 in the snow every day. in the rain, snow, sleet, whatever. boots and sneakers.

Comment

• drizzly
                Banned
                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by 0JSIMPS0N View Post
                no. I wear my a1923 in the snow every day. in the rain, snow, sleet, whatever. boots and sneakers.
                wow can you post pics of how they held up...

Comment

• dabuliuyo
                  • Apr 2012

oh~I never care my leather stuff. I think I need to do something after read this. Any recommended brands of cream or polish?

Comment

• Dane
                    HAMMERTIME
                    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                    I use conditioner on all my leather. Pecards. I think it depends on the finish though, the matte stuff may not take conditioner so well.
                    Originally posted by dabuliuyo View Post
                    oh~I never care my leather stuff. I think I need to do something after read this. Any recommended brands of cream or polish?

Comment

• Nomadic Planet
                      • Dec 2012

leather jackets and rain

I've browsed this thread without having a clear view on the rain problem.
                      How does rain affects leather jackets ? Is it recommendable to wear one if it's raining ?
                      I own a RO blistered lamb, don't know how should I expose it to rain...

For those having had leather jackets for years (mine is recent), how have you dealt with this ?
                      thx for any advice / input on this!

Comment

• Crowzer
                        • Feb 2011

For me, I'll never wear my leather jacket while is raining.
                        @Dane, thanks. I was looking for something to take care of my leather jacket.

Comment

• drizzly
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Crowzer View Post
                          For me, I'll never wear my leather jacket while is raining.
                          what do cows do when it rains?

your jacket should be ok in rain.

Comment

• nicelynice
                            • Oct 2009

wow can you post pics of how they held up...
                            I wear Guidi and Carpe boots with thick vibram soles in heavy snow all the time

The Guidis are horse leather, I wipe them dry with a cloth and put cedar shoe trees in them to keep the moisture out. If they get very soaked from slush or puddles I put newspaper in them and won't wear them for a couple days. When the leather starts feeling dried out I apply a coat of leather conditioner (I use Saphir).

The Carpe are reverse calf. I spray them lightly with a nubuck waterproofing spray once every month or so and they have held up fine.

Obviously neither is a proper snowboot (I wear LL bean duckboots when I'm working outside or walking to work), but if I'm not going to be walking through deep snow all day they are fine. Keep I live in Japan where roads aren't salted so your results may vary if you live somewhere that does.

These aren't very SZ approved fits but here's the boots in the snow if you wanna click through:

Carpe
                            http://i.imgur.com/7CmET.jpg

Guidi
                            http://i.imgur.com/HBJwcj7.jpg

Comment

• Crowzer
                              • Feb 2011

Better have a protective cream.

Comment

• BSR
                                • Aug 2008

are you aware of something called 'tanning'? and another thing called 'dye'? FYI cows's skins aren't tanned or dyed.
                                pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                                Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎