• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drizzly
    Banned
    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by nicelynice View Post
    I wear Guidi and Carpe boots with thick vibram soles in heavy snow all the time

The Guidis are horse leather, I wipe them dry with a cloth and put cedar shoe trees in them to keep the moisture out. If they get very soaked from slush or puddles I put newspaper in them and won't wear them for a couple days. When the leather starts feeling dried out I apply a coat of leather conditioner (I use Saphir).
    Carpe
    http://i.imgur.com/7CmET.jpg
    Guidi
    http://i.imgur.com/HBJwcj7.jpg
    how did the guidi hold up in snow? not falling apart? i'd worry about all the moisture going into crevices, i dont think there is a storm welt

Originally posted by BSR View Post
    are you aware of something called 'tanning'? and another thing called 'dye'? FYI cows's skins aren't tanned or dyed.
    i am well aware, and its a risk but i have never seen it happen to a jacket , a good leather jacket will withstand moisture just fine

Comment

• Nomadic Planet
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by drizzly View Post

i am well aware, and its a risk but i have never seen it happen to a jacket , a good leather jacket will withstand moisture just fine
      well... maybe someone having the actual experience of rain on his / her leather jacket could share it here... don't know how you guys living in rainy cities in Europe deal with this issue... it rains a lot in Paris, London, etc....
      I'm going to be exposed to 4-5 months of rainy season here in Mexico soon, I want to know if I should totally avoid using my leather jacket bc it might be ruined by rain or not...

Comment

• fncyths
        • Apr 2010

saludos np!

pues, I wear my leathers in rain and snow. probably not the best for them but to each their own. i personally like the patina. for your ro leather I would take more care of it, a little rain won't hurt it but make sure you air it out between uses. if it stays soggy that can be bad news...
        Originally posted by Shucks
        it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
        Originally posted by interest1
        I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• Nomadic Planet
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by fncyths View Post
          saludos np!

pues, I wear my leathers in rain and snow. probably not the best for them but to each their own. i personally like the patina. for your ro leather I would take more care of it, a little rain won't hurt it but make sure you air it out between uses. if it stays soggy that can be bad news...
          thanks for the advice!

Comment

• chestercopperpot
            • Oct 2011

Hello all,

I recently acquired a BBS oiled lamb jacket. I absolutely love it and have been wearing for almost two weeks straight.

I've been reading this thread trying to find the best method of caring for it. Should I be using Saphir Renovateur? I also read that natural olive oil is good for it.

I've just used a bit of Saphir for now. Not sure about the olive oil.

Any thoughts would be kindly appreciated.

Comment

• Crowzer
              • Feb 2011

I put some mixa baby cream on my Julius leather (lamb) because I don't have any specifics products for now. It seems works fine !

Comment

• franz
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by chestercopperpot View Post
                Hello all,

I recently acquired a BBS oiled lamb jacket. (...)
                Should I be using Saphir Renovateur? I also read that natural olive oil is good for it.
                I'd avoid the olive oil... either get a saphir cream for oiled leather, or use a very simple (and if possible all-natural/organic/silicon-free) hand cream, as crowzer suggests.

Just don't do the same with washed lamb (much more fragile).
                Originally posted by Faust
                True story. Dude walks into Hostem, looks around, says, "I like how you took this whole All Saints thing and ran with it."

Comment

• Venus in Furs
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2009

Otter Wax Leather Salve

Thought I'd share this for those interested. I've worked in bars before which has caused the leather on my jacket to deteriorate quicker than usual. I've been using the Otter Wax Leather Salve on my CCP leather with great results.

Small-batch specialty goods handcrafted in Portland, OR. Using only the best natural ingredients, we make modern care products that are steeped in tradition.

Their products are 100% natural as well, if you prefer that kinda shit. All made in Portland

Comment

• chestercopperpot
                    • Oct 2011

I used saphir then did a nice coat of olive oil.

It worked incredibly well.

I tried the olive oil on a cheaper jacket to see if it worked and I was quite impressed. I'd recommend it.

Originally posted by franz View Post
                    I'd avoid the olive oil... either get a saphir cream for oiled leather, or use a very simple (and if possible all-natural/organic/silicon-free) hand cream, as crowzer suggests.

Just don't do the same with washed lamb (much more fragile).

Comment

• drizzly
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Venus in Furs View Post
                      Thought I'd share this for those interested. I've worked in bars before which has caused the leather on my jacket to deteriorate quicker than usual. I've been using the Otter Wax Leather Salve on my CCP leather with great results.

Small-batch specialty goods handcrafted in Portland, OR. Using only the best natural ingredients, we make modern care products that are steeped in tradition.

Their products are 100% natural as well, if you prefer that kinda shit. All made in Portland
                      otter wax is great but like wax after it dries, it cracks in the crease areas and makes things look bad

Comment

• Venus in Furs
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2009

^ I've never really had this problem. if you apply it with your hands rather than a cloth the heat helps it to better absorb. If there's any residue left after 5-10 mins, just polish it back with a cloth.

Comment

• drizzly
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2012

^ I've never really had this problem. if you apply it with your hands rather than a cloth the heat helps it to better absorb. If there's any residue left after 5-10 mins, just polish it back with a cloth.
                          i used the wax stick and rubbed it in

Comment

• Venus in Furs
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2009

Ah right, I've never tried that. I use the Leather Salve which is a thin, soft cream. Definitely one of the best leather conditioners I've ever used, the other being RM Williams Leather Conditioner.

Comment

• drizzly
                              Banned
                              • Apr 2012

Ah right, I've never tried that. I use the Leather Salve which is a thin, soft cream. Definitely one of the best leather conditioners I've ever used, the other being RM Williams Leather Conditioner.
                              thanks i'll look into it

Comment

• onijo84
                                • May 2011

Just a little update on how the ordinary vinegar on leather(boots) to clean the mold/mildew went.

After cleaning the top layer with a clean cloth, i ran a shoe brush across the areas where stitching was present. The bristles really helped in going a little deep into gaps between each stitch. It was then vinegar on a cloth and a thorough wipe down. Left them to dry as suggested on a hot day and they look as good as new now.

Thanks for the tip, guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎